The Dresden Files Discussion Thread {There Be Spoilers Here}

Discussion in 'Books' started by Felixx219, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No release date for Cold Days yet. Apparently, Jim Butcher is working on another project. He lives here in KC so I almost want to pay him a visit and get him focused on the Harry Dresden world. There has been rumors online of a August 2012 release.

The series is planned to be 21 books so just think we have to probably wait 7 - 10 years for this whole thing to be over with. I really hope that Butcher doesnt go the way of Steig Larsen and we never get the conclusion of the series.

2. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cold Days scheduled for a Nov. 27, 2012 release date. Suck it Mayas, we get another installment before the world ends!

4. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pre-ordered it on Amazon this morning in hardback and Kindle. I am psyched.

I wonder if the delays were because he couldn't figure out a way to get Harry out of his Winter Knight gig alive. At least, I hope he got Harry out of the WK gig. I'll be unhappy otherwise.

I also recently (finally!) re-read Ghost Story*. I'd actually put a lot of what happened out of my head so once again at the end when he found Maggie at the Carpenters' and Mouse was there I cried like an idiot. In fact, just typing about it is making me a little verklempt.

A couple of people have said that they think Molly is going to be a big part of the story going forward and I agree. In the book where she gets in trouble and winds up as Harry's apprentice, he soulgazes her. Remember the different Mollies he saw? There were several but one of them was in a gray Warden's cloak and so my money is on Molly becoming a Warden eventually. And if she does, that means that the White Council is desperate because much is made of her relative weakness in combat magic. However, the WC was desperate enough to make Harry a warden, anything is possible.

I have a feeling that this series is about to get really dark. I mean, the books have been getting darker but I think we'll see that trend continue and intensify as Butcher sets us up for the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy (or the Big Ass Trilogy, as I like to call it) that will end the series.

*Ghost Story is pretty much the only Dresden book I didn't reread immediately upon finishing it the first time. It was just too intense.

5. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually went through and listened to all the audiobooks again about a month ago. I just cant get sick of these books.

I am really eager to read Cold Days.

I dont know that he will get Harry out of the WK immediately or for a few books. There are some theories that being WK actually marries him to Mab and that maybe a child is a result of the ceremony at the table.

I have thought that Molly was going to play a big role in this series for awhile. I think she may end up being the second most important character to Harry. I could actually see her going dark and ending up going with the Black Council and being Harry's nemesis or I could see her ending up the hero. It could go either way.

6. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's some good news. James Marsters is confirmed to be back for the audio. I actually wish he'd rerecord the previous book. Was so weird hearing the older guy with a much higher voice yelling "Fuego!" in a really wimpy voice.

7. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I read awhile back that he would return. Apparently, he has some personal issues last time. I wish he would do all audiobooks, he is really incredible. I feel like I am watching a movie when I listen to it.

8. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less than a week away now.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't yet decided what to do re buying the book. I have a goofy "thing" about having all of the books in a series in the same format/size, and that means not picking up this one in hardback. On the other hand, I could probably read it and then sell it to/at the used book store and buy it again when it comes out in paperback. Hmmmmm . . .

11. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that the earlier books in the series didn't even come out in hardback, though I believe that they're publishing them one by one now.

Anyway, I pre-ordered the hardback and the kindle version.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went ahead and ordered. :)

13. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I havent had time to get to the book store so I downloaded the e-book for free. If I have time tomorrow night, I am going to go to Jim Butcher's book signing and just get the hard copy there and actually meet him. I find it amazing that he is a KC native and still lives here.

I'm 140 pages in right now. It starts a little slow but his first task from Mab is a difficult and unexpected one.

14. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My copy was waiting for me on my porch when I got home from work last night and on my Kindle once I turned on the wireless. I admit it - I squealed like a girl when I saw the package.

My Kindle tells me I'm 30% of the way through the book and I'm loving it. It's so much more pleasant to read than Ghost Story and it doesn't have the sense of gathering doom that plagues Changes. Which isn't to say that he's not up against big scary badasses, but the tone is, to me, very different.

I didn't find that it started slow because I was fascinated by the whole PT at Arctis Tor thing. There is a lot of exposition which I could personally do without but which is necessary to catch up new readers, so I tolerate it. It's a necessary evil of reading serialized genre novels.

15. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hate that authors have to explain things to people who might be reading this book like they havent read any others in the series. Why would you start reading a series right in the middle? Especially one as involved as this. I guess people do it although I find it extremely odd. It's like the previews on TV shows on what happened in previous episodes. Why would start in the middle? I would never dream of starting a book series or a TV series in the middle. I wouldnt do it with movies either. I either am really into it and watch every episode and read every book or just dont bother at all. I have intended to watch TV shows before but missed the pilot and didnt start until it came out on DVD. I just dont get why would just pick up on a story when it has already started. That's always been very odd to me. But, Butcher has always taken time to explain things about Dresden and things about the world in every book. In fact, I think he has used some of the same lines in every book to do it. I have learned to skip over some of them.

That's my rant for the day.

I am about halfway through and I am really liking where it is headed. I heard there is a holy shit moment in this book where everything changes and I am looking forward to reaching it. I am hoping to finish tomorrow.

16. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finished the book last night. The ending is an interesting one.

17. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say that I did not see that coming but damn, I love this book. I realized when I turned the last page that it's going to be at least a year before the next one. Thats going to kill me.

The last two books were so emotional - either dark and heavy or fraught with emotional reunions (the one with Mouse about did me in) - but this one was mostly just fun. The way this series used to be.

Possible spoiler here: (highlight with your mousey thing)
    Remember when Harry soulgazed Molly back when she was first in trouble with the Council? There were a several versions of Possible Molly. Now I have to go back and see if I can figure out which one corresponds to this.

18. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a warning, I didnt white out any spoilers below so if you havent read Cold Days, I would avoid it.

I heard there was a holy shit moment in this book and that was it. I actually thought it was going to be Karrin when the scene happened but it makes sense it went down how it did. It's going to be interesting how things go down going forward and if Harry finds a way to get them both out of their roles.

I was disappointed in most of the reunions. They werent nearly as dramatic as I expected them to be, especially with Murphy. Waiting for the books in this series is agonizing. We still have like 5 more books until the final trilogy so it is going to be like 10 years before we get a final conclusion. At least I know I have one good thing to look forward to every year until it is done.

The stakes keep getting higher and higher each book. Butcher has done an excellent job with building the series with every book. He hasnt failed in raising the stakes every single time. The next book will apparently include the Denarians and Harry will have to work with them on something. It is also suppose to pull Michael back into action somehow. Jim Butcher indicated that in a recent interview. I didnt realize that the Denarians are in every 5th book. They were in 5, 10 and now 15. I am not sure the significance of that. Nicodemus is one of my favorite characters and best villian so I am looking forward to it.

19. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a warning, I didnt white out any spoilers below so if you havent read Cold Days, I would avoid it.

I heard there was a holy shit moment in this book and that was it. I actually thought it was going to be Karrin when the scene happened but it makes sense it went down how it did. It's going to be interesting how things go down going forward and if Harry finds a way to get them both out of their roles.

I was disappointed in most of the reunions. They werent nearly as dramatic as I expected them to be, especially with Murphy. Waiting for the books in this series is agonizing. We still have like 5 more books until the final trilogy so it is going to be like 10 years before we get a final conclusion. At least I know I have one good thing to look forward to every year until it is done.

The stakes keep getting higher and higher each book. Butcher has done an excellent job with building the series with every book. He hasnt failed in raising the stakes every single time. The next book will apparently include the Denarians and Harry will have to work with them on something. It is also suppose to pull Michael back into action somehow. Jim Butcher indicated that in a recent interview. I didnt realize that the Denarians are in every 5th book. They were in 5, 10 and now 15. I am not sure the significance of that. Nicodemus is one of my favorite characters and best villian so I am looking forward to it.

20. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I thought it was going to be Murphy, too. I wonder if those two will ever get together? I'm fairly convinced he'll end up with Molly in the end, simply because he keeps saying it will "never happen." If anyone should know better than to say something will never happen, it's Harry.

That's really interesting about the Denarians - it's amusing to note that Harry calls them the "Nickleheads." Given the timing of their appearances, no way that's a coincidence.

21. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am really eager to see how the White Council reacts to their two most infamous Wizards being what they are. Together they might have more power than all of the WC does now.

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The official website for Jim Butcher says no formal release date for book fifteen (Skin Game), but several other places say 3 December 2013. I can handle six months I think!

Barbara repped this.
  23. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    6 Months is doable. I have plenty of reading material till then.

24. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That doesnt sound too bad but it will probably get pushed back. Last time I checked the blog, he hadnt done much on it and he is working on the Steampunk series.

25. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First four chapters being read by Mr. Butcher:

Barbara repped this.