The Eastern Conference Playoff Race - DC United Edition - [Various -R-]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Sep 18, 2003.

1. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Except that...

1. We haven't won in a couple of weeks, haven't scored a goal in the run of play in several hundred minutes (until Petke's goal in stoppage time), have had several kicks in the nuts (ie: big OT losses) that have to hurt psychic-ly.

2. KC is on a roll now. There was talk they've peaked. Haven't they now won 3 in a row? And they're still fighting for playoff issues (home field status) I think.

3. We'll be missing Dema--who is probably the team's best scorer and our best midfield performer (in terms of consistancy) over the past 1-2 months.

4. And Columbus has to be feeling high. They didn't just beat us, they did it in OT and they did it at RFK. Which Chicago has less to play for (I'd expect them to rest a number of key players with nicks).

2. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people are downplaying the effort Chicago is going to put into the Columbus game. Do you want to play a team that you just let beat you? Not a good precident to set.

3. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, if I'm with the Fire, the playoffs start next week - they can eliminate the Crew with a win or draw. Any time you have a chance to end the season of a team that can challenge you for the title, you take that opportunity.

4. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Cosmic proportions!?!

Oh wait, you said objectively speaking, so surely the heavy drinking should be comic proportions! ;)

5. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't necessarily disagree with this sentiment. However, I just can't see Sarachan putting his top 11 players out there. If, e.g., DMB or Razov, play next week and get injured and miss the playoffs, the amount of crap Sarachan would get would be overwhelming and deserved. So, while I think the 11 players that start the game for Chicago next week against Columbus will certainly be playing all out, I don't think you'll see the top 11.

6. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    I'd still give 5:2 odds (28% we don't make it) to anyone who wanted to take them. If bookmaking were legal, of course.

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That's exactly right. But there's another factor here too because of this. The Fire are going to field a number of players who are 1) borderline starters or 2) borderline for the roster itself.

So you're gonna get players who want to convince Sarachan that they're either a legitimate starter for the playoffs, the go to guy to sub in the playoffs or a guy that really shouldn't be booted off the roster in the off season.

However, while those guys may play hard I doubt they'll really play well as a team. Too many people are going to try to distinguish themselves. So, in the end, I still think the Fire lineup will basically favor the Crew but it'll still certainly be a game.

8. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    speaking in terms of outlook, team perspective...

I agree somewhat, to the degree that Chicago as well as DC would do well to instill the mentality for this week's games that whoever takes the field, the team needs to begin forging it's invincible mentality NOW rather than later. Chicago is the pre-designated front runner, so whichever side advances will know NOW the challenge they will face, and likely look to put a conclusive result in their first match to put the pressure onto Chicago.

While disappointed with DC's recent results the past 2 weeks, I'm anxious to see what brew Ray concoct's for Saturday's Haunt-fest.

Small wonder- at this moment, seeing 55 posts on the KC pre-game thread already......Knave manning "the point" effectively once again.

9. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Glad to do it. That was a paraphrase of a direct quote from Meola and Zavagnin on a show taped last Thursday previous to the Dallas game being played. The quote came after mentions of the thin and much discussed advantages of playing at home in Game 2.

Regardless, KC will have only Burciaga out and Wolff at something less than 100%. I don't think any Wizards are suspended. KC has won 4 in a row (for the person who asked), beating LA at HDC and following that by sweeping a 3 game homestand.

10. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Case in point: look at the job we did against Columbus. I absolutely believe that this DC United team has no quitters. There are a bunch of players on this roster with huge hearts, refuse to give up, very gutsy guys. The team we put out on the field against Columbus (with the absence of Stewart and Olsen--both talented but also hard workers) was a team of guys who really care, work hard, had encentive (besides the playoff) to show something. And yet we played some bad streaks of ball, gave up some weak scores.

Guts, hard work, effort--that is all great. But it doesn't equally stylish play, goals, ball possession, intelligent play or an absence of mistakes.

The other thought is that Columbus is (in my book), maybe the most talented roster in MLS. But I argued from Day 1 it wasn't well put together and also that Andrulis is a fool. If that team (the Crew) feels good about themselves and plays with more spirit and heart, they could awaken.

Overall, I don't feel good about this weekend at all.

11. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    geeze, louise!!!

It's ended- amazingly, given all the negative posts, doubts, We ARE IN!!! Here's hoping we put out the Fire hitting them early and often at home, too much to overcome when we go to Chicago, and the Scum find their pride in time to eliminate the hottest team in MLS (NE)just in time to have it taken away from them by our boys in black. If we can get past steps 1 and 2, it'd be great to beat NY/NJ on their own turf in front of their peasley crowd. Too sweet- I may have to see the dentist.