The downward spiral

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ursula, Aug 22, 2002.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Just finished watching the Metro Soccer report on MSG. Very little on the metros- big features on the Cosmos reunion game and on the womens game and international headlines but they did lead off with the metros and, boy, what they said...

What did they say? Man, is this one team that is in disarray. They interviewed Ross Paule and Tim Howard and these guys were deer in the headlights. They don't know what's going on, they do know that the mental mistakes are killing them and it seems like they don't have a clue how to pull out and get back to winning. After the interview Shep Messing stated his belief that Zambrano is on the hot seat but unfairly because it's the players who were just not getting the job done. It was harder to paint a gloomier picture that what I watched just now.

Now I've (and you probably) have heard the metros are going downhill, etc, but these interviews were truly scary and suprised my expectations. No sugar coating. They reminded me of interviews of the Orioles in 88 when they were in the midst of their season opening 21 game losing streak- the metros are one depressed team.

2. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Sucks for them as athletes, but they are the 'scum.
    With the road to the playoffs being what it is for United, chaos, disarray and a slump on their part works for me.
    Mark

3. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Skip I'm glad to see you taking advantage of the recently bought sports package!

4. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    WORKS FOR ME!

5. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly this isn't an attempt to garner sympathy for the team we hate with great hating! If they suck, they suck. "Tough titty," said the kitty, when the milk ran dry. Hate them when they are good (like that will ever happen) and hate them when they are bad. And how can at least some of the blame not rest on Zambrano's shoulders?

6. morenolsen

morenolsen New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    An obvious ploy from that clever bunch up north.

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Man, If I had to wear those Godawful uniforms, play in that Godawful swamp and have those ESC wankers (rooting?) golf clapping for me, I wouldn't be depressed. I'd be suicidal.

8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Amen.

9. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Regardless of their psychological or soccer states, the Metros always play us tough. When these two sides play you truly can throw out the records. With all of the players transferred between the two sides, it should be a fiery game.

Looking at their defense, we need to utilize our speed and get behind them. I'd like to see Reyes take a few shots this game. I'm expecting a 2-1 United victory in the swamp. If we win this one, I think we'll get to keep the name "Atlantic Cup" as it rightfully has been ordained. ;)

Don't forget to vote for "Other" and specify Atlantic Cup over on the MetroStars website. Heh.

-Tron

10. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    The downward spiral...what a shame. And for once, it's not us!

11. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Wow, not what I expected from the title of this thread.

I was thinking either..
    1. DC in the Post-Arena era or
    2. Nine Inch Nails

12. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    Does this mean that they've pulled out of their nosedive, or just that we are nose-diving faster?

13. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Yesterday just proved that we suck worse than them and I am glad it will be the Metrodonkeys who go out to San Jose in the Playoffs and not us.

14. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    No they haven't pulled out of their nosedive yet. the fact that we didn't have an idiot's sense to beat them only makes them still better than us. But being better than United is nothing to get excited about; it's more on the lines of Bhutan beating Montserat...