The Earthquakes good news thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by bsman, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that was a legal goal. Once the goalie puts the ball on the ground it is fair game. Here is another famous one from many years ago that I remember all too well. :(

2in10 and mjlee22 repped this.
  2. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    9 now but still ZERO reported deaths! :)

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I really have to be careful about what I type...:D

4. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    This made me laugh out load Don, my mother watches Hallmark channels fanatically. I printed out your post and showed it to her, she busted up laughing and agreed with CG. :ROFLMAO:

markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My mother likes them, too. I don't dare dissent. :)

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No goal - IFK for the keeper. From IFAB law 12:

An indirect free kick is awarded if a player...

...prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from the hands or kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it.

If this happened in my game (and I've seen similar) I would have a 'public conversation' (AKA ass-chewing) with the forward (i.e. lots of arm waving, pointing, etc.) and the next time it happened a caution would be forthcoming.

mjlee22 and markmcf8 repped this.
  7. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    On a completely unrelated subject:

8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

If you are specifically talking about the play involving #11 in green, you are incorrect. Take a look again - the keeper never puts the ball on the ground - the forward plays the ball when the keeper attempts to dropkick it and it never hits the ground. There is no way you can justify that as fair play.

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you talking about?o_O The GK, Chursky, puts the ball on the ground and starts to dribble it. Hunt then sneaks in and steals it.

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My mistake - I was looking at the wrong scenario (missed the 1:50 reference). In this case, there is no issue - just a remarkably unaware keeper...

I'll give myself a penalty...

[​IMG]

TyffaneeSue, mjlee22, SeaJayBee and 3 others repped this.
  11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and I watch the Hallmark mysteries and try to guess the plot. One or the other of us is always right.

I talked to Krazy George once at some length. The guy is a serious soccer fan and his analysis of our team was really good. He’s a nice guy, but he’s blown out one or both of his vocal chords.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

12. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chursky was actually deaf in one ear, which may have played a part in the incident, but, in a noisy setting like that you should be relying on your eyes!

tectonicnight repped this.
  13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm deaf in my right ear, but I'm left-footed, so I tended to play either left mid or left defender. My teammates used to scream at me a lot. I had to explain to a ref once that I couldn't hear him for spit. "Ref, I'm not being a jerk, I just can't hear you."

Oh well.

And on the good news front, I can still get Negra Modelo in the grocery store!!

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

mjlee22, davez and Beerking repped this.
  14. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    I am drinking a Fieldwork that my wife picked up at their taproom on Thursday. Got to love crawler's.

15. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Oh and the other good news is we haven't dropped a point in over a month :cool:

TyffaneeSue and mjlee22 repped this.
  16. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now we're just dropping pints.:p

staudio and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  17. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    markmcf8 repped this.
  18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the warning. I can still find plenty of beer and liquor at the local grocery store, but I don’t like buying alcohol where I get my groceries. It pees me off. So I ordered booze from one of those big box alcohol stores online, then went to pick it up. They are very nearly out of bourbon! Holy crap! Their vodka stocks are low! But I got a twelver of NM, so that was good, and citrus vodka for the wife, and they still had a bottle of Black Ridge bourbon for me, so not too bad.

The local Big Ass Grocery Store here is a division of Kroger. When our state stupidly legalized private liquor stores, the grocery stores all removed a ton of products from their shelves to make room for the booze. Grrrrrrr. (The government run liquor stores were cheaper, paid the employees better, and underage kids had dramatically less access to alcohol, and the state got more revenue from booze sales.)

Oh, and I found yeast at the store yesterday, so my wife can bake more bread. Yumm!

I think I’ll a Quakes game from 2012 today! :D

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

19. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I grew up in Washington state and it was a shock and a surprise walking into a Walgreen's my first week in San Jose and seeing all the booze they had for sale there!

20. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The legalize private enterprise alcohol bill in this state was a total scam supported by the big box alcohol stores. It hasn’t worked out well for anyone, other than BevMo, Total Wine & More, and their ilk. Maybe some smaller retailers are doing a little better, but really, it’s crap.

On the upside, those big box places do have a wider selection of stuff, so that’s sort of good, but the prices are $3 to $4 higher per bottle.

Oh well, I’ll be drinking well tonight!

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

21. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Smith's Moonshine available at Total Wine, for all you Moonshiners fans. Or people who want to get wobbly in a hurry.:ROFLMAO:

22. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    In my area, BevMo delivers or you can do curbside pick-up. And if you have an account (give them your email address), you can get $10 off, $0.05 for second bottle of wine, etc.

Essential employees, in my book! I thank them for their service and tip them heavily...

Capture.PNG

Beerking, markmcf8 and Earthshaker repped this.
  23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  24. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This AM, I got a very weird error message from my Apple Time Capsule as it failed to backup my computer. Told me my disk was not formatted for MacOS! I couldn’t troubleshoot it on my own and finally called Apple Support. The agent had me power the TC off and on, and that finally took care of the problem. Altho I suspect this is just the beginning and this 3 year old device is on its way to self-destruction.

Anyhow, I asked the guy why the website said there were long wait-times for support calls. He said that their call volume is way up because, with everyone staying home, customers are tackling all the problems with their equipment that they had been putting off for a long time. That really made me laugh...

25. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd suggest an online backup as well as local (if you need immediate access to things). There are lots of good and reasonable options including Apple, Google and smaller outfits like iDrive (which will do a full backup like Time Capsule, automatically).

It's a particularly good time to use this kind of service since it takes a while to upload and will use a ton of your monthly bandwidth allocation (if you have one... most Xfinity people do, for example) and those data caps have been lifted by most providers. After it all uploaded it's take very little to keep it updated.