The Dynamo Are a Fading Brand in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Westside Cosmo, Aug 4, 2019.

1. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I put a message out on my local pickup scocer chat group with over 100 adult soccer players letting them know they could get a free ticket to the game and no one wanted to go (or maybe no one wanted to sit next to me!?!? :p)
    These guys watch a lot of international soccer. A couple actually played in MSL at one time.

There is a huge market here.

You become relevant when you start beating Mexican teams in competitions, getting quality big name players that produce, become competitive within MLS. Start developing young stars from their neighborhood.

Dynam0 repped this.
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately the implication is that going to a Dynamo game is not worth the time, much less the cost (since you offered it for free). It’s more difficult for all sports teams and entertainment options to get people out of the house or away from competing activities.

A winning team will help, but the Dynamo relevancy has slipped so far I wonder if only a big name signing is going to get them elevated again.

TX Bill repped this.
  3. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Worked for me. The biggest complaint I hear about football, and my personal biggest complaint is how much it stops. Every 5 minutes is a commercial break. I also hate how precise it is. "Oh see there, his shoelace was out of bounds, that brilliant 80 yard TD pass is wiped off". (I fear the EPL is headed this way with VAR because there have been some doozies in the first 2 weeks) I hate that kinda crap. Soccer flows, and so what if the ball was just slightly out, it wasn't called and play continues.

I think a lot of people will see that when they go. A flowing game, your in and out in 2 hours and its not so microscoped that you have to wait 15 minutes for the review to celebrate a score. There is a reason why it is the most watch game in the world.

4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the biggest turn offs to me over the past two decades is indeed how many commercials gridiron games have. God bless the DVR! A man can condense a 3 hour marathon of commercials and the actual play down on the field into 40 minutes of gridiron bliss!

[QUOTE="Ethos, post: 38089102, member: 334772]

I think a lot of people will see that when they go. A flowing game, your in and out in 2 hours...[/QUOTE]
    This is verbatim what I remember Oliver Luck explaining to the Ch. 2 sports guys, perhaps Bob Allen and his Ch. 13 crew there in the early years of our club when they, as outsiders to the sport, asked Oliver what fans can enjoy when new to soccer, being more of gridiron and baseball fans. That sports demographic. One that I firmly believe has still not been reached as well as it should. Specifically as Ethos states, soccer offered to him as a new fan of the sport some aspect that was a headache in a treasured old sport like our code of football.

5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. But did these grown men even watch their local team from home on TV. Thus keeping up with a league that is exploding even though our own club struggles?
    On top of this angle of avoiding to watch even from the couch.
    These grown men could not sit in the August humidity and take in live footy over some beers with a good friend.
    Just typing that makes me question their f'n man card. Specifically because this is exactly what millions of grown men and their buddies do each weekend. Leave the wag at home, grab a pint with his buddies and watch live pro soccer which is his local team. I would remind your league colleges out there that not everyone is born into Barcelona or Liverpool or Juve. Most are born into the equivalent of Reading or Racing or Rayo Vallecano. Thus going, physically going to support the local team is the core of association football. This now for well over 100 years!i0qq

00:00 0
    I chcukle when I meet guys that state things like,"I don't watch MLS, I just watch fill in blank." Which is normally games I have watched as well. I tell them the choice to avoid watching theirs

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a good thread by the Brener Out guy:

7. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Big name signing(s) and then winning. If we can win at the same time, that’s just a bonus. But winning alone won’t get a lot of those seats filled.

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    I can't believe Jordan didn't bid for Chicharito's services. That would've solved ALL the Dynamo's attendance problems. LOL

10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jordan: “of course we look at all available players but we just signed a Chilean National Team player in Jose Bizama !!”

11. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    To be fair, Chicharito's been pretty emphatic that he doesn't want to come to MLS now. Would have had to pay a premium salary (out of Brener's pocket) to get him over here and I'd guess he'd want somewhere like LA/NY/Miami.

12. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    ridiculously affordable in the scheme of things. just the marketing partners you can attract would offset a good chunk of it.

no one in Houston besides us could spot Mauro Mantoas out of a police lineup after a Roosevelt Lounge brawl. Chicharito is well-known across a broad marketing spectrum: Mexicans, Central Americans, South Americans, Premiership fans, USMNT fans, etc.

^^^ such a boomer post.

no one on these boards has ever said he would solve every problem this franchise has, but it would go a long way in the "we spend actual dollars for players" department. instead of Garber bucks or Honduran Lempiras

CeltTexan, nbrooks503 and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  13. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we had that little conversation a month or so ago, we also spoke to Brener, I think you had gone to see if the TA had put your name as a Pres emeritus on the wall in their section.

I mentioned to him that Chicharito was available and then he proceeded to tell me all about how Orlando had Kaka and they didn't get to the playoffs (or maybe it was Orlando was caca and he thought I was talking about Cheech Marin).

14. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    It is sad that he couldn't tell the difference between Kaka and Chich in their impact and how each squad is/was built relative to the star.

15. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sends a message to the fans that the FO are willing to spend to compete. That’s big for this club because it’s very rare in the history of the Dynamo. They need to do it every now and then to keep faith alive. You have to take calculated risks in sports.

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we, well Dom, told AEG no go on signing Dempsey even when the money to green light the signature was there, I recall thinking that our team was gonna perhaps live in MLS as THAT team. The one that has a big market to feed and yet I hoped we weren't gonna be a club that just thinks small in a big town. Here we are years later and this mindset is more true now than ever. Like rey stated, a player like a Chicharito who has played in the EPL and La Liga and is Mexican, such a player has a pull to a broad demographic. Markets that in our city are still not reeled in. The league is growing on all levels. The level of play is very solid in 2019. Our FO must think bigger!

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That post came across as sarcastic to me but it's the internet so......

19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found this today:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/housto...ted-by-the-houston-dynamo-tickets-68061745513

There is a hiring event hosted by our very own Houston Dynamo Front Office on the afternoon of Wednesday September 11th. From 2:00PM to 5:00PM iirc. $30-$50 for a ticket to get into this hiring even that has our Houston area teams and colleges. Plus other regional colleges and that pro hockey team from up I-45.
    Did anyone else hear about this???