The "Don" now said 22 teams by 2020..

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by SteveUSSF_ref8, Feb 16, 2011.

1. I<3NJ

I<3NJ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Jersey Shore/Philadelphia
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando is such a joke. St. Louis needs to have a team. If all the PacNorthwest teams were brought in because of their history, there is no reason St. Louis shouldn't have a team in 2013. 3 areas with the richest soccer history in the country, Seattle/Portland/Vancouver, Newark/Harrison/Kearny, St. Louis, (and Fall River). So let's get this done, no?

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a 75 million Dollar check?

3. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course there is a reason, there's no owner and no stadium. Fix those issues and they get a team.

4. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Pacific Northwest teams were not brought in because of any soccer history.

St. Louis will come into the league when it has a wealthy owner, a stadium plan and a viable plan for getting butts in seats.

5. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If history is a yardstick, why are Tulsa, Minnesota, Rochester, and San Diego not mentioned?

6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude. We drew as many as Columbus did for our Newcastle friendly. And won. Soccer is on the rise here whether you like it or not. Get over it.

St. Louis is heavily overrated. It may be big for amateur soccer, but every attempt to bring pro soccer there has fallen flat on its face. They didn't even have a team in the original NASL. There's a reason MLS isn't there already. All the talk is on NYC2, Orlando, Minneapolis and Atlanta. St. Louis isn't happening.

7. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fully agree with you about Orlando. There is no reason at all that Orlando should not be the 20th franchise, followed by NY2. But, the "DON" has now down graded Atlanta, and placed St. Louis on the radar, with the league looking for investors.

8. chudbeagle

chudbeagle Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um...
    [​IMG]
    1967-77 NASL

9. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Um, yeah, they did; St. Louis Stars, 1967 (NPSL), 1968-77 (NASL). They never broke 10,000 in average attendance (several sources, including Dave Litterer's Soccer Archives, and Kenn Tommasch's (sp?) page), and were outdrawn by the Atlanta Chiefs/Apollos four out of the eight years both cities had teams. They were pacesetters for there time, though, as they used a predominantly American roster throughout their existence. ;)

10. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Beat me to the punch. Kudos to ya. :)

11. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Link? Not challenging you; I just want to read it myself.

12. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would challenge Steve.

And I'm sorry about that. Someone has it hidden on the NASL page on Wikipedia. Their team list needs to be redone to unstack all the moves. The Strikers are hidden as well.

13. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    - Minneasota
    - Atlanta
    - New York
    - Detroit

St Louis, San Diego, Orlando, and San Antonio are risky but could all be a bit below avg (where avg = Houston)

14. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Orlando sure knows how to draw a crowd. Casey Anthony could sell out the Citrus Bowl.

15. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    The only city that MLS has taken seriously for expansion right now is NY2. And even that has more question marks than the Riddler's costume. Other than that, no other city - especially Orlando - has been taken seriously by the league, other than lip service by the Don. To suggest otherwise makes you a moron (hello SteveUSSF_ref8).

16. jephweiser

jephweiser New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    KCMO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sure at least part of the reason that St. Louis is on the Don's radar is because the midwest is lacking in rivalries. The Sporting ownership (OnGoal) has most likely discussed this with the Don as I know they would love to have a natural rival.

I for one would love to see St. Louis get a team. I didn't like the previous plan for the stadium to be in Illinois. I think KC/St. Louis/Chicago would make a nice Midwestern rivalry much like the pacNW and I-95 rivalries.

17. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would San Antonio be risky ?

18. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i am pro san antonio, minneasota, and atlanta (because of location)

but the don probably looks at a bunch of things like tv markets and wealth growth of city and registered soccer players. ill put it ahead of sacramento and san diego for sure.

19. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TV Market - 37th, but completely untapped and shared only with one other pro team. Bleeds into Austin market which has no pro teams in any major sport. Columbus is 35th, for comparison.

Wealth - San Antonio has one of the 100 wealthiest zip codes in the United States (and ahead of anything in Dallas, for perspective) http://wealth.mongabay.com/tables/100_income_zip_codes.html

Growth of City - San Antonio-New Braunfels Metro is 25th in the country in metro population (1hr away the Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos metro is 35th) ... and the growth is 25+% for SA metro and 37+% for Austin Metro.

Registered soccer players - no clue, looked for a while but couldn't find numbers.

20. chudbeagle

chudbeagle Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although it's from way back, San Antonio did terrible in the NASL averaging 4,412 and 4,794 in their 2 seasons. Again, it's now a different timeframe but I do not see San Antonio is viable in the least for MLS.
    [​IMG]

21. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
  22. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Equating anything from the NASL to today, is a fail.

Also, San Antonio was on the cusp of the MLS but the political players changed right at the wrong time.

23. chudbeagle

chudbeagle Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saying things like "... is a fail" makes you sound like you listen to Rebecca Black and OMG all your kool friendz.
    I already SAID it's not the same timeframe, but what proof do you offer San Antonio would ever work and is even being considered? And, I
    l'll pass on your X-Files conspiracy theories about the "political players". San Antonio has failed each and every time with teams in the WFL, WLAF, USFL, Arena Football, CFL and IHL.
    Again, offer some proof as to why it would work there.
    I have no problems with a team going there but I don't see it being supported properly.

24. chudbeagle

chudbeagle Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Wolves? That was the 1960's and before the NASL was really even the NASL. has nothing to do with anything. Shit, Vanilla Fudge were still on the charts then!
    Also, the L.A. Aztecs flopped as did the California Surf. Those issues stemmed from poor ownership (Elton John? Really Aztecs?) and playing in cavernous baseball stadiums.

25. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    As much as i dislike them The Spurs.