The Draft: Prospects & Speculation

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCU, Jan 9, 2003.

1. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Now that the P-40 list is in, I figured we ought to have a list of primary draft prospects. Of course United may trade away all its draft picks, but for the moment, let's assume they keep them all. The draft order picks #1-14. Is this right?

1 DC -
    2 Scum -
    3 KC -
    4 DAL -
    5 DC -
    6 SJ -
    7 CLM -
    8 LA -
    9 NE -
    10 LA -
    11 DC -
    12 DAL -
    13 KC -
    14 DC -

The seniors at the combine are as follows:

GOALKEEPER: Michael Behonick (American), Doug Warren (Clemson), Josh Saunders (California).

DEFENDERS: Will Thornton (Connecticut), Rich Bradley (St. John's), Guy Abrahamson (Rutgers), Tim Glowienka (South Carolina), Brent Jacquette (Penn State), John Swann (Indiana), Todd Dunivant (Stanford), Tim Regan (Bradley), Steve Lawrence (Marquette), Jason Cole (St. Louis).

MIDFIELDERS: Anthony Curtis (Connecticut), Trevor Perea (Duke), Donald McIntosh (Duke), Sherif El Bialy (Rutgers), Diego Walsh (Southern Methodist), Matt Crawford (North Carolina), Ryan Mack (Indiana), David Testo (North Carolina), Ryan Futagaki (UCLA), Nick Walls (St. Louis), Jack Jewsbury (St. Louis), Andres Murriagui (Loyola Marymount).

FORWARDS: Damani Ralph (Connecticut), Matias Asorey (Florida International), Phil Swenda (Seton Hall), Machel Millwood (Towson), Jordan Quinn (South Carolina), Dimelon Westfield (Clemson), Byron Carmichael (Marshall), Pat Noonan (Indiana), Mike Tranchilla (Creighton), Tim Pierce (UCLA), Roger Levesque (Stanford).

The P-40 Players announced today are:

ARTURO ALVAREZ*
    Forward, Ht: 5-9, Wt: 145, Hometown: Houston
    Born: June 28, 1985

- Led the U.S. Under-18s with seven goals in 2002.

- The tournament's second leading scorer as the U-18s' won the Talence International Tournament (France).

- A natural finisher, he combines skill and poise near the goal.

BRIAN CARROLL
    Forward, Wake Forest, Ht: 5-10, Wt: 150
    Hometown: Springfield, VA
    Born: July 20, 1981

- A finalist for the MAC Hermann Trophy and a first team All-ACC selection as a junior in 2002.

- Started all 61 games during his three-year career at Wake Forest.

- A member of the U.S. Under-23 National Team, participated in the most recent U-23 training camp in Florida.

- A member of the U.S. squad at the 2001 World Youth Championship in Argentina.

RICARDO CLARK
    Midfield, Furman, Ht: 5-10, Wt: 140
    Hometown: Jonesboro, GA
    Born: February 10, 1983

- A first team NSCAA All-American as a sophomore in 2002, he led Furman to a 19-3-1 record and a top 10 national ranking.

- Started at defensive midfield on the U.S. Under-20s during CONCACAF Qualifying for the World Youth Championship.

- Named Georgia's High School Player of the Year as a junior and senior at St. Pius X Catholic High School.

ALECKO ESKANDARIAN
    Forward, Univ. of Virginia, Ht: 5-8, Wt: 160
    Hometown: Montvale, NJ
    Born: January 4, 198?

- As a junior, claimed the 2002 MAC Hermann Trophy Winner (first unified award).

- In 2002 set a single-season school record by scoring 25 goals, his 113 career points ranks 6th all time at UVA.

- Currently a member of the U.S. Under-23 National Team.

EDDIE GAVEN*
    Midfielder, Ht: 6-0, Wt: 145, Hometown: Hamilton, NJ
    Born: October 25, 1986

- At the age of 16 years and 2 months, he becomes the youngest player ever to sign with MLS.

- Recently began his fourth semester in U.S. Soccer's Full-Time U17 Residency Program in Bradenton, FL.

- A creative player whose size and athleticism make him an excellent ball-winner on both offense and defense.

MEMO GONZALEZ*
    Midfielder, Ht: 5-11, Wt: 145, Hometown: Paramount, CA
    Born: January 4, 1986

- Recently began his fourth semester in U.S. Soccer's Full-Time U17 Residency Program in Bradenton, FL.

- Led the team in scoring last year, tallying 21 goals and seven assists in the team's first 45 matches in 2002.

- Plays predominantly in central midfield for John Ellinger due to his ability to change the point of attack.

JACOB LEBLANC
    Forward/Midfielder, Univ. of Virginia, Ht: 5-11, Wt: 180
    Hometown: Palo Alto, CA
    Born: February 2, 1981 - Auburn, CA

- Appeared in 62 games during his three-year career at Virginia.

- Led the Cavaliers with eight assists in 2002, including four game-winners.

- Named to the ACC All-Tournament Team in 2002.

- Played with the U.S. National Team program at the Under-18 level.

RICKY LEWIS
    Defender, Clemson, Ht: 6-0, Wt: 170, Hometown: Spring, TX
    Born: May 29, 1982

- As a junior started 19 of 21 matches and tallied 14 points on four goals and six assists.

- A member of the U.S. Under-23 player pool in 2002.

- Completed his three-year career starting all but three of his 61 appearances at Clemson.

- A member of the U.S. squad at the 2001 World Youth Championship in Argentina.

MIKE MAGEE
    Forward, Ht: 5-9, Wt: 150, Hometown: Long Grove, IL
    Born: September 2, 1984

- As an 18-year old, led the U.S. Under-20s with 14 goals in 2002.

- Had tryouts with Ajax (Netherlands), Viking (Norway) and Universidad Catolica (Chile) and frequently trained with the Chicago Fire.

- Scored four times in a 5-2 win over Ukraine to put the U.S. into the semifinals of the C.O.T.I.F. Torneig Internacional in Spain.

- Played for U.S. in 2001 U-17 World Cup.

LOGAN PAUSE.
    Defender, North Carolina, Ht: 5-10, Wt: 155
    Hometown: Hillsborough, N.C.
    Born: August 22, 1981

- Earned All-ACC honors as a defender in 2002.

- Helped lead North Carolina to the 2001 National Championship.

- A member of the U.S. U-23 & U-20 National Teams.

- Played his first two seasons at midfield, where he started for the Tar Heels.

DAVID STOKES
    Defender, North Carolina, Ht: 6-3, Wt: 185, Hometown: Dumfries, VA
    Born: May 28, 1982

- One of 15 finalists for the MAC Hermann Trophy as a junior in 2002.

- Named the Defensive MVP of the 2001 NCAA College Cup, leading his squad to the National Championship.

- Traveled to Portugal and Italy with the U.S. Under-23 National Team in February 2002.

- Started all 71 games of his career at North Carolina.

JASON THOMPSON
    Forward, Eastern Illinois, Ht: 6-1, Wt: 185, Hometown: Garland, TX
    Born: November 22, 1981

- Finished his three-year career at EIU with 40 career goals and 96 points, tallying 14 goals as a junior.

- Scored twice for the U.S. Under-23s on a four game tour of England in 2002, including one against Manchester United's reserves.

- Led the nation with 21 goals as a freshman in 2000.

- Tied his own Missouri Valley Conference single-game record by scoring six goals against Illinois-Chicago in 2002.

* = High School Aged
    (Draft order ammended)

2. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    Another thing to remember is the announcement of MLS expanding the roster to 24 slots, adding two more developmental slots, now totalling six. This will allow us to draft players like Justin Mapp without feeling that if they don't produce right away, then it was a wasted pick. Good move by the league.

3. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    The birthdate on Eskandarian must be wrong. I don't think he's 17. :)

4. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD

DCU has the #5 pick.

5. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dallas has #12

6. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Of the above listed prospects, which do you think United is most likely to try to take?

As I see things, United need (in order) 1) a forward, 2) depth in midfield, 3) depth at defense wouldn't hurt, and 4) a back up keeper is a possibility.

For 1), it looks as if Esky is a sure thing at #1.

For 2) and the #5 pick, I don't see any of the college MF's tempting Hudsper. #5 would also be too high to take LeBlanc, Ricardo Clark will probably be gone by then. Is Brian Caroll worth taking at #5? That means that United might take a defender there, fulfilling need 3)? Stokes and Lewis will be very tempting if still on the board.

Or will United once again be tempted by the promise of YOUTH at #5? They may just take Memo Gonzalez at 5.

Would United draft Carroll at #5, passing on Memo. Or's he not rated Carroll that highly? Would they go for Stokes or Lewis (if they're still available)?

With #'s 11 and 14, I imagine United will be tempted to take a solid college senior like Scott Thompson (defender, UCLA) or Doug Warren (GK, Clemson) with one pick and to draft P-40 (maybe even one of the 16 year olds) with the other pick. Though, THE CAP may dictate that United take P-40 players with both #'s 11 and 14.

My guesses (sticking my neck out):

#1: Esky
    #5: Stokes -- making room for a Prideaux trade?
    #11: Carroll (wishful thinking? -- LeBlanc instead?)
    #14: Gaven (we stick another in the SoS's arse by drafting an NJ born teenager)

Let the rebukes fly and the speculation begin.

7. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a kid from Ghana in my school too(along with a few germans the brazilian and some asian kids) and he said that he didnt know anyone who came here who didnt take 2 years off their age. they do so because younger kids get in easier... he thinks Adu did the same thing.... If its true he really is 15.... but back to the subject... there is that kid from UVA who led the team in assists.. i cant remember his name but he was teammates with alecko... getting the two would bring more unity on the field... combining the teams highest scorer with best goal maker would be great....

he wouldnt tell me whether he changed his age or not ;)

8. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 pick is Chicago (for Wolff)

Let's not forget that we need a backup keeper!

GM

9. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know of a mock draft out on the web? Not just for United but for the whole league?

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I thought I read that Adu and his family won a lottery or something to come here. If that was the case then I don't think the age would come to play a factor.

I could be wrong, though.

11. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Why is everyone so high on Stokes? On the "Stokes and Pause" thread in the college and amateur forum I was shocked to find that Logan Pause seemed much more highly regarded. This was surprising to me since all I heard about was Stokes.

12. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    His mom won the citizenship lottery, which means that her and her sons qualify faster to become US citizens.

Their residency status is determined at the time of entry, hence the age changing.

13. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    They are doing this sort of stuff here in BS at this link: MLS

14. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    ]

Good guesses DCU..

#1 - Esky is a done deal

#5 - I'd go with Ricky Lewis of Clemson - could jump right into starting left back spot.. Stokes is also a good possibility but if we get this Bulgarian defender, Stokes will probably be bypassed..

#11 - Logan Pause - from all reports I've heard, he has passed by Brian Carroll and played pretty much all the minutes for the U-23 team that went to Portugal and played very well.. Carroll being a local boy might have some influence..

#14 - My sleeper pick of the draft - Jason Thompson.. Good size, speed and decent skill...

I think United and Hudson in particular are going to be moving away from the 16 year olds for a while unless it's someone who simply blows their socks off with maturity and ability (Freddy Adu in 2 years?).. Having the 2 extra developmental spots is a big plus for the league and United in particular because as of now, they don't have any of the 6 spots filled in...

15. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    #1 pick, DCU, Eskandarian.
    #2 pick, SoS, they keep hoping for Alecko, which tells me they aren't that sold on Clark. Plus, they don't need a D-mid (just traded for Richie Williams, have another youngster you played back there as well). So I think they pass on Clark. But they could use depth on the frontline or a good outside defender who can start right now.
    #3 pick, Chicago. Lots of options here. Mostly likely Mike Magee. But anyone who could start for them right now is an option. But with Armas and MArsch on their team, they ain't chosing Clark.
    #4 pick, Dallas. This in a hinky situation. If they get Stewart, they need to create cap room so they'll cut a veteran or two and that might create position needs. Otherwise, with Deering, the Irish U-21 D-mid and Stone, they're set at D-mid so aren't picking anyone there. I think they'll go for either a striker or A-mid.
    #5 pick, DCU. Ricardo Clark.

And just like that, we get the two best players in the deepest draft in MLS history. Unless we trade a pick. Or unless Chicago trades their pick to get two first round picks. Or unless SoS trades their pick (b/c they covet only Ricardo Clark and could care less about anyone else).

16. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a gentle reminder, gentlemen, that we need to draft a back-up keeper. The odds are getting short that St. Nick can go through yet another season uninjured.

I hope we can draft this kid Clark, just so I can see what's got everybody all hyped up about a sophomore.

GM

17. jelliot

jelliot Member

Jun 10, 2002
    DC, Adams Morgan
    1rst pick, Alecko
    5th pick, Ricardo Clarke
    11th pick, Phil Salyer
    15th pick Doug Warren.

The rest of our draft picks do not matter if we get these 4 players. I could not be any happier if this is the senerio.

18. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Salyer in the draft? I didn't think that was confirmed.

Why are you guys so much higher on Clark than on Pause? (you gotta admit, that's an awesome name for a stopper!)

MLS has Clark listed at 5-10 and 140 lbs. I know athletic does not necessairly mean big, but even Alecko out-weighs him by 20 lbs!

19. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    hey remeber there are picks after that

20. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    And I'd bet that it will be in a later round that we take the GK from AU.

21. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He can be drafted and the team that chooses him would have his rights for 2 years if he decides to sign with MLS. But he hasn't signed yet.

Apparently they are giving him the same lowball/punishment offer they gave Twellman last year when he came back from Germany and Phil won't play ball.

22. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Then Phil better hope someone in the A League wants him. He is not in a real strength position and he should be realistic and see that the league rewarded Twellman when he delivered the goods.

23. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Probably will be Bohonick in the late rounds. He trained with the team for a couple of months and probably is the reason that McGinty was waived. Physically a good player, but he needs to learn the game. As the practices went along he showed obvious improvement. Simpson was that good of a teacher - is Mike Ammann his replacement?

But there's an interesting story involved with the backup GK situation. Everyone knows that Warren from Clemson is probably the highest rated GK in the draft. How many know that his freshman year was spent at Indiana Univ? He was recruited by Asst. Coach John Trask.

As for the others, don't be surprised if you see Noonan, Swann, and Mack - Indiana Univ. Maybe not on the regular roster, but on the Reserve Squad. Remember, in 2004, DCUnited will lose possibly Olsen, Etcheverry, Alegria, and probably two out of Convey, Nelsen, Q1, or Q2 (just a hunch). I get the feeling that the team will be using "Just wait a year on the Reserve Squad" tactic with some of the players it drafts in 2003. For all the RH & Co. naysayers about their ability to draft and develop talent, this will be an obvious measurement. Six open Reserve Squad spots, no P-40's . . . it will be interesting.

On a different topic, pre-season games in Charleston (Saturday, March 29th) and Richmond (Saturday, April 5th). If you haven't been to Blackbaud Stadium, go just for the experience of what the best soccer stadium in the US is really like - it pukes on Columbus and Lockhart. It's about an 8 hour drive. I recommend you go early and check out the city. As for Richmond, using our BS.com connection of "Bushman" and "Daniel La Rouge" DCUnited fans can probably get an entire section to themselves.

24. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    MLS has their Combine Guide* available on the website.

Ray will be there with the rest of the coaching staff and will get a particularly close look at this bunch:

Code:
    [size=2]
    [b]ADIDAS MANIA[/b]
    NUMERICAL ROSTER
    [b]NO	NAME			POS	AGE	HT	WT	HOMETOWN		COLLEGE/CLUB[/b]
    45	Jordan Quinn 		F 	21	6-3 	180 	Ft. Lauderdale, NJ 	South Carolina
    46 	Byron Carmichael 	F 	21 	6-1 	170	Lumberton, NJ 		Marshall Univ.
    53 	Shavar Thomas 		D 	21 	6-1 	195 	Kingston, Jamaica 	Univ. of Conn.
    54 	David Stokes 		D 	20 	6-3 	195 	Dumfries, VA 		UNC (P-40)
    60 	Kyle Singer 		GK 	22 	5-11 	175 	Plymouth, MN 		Boston College
    66 	Tim Glowienka 		D 	22 	5-9 	165 	Oak Ridge, TN 		South Carolina
    67 	Brent Jacquette 	D 	21 	6-0 	167 	Wallingford, PA 	Penn State Univ.
    68 	John Swann 		D 	23 	5-10 	180 	Brownsburg, IN 		Indiana Univ.
    69 	Matt Crawford 		M 	22 	5-10 	160 	Durham, NC 		North Carolina
    70 	Guillermo Gonzalez 	M 	17 	5-11 	145 	Paramount, CA		Project-40
    71 	Dimelon Westfield 	F 	23 	5-9 	165 	Morvant, Trinidad 	Clemson Univ.
    72 	Pat Noonan		F 	22 	6-0 	170 	Ballwin, MO 		Indiana Univ.
    78 	Hayden Woodworth 	M	22 	5-9 	155 	Boothwyn, PA 		Messiah College
    83 	Diego Walsh 		M 	23 	6-0 	184 	Miami, FL 		SMU
    84 	Ryan Mack 		M 	23 	5-10 	160 	Beverly Hills, MI 	Indiana Univ.
    89 	Eddie Gaven 		M 	16 	6-0 	145 	Hamilton, NJ 		Project-40
    90 	Logan Pause 		D/M 	21 	5-10 	155 	Hillsborough, NC 	UNC (P-40)
    COACHES: Ray Hudson and the staff of D.C. United

[/size]

*requires Adobe Acrobat Reader

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Though I doubt it will happen, I'd love to see United draft both Ricardo Clark and Ricky Lewis. Think of the marketing and headline opportunities

"Come see the Ricky-Ricardo show!"

"Lewis & Clark help United explore victory."

And so on...

Turning serious, I'd like to suggest an alternative to taking Akeco Eskandarian No. 1. I'd like to see United draft UConn's Shavar Thomas, who is the best defender in collge soccer right now.

I didn't even know he'd signed till I saw him listed on the combine roster. But, this kid is the real deal. 6-1, 195, strong as a bull, fast and good on the ball. I've seen him play 3-4 times and he reminds me of Sol Campbell.

He's not as good as Campbell but he's a stud.

He has already played for the Jamaican senior, or, if you prefer, "full," national team, including in World Cup qualifiers. That is something no other player can claim.

And, though he's a fur'ner, he's born in 1981 so he counts as a Transitional International and, if MLS doesn't change the rules, will be a TI for 3 seasons, giving him ample time to try and get a Green Card.

If United doesn't draft him No. 1, they won't draft him at all because he won't be there at No. 5.

I know taking Thomas doesn't address the forward need but there are other forwards besides Esky in the draft they could take at 5 and/or 11 - Nate Jaqua, Mike Magee, Jason Thompson, Arturo Alvarez, Roger Levesque, Mike Tranchilla.

Taking Eskandarian won't be a bad pick, especially since it fills a need, but if you subscribe to the theory of taking the best available player, Thomas is probably the way to go.

BTW, unless they get Clark first, I really like the ida of taking Pause at 11. He's got a nice upside and as a P40 player he won't count against the roster.

Finally, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they drafted Doug Warren at 14. United obviously needs a GK, Warren is the best one in college and, before transfering to Clemson he played his freshman year at Indiana and he was recruited to Bloomington by a certain John Trask... Food for thought.