The Eastern Conference Playoff Race - DC United Edition - [Various -R-]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    OT: Playoff implications - Revs/Rapids (R)

Very good result tonight for United as the Revs and Rapids drew 0-0..

In essence, what this means is that United are 9 points clear of the Revs for the final playoff spot..

With 2 games in hand and a 3 point lead, we could theoretically lose 3 straight matches while NE wins one, which would tie us, but since we have clinched the season series against them already, we are ahead..

Any ties or losses the Revs get from here on out is major for our cause..

Of course, I sincerely hope we don't drop 3 straight matches..

2. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    We really need to not screw this one up. A win this weekend would go a long way towards this goal.

3. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    True dat Todd, but it won't be the end of the world either..

4. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what a shock to SoccerFan, the game went past the TV window and they stayed with it.

I hear the people on BigWorldsStrongestMan.com are pissed.

ECM :)

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Eh, we got that nice 4 minute commercial break from the 78th-82nd minute.

And Chris, suggesting something isn't the end of the world on BigSoccer? You've got balls my friend.

6. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    You need to give me the Anthony Burgess treatment to get me to sit through that game again...

What a stink-o-rama...

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, I thought it was a good game, with some ATROCIOUS refereeing. I say Beckerman gets a card just for the hair. But I thought it was very fast-paced and interesting, lots of attacking, just no dang finishing, or good defense, but it wasn't a boring defensive struggle. The first overtime was very good.
    Now if the Jersey game is a tie, it's all good, especially when we beat LA.
    Oh, who's Anthony Burgess ?

8. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Yay... We're not last! We're not last!

9. I think Lanky may be referring to this scene in Clockwork Orange, the film by Stanley Kubrick based on the novel by Anthony Burgess.

[​IMG]

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Over the first 20 to 30 minutes or so, I completely agree with you. After that though I thought it got a lot better.

11. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I thought it was pretty entertaining. Not that either team played well, but it was the most physical match I'd seen in quite some time. Kamler's stomp into a Colorado player and Mastroeni's kick to Leonard's stomach were just plain crazy. Plus, NE didn't win (though they should have; how the hell did Twellman miss that PK? Game me flashbacks of Ruiz's PK vs. Dallas)! Good news for DC and bad news for NE. What more could you ask for?

12. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Prus went overboard with the reds, but he was consistent. He's not usually card-happy (he had only had 2 reds in 11 games prior to this). I disagreed with the PK, though.

After the first 20 minutes it didn't look like either team was capable of scoring. The Revs, typically, can only threaten when Ralston can get a cross in, and while the Rapids put some nice passes together, anytime they got it to Carrieri you knew that was the end of it. Overall, there was just too much flooding in the middle up by the top of the box. Garlick played very well, though.

NewXgate got it right...

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Code:
    [u]Team	GP	W	D	L	Pts	GF	GA	+/-[/u]
    CH	24	12	7	5	43	42	31	11
    NY	23	9	7	7	34	33	30	3
    [color=blue]DC	23	9	6	8	33	31	28	3[/color]
    CB	24	8	7	9	31	32	33	-1
    NE	25	7	9	9	30	40	41	-1

Cweed - how many chickens you got in them there eggs? By my chicken and egg count we've got 3 chickens (points) and 6 eggs (potential game in hand points) over the Revs. I'm not sure I'd really call that 9 points. We've got 3 points over them and a 6 point buffer that we can't afford to rely upon.

As for the result this evening, what's good about it isn't so much the score (it would have been better for the Revs to lose) but the fact that the Revs looked really bad. Twellman looked awful and I can't believe he wasn't subbed for one of the other forwards on the bench. And that Kamler red is going to hurt them next week. Overall they just didn't look like a team that was going to start gaining points anytime soon. (Colorado wasn't a thing of beauty either but they're in the Western division so I don't care.)

As for the other matches this weekend I really think the only one that matters to us is the Crew - Scum match. A draw is probably the best result for us as that coupled with a win or a draw against LA would bump us up into second place - aka home field advantage. Though if we lose ... well, I'm too tired to consider those calculations.

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, i'm really excited about the playoffs at this point. If DC can pull 4 points out of the 2 league matches with the Metros and can go 1 and 1 against Columbus in their 2 matches (or 2 ties), we'll be sitting pretty in 2nd place and home field. As dangerous as Columbus is, it would almost be better to hope that Columbus has a couple of bad games and ends up in 4th place, while we end up in second. We could get fortunate and have Columbus upset Chicago, and then have home field for the conference finals after we whoop up on the Metros!

15. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Unless you're the first seed does home field advantage really matter? You each get a home game in the first round, and then if you advance to the finals it's a one game deal. If you come out of the 2/3 series to the finals you have to hope the 4 seed upsets the first and then you'd get home field for the final. If you're the 4th seed, you can't get home field for the final because the 2/3 seeds are automatically higher than you.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, yes, it does matter. Especially this year, because if Columbus is in the 4th spot, they are a VERY VERY dangerous team for Chicago to be playing. This isn't true in the Western Conference because the Galaxy and Wiz are crap. But would you count out a team that has Buddle and McBride as their strikers???

17. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    My point was that of a broader perspective in terms of home field advantage. There really isn't an advantage for the first round, because each team gets a home game.

18. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Yes, there is an advantage in having the home field in the first round. That would mean you get the second game in your stadium knowing exactly what you need to do to win. Road goals count twice so if you got one you're good to go. etc.

That said, I hope DC miraculously ties Chicago in the standings. That way we'd win the division (tie breaker over Chicago), face Columbus (or NE) either team we can easily beat in a two game series. Then face Chicago in a winner take all in RFK I think that sees DC through to the final. I'm ot so confident if we have to play in Soldier field in the semis.

Obviously this takes a lot for granted, but I'm here to tell you, I haven't been so excited about a DC team since the season opener in 2000.

19. Are they using away goals rule?
    I was under the impression they weren't

20. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're not. Away goals do not count double in the MLS playoffs. It's a straight up "who's got the most goals" scenario. I'm sure they don't think the average fan would understand the away goals rule.

21. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    plus, road goals is the stupidest tiebreaker in the history of sports.

22. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Sweet mother of god!!!!
    There're not using the away goals rule???
    You know, it's geting pretty frightening for whatever poor sod is trying to keep up with MLS rules and regs these days. And god help them when some poor team wins 2-1 away then loses at home game 1-0. Boy, the fans will be happy then!!!

MLS, please settle on a standard and stick with it. Is that too much too ask?

23. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    if aggregate goals are tied, it goes to 30 minute GG then PKs. what's wrong with that? road goals sucks as a tiebreaker.

24. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if COL and NY/NJ tie and dc win we are going to be in 2nd place so lets hope this goes our way

25. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody besides me think MLS should go to an away-away format + total goals for the final (like they do for Copa Libertadores)?