The direction of FS Espanol

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by el mofles, Nov 15, 2003.

1. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'll have to say that this year has been Fox Sports Espanol best year in 3 years. THey've put on more EPL, live Brazilian league, MLS, Cart Series and W.S. Baseball. A major upgrade from the last few years where it seemed like every good thing they had going for them they would some how manage to loss the broadcasting rights for it or decide not to show in spanish the next season. The past 3 years I was feeling the plan was to convert the channel into a Tape Delayed festival bookended with 12 hours of paid programming, but this year things have gotten much better although the first quarter gave the impression it was just running through the motions. Now a list of good thing and Bad things

Good
    All the local narration and commentating talent is great and improving. More assignments for them.
    EPL: Great that we're getting one more game even if it's tape delayed and great with the Argentine EPL wrap-up show.
    Copa Sudamericana and Libertadores: Great tournaments, but some people may not like it when I say they made a smart move by replacing the very biased TyC commentators and putting in the local guys. Yeah the TyC guys are good, but alway with nationalism getting in the way of narration although they have calmed down a bit .
    Argentine League: Excellent. ALthough it seems they may want to phase it out gradually with no repeats or sometimes tape delayed game instead of regular Sunday live one,
    Brazilian League
    Cart Series Great races. One improvement maybe the sound it still sounds a bit too inside the studio.

The Bad
    PQThe only problem which by solving it would make the other very minor ones seems to not exist. I remember during the summer ManU (Man-Juventus) tour the PQ was excellent crystal clear almost like watching baseball on FOX, but then the it seems somebody did something to the connection it was back to the same contrasty soft image of always.
    Baseball that isn't MLB Some may disagree, doesn't matter from what country the narration is super bad, the image has 7 different logos and score graphics, the crowd isn't even interested in the game and most importantly it's delayed a day.

More to come........

2. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    The 10-year contract between TyC and FOX Sports Int'l for Futbol Argentino will expire in June 2004.

Futbol Argentino in 2003-2004 is not the Futbol Argentino of 1995-1996.

Cash-strapped Argentine clubs had to sell off all the stars to pay their bills.

Only the kids or players who are past their prime are left.

===

CART is in bad shape as a business, having been trounced thoroughly by IRL in the champ car wars. Who knows how long CART will last?

===

As for winter beisbol: will ESPN try to outbid FOX for the rights to Serie del Caribe? ESPN Deportes will be up and running in 2004, and ESPN already produces Serie del Caribe for broadcast on ESPN DOS in Northern Latin America and Caribbean. ESPN Deportes will have Liga Pacifica Mexicana beisbol when it launches.

3. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    TyC announcers still do Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana matches involving teams from "Cono Sur": Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, and Uruguay.

FOX Sports Int'l announcers in Los Angeles do the games involving teams from "Cono Norte": Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Peru, Venezuela.

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    TIME OUT!!!
    CART HAS NOT BEEN TROUNCED BY THE I$L !!
    The I$L is a god damn sham of a league and is only being propped up by Tony Satan George and his Brickyard 400/ I$L 500 / USGP income. TV ratings for the I$L are down across the board, attendance has slipped as well, and they have the worst problem of all..... flying race cars!!!

CART hit a speedbump.... no doubt. However their new ownership led by Gerry Forsythe and Paul gentalozzi will help steer the ship in the right direction.

The I$L has not won. CART has not won.
    Open wheel racing in America has lost.... All thanks to Tony Satan George!!!

5. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Really they should let ESPN have it since from the beginning no one has really watched the tournament prompting it to always be looking for new broadcasting deals in the US; PPV,Galavision, Fox SPorts

6. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    One thing I would like to see more of is weekly soccer show translated by a Spanish women and men Futbol Mundial, not the Western MoneyGram show but the other one where the catch up with retired Brolin one week and Dahlin the next week.

7. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    Bottom line:

IRL has the income from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but CART does NOT.

Cash is king.

IRL has cash, CART does NOT.

8. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    Futbol Mundial (the one produced by IMG/TWI) is a quality show. You can tell right away that IMG puts serious money into the production.

The Western Union World Football show (the one produced by Octagon CSI) isn't bad either.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    That is because Tony Satan George takes any profit makes from the Brickyawn 400 or the USGP and pours it into the $$ losing IRL....

Just wait till the fallout of flying IRL cars happens.... all it will take is 1 flying IRL car into a catchfence and taking out a few fans and the whole thing will be over..... for everyone.... :(

The new CARt regime are smart people who love american open wheel racing, and that ain;t the IRl....

Is there any truth to the rumor that CART races will be broadcast on MTV next season?

10. branko97

branko97 Member

May 30, 2001
    New York City

CART will be very lucky to be around next year. They are hemorraging $millions and have been for years, and their ratings are dismal and getting worse. Maybe IRL is losing money too, but once CART is gone for good--and it looks like that may be soon--Tony George will have the only open-wheel game in town.

Like most race fans I rooted for CART when the split happened. But you just can't have a viable Indy Car circuit if you don't race at Indy--and realizing that doesn't make Tony George Satan. It makes him a good businessman. Isn't that what America's all about?

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Wow another CART fan from NYC. That makes a total of 3 that I know of, including myself. CARt tv ratings when compared to the IRL on national tv outside of the I$L 500 are beter. The tv ratings are SPEED are god awful. That's why the cable races might be moving to MTV per the rumor. I am sure you have heard of motor rock, the new company that combines high profile music acts and auto racing. They are partners in the Open Wheel racing venture which is buying CART and taking it private. They are also the driving force I beleive in getting CART on MTV. Now letts look at attendance. CART attendance almost everywhere is UP! Especially at the street races. Canda, Mexico, and Australia draw record crwods every year. It's hard not to agree that CART drawing 350, 000 people at Mexico City is amazing. Next year CART will ad a new race in Seoul, South Korea. This one is going to be HUGE as well. Yes CART has been through a rough time, but CART will prevail and Tony Satan George can go EFF himself for ruining american open wheel racing! I am not a Lemming and I will not follow Anton into the catch fence where his cars have been flying into lately.

So would you be interested in getting together for a CART racing watch party next year? I know another person who would join us :)
    lol

12. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    The agreement between FOX Sports Int'l and TyC has obviously been reworked.

The original agreement called for FOX Cable to distribute TyC Sports USA.

TyC Sports USA was finally launched in 2003, but FOX Cable was NOT involved.

TyC did the distribution deal with Globecast on its own.

Only a handful of people subscribe to TyC Sports USA, which requires Globecast satellite TV equipment.

==

NewsCorp has cut its investment in Southern Latin America.

Sky Argentina folded.

FOX Sports Brasil was absorbed in a 3-way deal with ESPN Int'l and Globo to form ESPN FOX Sports in Brazil. Globo and ESPN Int'l handle most of the advertising sales for that operation.

FOX Sports Int'l did NOT renew worldwide TV rights to Futbol Chileno when that agreement expired in 2002.

13. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony George brought F1 back to America. ;)

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Granted Tony Satan George spent a lot of inherited money to transform the inner speedway into a F1 circuit including a new pagoda and pit garages and suites..... However Bernie Ecclestone was going to come back to the U.S. sometime soon as half the grid has an American sponsor. It was just a matter of time. But Satan wanted the glory for himself. It's a shame that the F1 circus would never hit the track at Road America, the US's greatest road circuit. oh well....

15. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Again, Fox Sports is dong right this year but today the thing I said about improving the Picture Quality became painfully obvious. Today during the UEFA CUp Games when both Fox Sports and GolTV were showing their games GOLTV's PQ was miles better than Fox Sports even though Fox was using the same Euro broadcasters feed GOLTV uses for their spanish cup games. WHen GOLTV uses this feed it looks sharp yet today on Fox Sports (at least in Spanish) looked soft in color and dull in sharpness.

16. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three things needed in FSE

-Show MLS wrap (with subtitles, dubbed, whatever, just show it!)
    -Get an extra game from Brazilian league and also one from the Argentinian league (where it seems that if it is not either Boca or River, the game does not exist)
    -Show EPL highlights show more often and at different times (i think they show it once a wek at around 9 ET -cannot recall the day- and some other days they show it very late at night....impossible to catch the show and watch it sometimes

17. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The last few weeks it was a fake out on the Dish Network program guide. It said COpa Sudamericana SHow, but it was actually the EPL highlights show.

18. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I know John Laguna and Samuel Jacobo look like hell and I know making a set to show their faces would cost money, but I think it can recovered if the channel can get a few more showings of the fang-faced John Leguizamo Radio Shack commercial. When I see the Radio Shack commercial all I can think about is The Howling not pocket calculators and coaxial cables :)

19. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Mexico Pre-Libertadores

Fox Sports en Espanol will be broadcasting the entire Mexican Pre-Libertadores tournament.

So stop complaining, everybody!!!

20. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I would call it more of constructive criticism. :) Like any sucessful business entity from that pile of feedback is where they get their ideas on what their next move will be.

21. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the "constructive criticism" view of EL Mofles....I am a bit annoyed though ....For the last 2 days (WED and today) they showed complete matches from Copa America 1995...I do not mind that both games featured Mexico, but it bothers me that they won't keep going any further (showing these old games) tomorrow at all, because they will be showing Venezuelan baseball....I was hoping to watch US Mexico, or US Argentina, but i guess it was not meant to be.....

22. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Does anyone else have a preferencewith respect to the voice talent that do the EPL games. I have to say the Laguna/Bozzo team kind of captures the EPL feeling better I think than the Jacobo/Pizzaro but visa versa with the Copa Sudamericana and Libertadores although I don't think LAguna has ever done a Copa Sudamericana game.

Villa/ Portsmouth was great :)

23. El_Maestro

El_Maestro Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    The Laguna/Bozzo team is certainly great with the Premiership games. Heck, I have both Fox Sports World and Espanol, I speak both English and Spanish but I prefer Laguna/Bozzo than the Brits (God I hate Brit announcers).

With the Libertadores/Sudamericana, sorry Samuel Jacobo and Pizarro, yes, I know those Argies can be somewhat biased, but they are much better announcers, even though Mariano Closs is a prick. I like Niembro though. I just cannot stand Samuel Jacobo.

Fortunately they don't mess with the original Argie narration with the Argentine league, Araujo and Macaya Marquez are probably the best announcing team in Southamerica today.

Too bad my English speaking pals have to endure the Max Bretos/Bozzo team in the FSW Argie league games. Bretos is not bad, he knows how to pronounce the Spanish names, but Bozzo speaking English is terrible, I can't understand one word he says.

24. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Will FSE be broadcasting the 2004 CART Champcar World Series ?

25. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Seeing as CART and IRL will probably become one series, I imagine ESPN Deportes will have those rights, and in fact, they are already committed to broadcasting some IRL on ESPN Deportes this season.

If CART stays independent though, there will not be any coverage on FSE as CART will be switching to CBS-owned cable networks (Spike TV and possibly other channels depending on what ancillary activities they put out during race weekends).

I wouldn't be surprised if Formula 1 airs on FSE though. Maybe even some form of NASCAR coverage (either highlights or delayed race coverage) since Nextel Cup races are now broadcast in about 20 languages all over the world.