The Dutch Women NT Thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Oct 31, 2014.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Was Martens really offside at the goal? Of course, the referee section only looks at the calls going against GB/USA..

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm not sure what the call was on that. They never showed any replay here on the US feed. If the ball hit the cross bar and the keeper touched it back, I don't think it can be offside. There was some discussion over on the referee forum about this call.

3. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I thought so too. Poor reading of the rules by the Australian referees. Admittedly, USA had four goals ruled out as well but a legit goal remains a legit goal.

Thread on Miedema her penalty record:

4. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It was the one about the long time to make a decision. I've posted a question over there to see if I can get an answer. My understanding is if a defender touches the ball to an opposing player there cannot be an offside. I may be wrong on this.

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  7. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Okay, makes some sense :thumbsup:. Not clear to see whether she is actually offside (with her foot). Many on Twitter are doubting that actually, with pictures as evidence.

I thought they had stopped with the millimeters offside thing; I read something about the Premier League using thicker lines and following euro 2020 here.

After all, they don't use high speed or photo finish cameras with 20000 frames per second. The 24/50fps cameras are just not precise enough.

8. I think the Orange Lionesses will challenge the USA for the top spot.
    In 2019 they were freshwomen on the global stage in the final and still with respect/feeling intimidated for the achievements of the USWNT.
    This match has shown them they now at least are on par with the USA, while our most important players are still (very) young and those who impacted the most in the last 10 years for the USA are heading for the exit.

The Orange Lionesses will have an extremely benefitting run towards the WC 2023 (supposing we will qualify) with the EURO 2021 taking place in 2022.
    So it's going to be a continued playing together for over 2 years towards the WC2023, which will have an impact of forging understanding each other on the pitch without thinking about it.

9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    What do you think about Wiegman and the staff going out?

10. Something Wiegman's very good at is prepping the team for a tournement.
    What I didnot like was her sticking to a certain core of players. That was a necesity when the Orange Lionesses started to rise from a modest number of players available (I was flabbergasted by their run in the EURO2017, as I based on the matches I saw in the running up to that Euro expected to be spanked) to take the stage by storm.
    It became a habit without base. Beerenstein for instance is atm far better than vd Sande. However Beerenstein has a tendency to overlook players in better position to pass to, while taking the chance herself, which van de Sande doesnot. The truth however is that while van de Sande has a better eye for positional advantages of other players, her deliveries have turned into awfull. So in that case my choice would be Beerenstein, despite her omission I mentioned.
    The incoming coach will be without history and luggage from the rise from modest country to world power.
    So he will have a fresh look on the available players.
    I've no clue what influence the rest of the staff has/had on Wiegman or that they stay or go too. So no opinion on that.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  11. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    In 2017 there was also Foppe de Haan as help. He pushed through a few changes in the XI like dropping Vd Berg (I read - had to look this up). National team career was immediately over.

12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dutch press wants to know why not Miedema for the 3-2 PK???

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My understanding is that Martens was the designated PK taker. I think she was not helped by the long delay by VAR.

14. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    I understand she missed PK but Miedema scored 10 goals in this Olympics. I have not seen any male Dutch striker this prolific for a long time.

I don't see anyone can beat US again this year. Even though Canada is the huge underdog to US in SF, I hope Canada can upset US as Canada was robbed in SF by the referee Christina Pedersen with a 6 seconds rule call + non-call on Rapinoe's handball in the box in London 2012. I still have not forgotten this robbery.

15. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    USA population: 350+ million.
    Netherlands: 17 million.

2-2 draw. Not too shabby.
    USA should actually be ashamed they cant put away more tiny countries than them

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You guys actually cant beat a tiny country like Holland???!!!

Like for real???!!!!

17. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Soccer is in Netherlands I think the number three sport among girls/women (to actually participate and practice). How is that in USA?

Many of the most talented ball sporters still go for field hockey.

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's probably the number one youth sport here in the US. They have organized leagues starting for 7 year olds.

19. PuckVanHeel repped this.
  20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Thank you. I see now among team sports field hockey registered a faster growth among underage girls as football:

https://www.gezondheidenco.nl/steeds-meer-meisjes-kiezen-voetbal-als-sport/

Swimming has to scratch behind their ears, per these numbers you show. Second consecutive Olympics where the ladies fail to perform. They are also at risk to lose their funding (funding that's already lower as what Australia and GB are pumping in, and has been lowered since 2016).

https://www.nu.nl/sport-overig/4360748/nocnsf-besteedt-meer-geld-atletiek-en-minder-zwemmen.html

https://www.ad.nl/olympische-spelen...oeg-steun-noc-nsf-staat-op-de-tocht~a4dd5bf5/

For the most popular sport that's very sub-par.

21. I knew from the time the Orange Lionesses rose to fame that soccer was far behind in popularity despite the role models Miedema and Martens.
    So your number three couldnot be right.

22. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It depends on whether you count dancing as a sport and what level of seriousness and activity level you consider.

When you look at the membership levels (registered sporters) number three is about right. See page 44 of above link.

24. There are alot of sports without competitive activities, but nevertheless being practiced far more than soccer.