The Drop from CL to Uefa!! Should it BE????

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Pottertons, Sep 24, 2003.

1. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sort of stradling the fence on this issue. I like the idea of teams that get knocked out in qualifying being put into UEFA but I don't like the teams knocked out in group stages dropping. I think they've played their games and that's that.

I also think that they should cut the Champions League down even further in qualifying. They should take the Champions of all leagues and the second place teams of the big leagues only. The teams from the little leagues and the second place teams should play for a chance to get into group stages and where the Champs from the big leagues would be waiting.

Then you can send the second place teams from little leagues along with Cup Winners and 3rd or 4th place teams from big leagues to the UEFA cup along with the teams knocked out in qualifying for CL.

I know the money people at UEFA wouldn't like it but I just don't see how at team that finished 4th in it's league goes on to win the biggest club competition in the world.

2. Alex333

Alex333 New Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Boy,

It shouldn't. It totally screws the sporting principle. You have non-champions competing in the Champions League, that's already a small deviation, but letting the losers get a chance in the UEFA cup.

That's ridiculous. I was thinking maybe the fans could organise a sort of chain letter requesting the UEFA to suspend this rule.

3. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sanitarium

Demonic personification's listing sports via BigSoccer.com. This playing toll in tooling of ours. Statement's fascilitating justifacation through americanization of sports by myself. The smallish folk tail leaving behind thoughts. The unprovoking ideality undermining between U.E.F.A Champions League (C.L.) and U.E.F.A. Cup. Is it in question? Foremost yeses and noes applying mostly within cases in studies (not Studio Hairspray). The big four nonsignificantly has/had five others. Oh, sir! Television had nothing to do with it (explanation shaving desire of legs)! The systematical juncture working along side of compliancy. Righteous it only leads to sin amongst others. Take in, this is entertainment. If it were not, columnist would be choking liquoring evenings at establishment within localization of memorandums. Momma's boy and daddy's girl jumps out at me. Then here comes pride. Buttox whopping and demotion exonerated phrase from Sir William Shakespear "Cry havoc! Let slip the dogs of war." We've seen much. Little we've done. Can delimma feed like A Fox and A Hound? You say "They are blinded by prosperity." I say "They are sick of rules and regulations."

4. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Sanitarium

WTF did he say?

5. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting question....

Last Time they won the league.....
    ( - How many times they’ve won the league)

01. Manchester United.....2003 - 15
    02. Arsenal...............2002 - 12
    03. Blackburn Rovers......1995 - 3
    04. Leeds United..........1992 - 3
    05. Liverpool.............1990 - 18
    06. Everton...............1987 - 9
    07. Aston Villa...........1981 - 7
    08. Nottingham Forest.....1978 - 1
    09. Derby County..........1975 - 2
    10. Manchester City.......1968 - 2
    11. Ipswich Town..........1962 - 1
    12. Tottenham Hotspur.....1961 - 2
    13. Burnley...............1960 - 2
    14. Wolves................1959 - 3
    15. Chelsea...............1955 - 1
    16. Portsmouth............1950 - 2
    17. Sunderland............1936 - 6
    18. Sheffield Wednesday...1930 - 4
    19. Newcastle United......1927 - 4
    20. Huddersfield Town.....1926 - 3
    21. West Brom.............1920 - 1
    22. Sheffield United......1898 - 1
    23. Preston North End.....1890 - 2

Chelsea and Newcastle think they've big, but in history terms they've always been poor.

6. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    I think the argument that the 8 3rd place teams that enter the UEFA dramatically raise the quality ofthe competition is not borne out in the statistics.

To be sure, 00-01 and 01-02 had Finals b/w 2 ex-CL teams, stats show that in a given year, only 2-3 teams from the CL make the UEFA Cup Quarterfinal per year, which is about proportionate to the number of teams that enter in the 3rd round. In other words, the UEFA Cup 3rd round is 32 teams, so the 8 CL teams SHOULD take at LEAST 2 of the 8 spots, based on probability.

The logic of the "CL 3rd place makes UEFA Cup better" camp would indicate that the CL teams are much better than the "normal" UEFA Cup teams, but if they were, shouldn't all or most of those "superior" teams be in the quarterfinal?

99-00 - 2 CL teams in the QF
    00-01 - 2 CL teams in the QF
    01-02 - 3 CL teams in the QF
    02-03 - 1 CL team in the QF

So proportionately, CL teams do not "dominate" the "normal" UEFA teams as you'd expect.