The Distract me from 2020s P&CE Thread Part Deux

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jun 27, 2022.

1. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Woo woo!

Steam Train Fanatics Are Rebuilding This Mythical Speed Record-Chaser From Blueprints
    The T1 was a streamlined monster that could achieve 100 mph.

byJames Gilboy| PUBLISHED Oct 3, 2022 2:30 PM

[​IMG]
    Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago/Getty Images

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Dodging bullets from Crips and Bloods doesn't make your tastes better, you little scavenger. There is nothing Whiter than Surf "music".

Get over your mom's impression of you

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Big powerful brute of a thing wasn’t it.?

The real speed record holder though was the graceful, streamlined Mallard. It used to run the London Edinburgh route and reached a timed speed of 126mph.

A7B71237-B3C2-42CF-A461-EAAF9BB5DA63.jpeg
    Mallard is on display at the fantastic Railway Museum in York (well worth visit) along with the first 100mph train The Flying Scotsman and a model of the engine that started it all The Rocket.
    The Rocket ran the very first railway route from Liverpool to Manchester at an amazing 25 mph.
    Up to then the horse held the speed record. :)

Funkfoot and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
  5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was at the opening weekend of that museum! Mostly by chance. We had seen York Cathedral -- hated it, my brother and I -- and it was raining to wreck my mom's other plans. In desperation, we went to the museum and had a great time.

soccernutter, Dr. Wankler and usscouse repped this.
  6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    For the opening. That would have been great.

7. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, most people’s cliche idea of SoCal is beaches and surfing, but yours is gang warfare?:ROFLMAO:

And personally I think surf music gets monotonous, but at its best it’s just simple kickass rock n roll.

soccernutter and Sounders78 repped this.
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm halfway kidding. Roadkit just leaves the rails from time to time with his regional biases.

Yeah, my cliche idea of SoCal is either a USC game or a Mark Furhmann crime scene. I'm old enough that I wouldn't have been a regular on the surf scene..

9. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My hometown in the burbs was full of USC fans, so probably resembled your image in that way, very white and with the Friday night high school football games being huge events.

But that town is now majority Chinese immigrants and looks nothing like it did then, and the football program is dead in the water. Such is the way of things.

soccernutter and Auriaprottu repped this.
  10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I miss the attention given to school extracurriculars back then. Even in a town the size of the one I grew up in, you xould get 12K + standing on any Friday night game between two local schools. Now that town is literally 7x bigger and the two bands are bigger than the crowd. Having more shit to do shoukd never take away from your kids.

11. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like maybe football is evolving toward what all the other high school sports besides basketball have been, something that only family members care about and show up for. Like in both my high school days and my son’s the soccer games were a frickin ghost town.

soccernutter and Auriaprottu repped this.
  12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'll add, having grown up a couple town over, that my town was USC/UCLA. Man, that week saw all the fandoms come out, all the way from schools to near-block parties.
    And, yeah, Friday was football. Because it was the popular place to be, not because we were any good.
    And we were also, I'm guessing, about 30 to 40 percent non-White. Mostly Chinese/Taiwanese with a few Koreans, Japanese, and Vietnamese. And I know of at least 1 Cambodian. There were also a spattering of Indians (country), Latinos, and Blacks.

Now...pretty much the same, I think.

I would argue that is because you were involved in those, as I'm recalling you were in band, and thus football. My mom was the same, but being in PA hated playing in the cold.
    In my case, being cross country then soccer then track, I never saw any significant crowds. The girls team would get the occasional 500+, particularly when playing against @luftmensch's school as they were two of the best in the region, if not state (they played in the SoCal finals my junior). But we had a lot of other extracurriculars as well. And, yes, the fans which showed up were mostly the parents, or boyfriends/girlfriends, or those hanging around. But for our town, sports was never a priority for most students. Even the top striker on the girls soccer team was our valedictorian and now runs her own law firm. And one of the students whose dad pushed him the hardest in sports now owns a couple (or more) health/fresh food stores (think Whole Foods, but better).

Auriaprottu and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyway, it's squeaky bum time.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/05/foot...urinho-english-dictionary-spt-intl/index.html

Now, the linguistic ingenuity of two of the most influential coaches in modern football – Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho – have been officially recognized by the Oxford English Dictionary (OED).

Ferguson’s phrase “squeaky bum time” and Mourinho’s “park the bus” comment were two of 15 football-themed OED additions ahead of the World Cup in Qatar later this year.

Dr. Wankler and song219 repped this.
  14. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My family was UCLA oriented (dad and cousin went there, brother a massive fan), and there were only a few others in my class. Generally smarter and more left-leaning than the USC fans.:D

soccernutter repped this.
  15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My NorCal junior high school now officially consists of 97% minority students and my high school is 94% minority. Both being up from about 25% minority back in the day. And those schools are in entirely different towns, as we moved after 8th grade.

Things indeed have changed.

luftmensch and soccernutter repped this.
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, that's my mom you're talking about. ;):p (She got her MS in Chemistry are USC.)
    Yeah, it was U Can't Learn Anything versus University of Spoiled Children.
    Back then I was biased regarding education. Not anymore. I'd recommend UCLA over USC for just about everything now.

luftmensch repped this.
  17. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Hey @Naughtius Maximus ..... forget pizza. Tonight for dinner I'm making that British dish pietanza a base di salsiccia cotta in pastella with applesauce on the side. Yum! :)

Ps...@blissett can translate if needed! :thumbsup:

blissett repped this.
  18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Bay Area had a similar thing going with Stanford vs. Cal. Well, people didn't say that Cal students were smarter than Stanford students, that would have been a stretch. But the thought among the left tended to be that Cal was just as good as Stanford, but cheaper and more politically correct (to use an anachronism).

Auriaprottu, soccernutter and luftmensch repped this.
  19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #1294 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    I visited SF 20 years ago and bought a Cal hat. Several people asked enthusiastically "are you going to the Big Game?" Had no idea WTF they were talking about. It has to be like 20th on the big rivalry list of CFB.

20. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Someone should take a axe to that list.

21. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Paul Bunyan's axe?

Auriaprottu and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  23. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Careful, that could have malware inside.

Dr. Wankler and soccernutter repped this.
  24. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt. Everyone knows the "big game" is Harvard vs. Yale.
    :p

Dr. Wankler and soccernutter repped this.
  25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was Cal Tech v. MIT. Of course, Cal Tech whooped 'em.

[​IMG]

26. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Rutgers v. Princeton is nowhere near what it used to be.

My dad, infantry veteran of D-Day, used to cheer for Navy in the Army/Navy game. Why should he cheer for ********ing officers? Eventually (early 60s), he realized he was still cheering for future officers, so he started giving that game a pass.

luftmensch repped this.