The Did you know thread. Uselss, but fascinating trivia, facts and stories

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Excape Goat, Oct 17, 2007.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #676 PuckVanHeel, Nov 2, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    Something foreign people will not read in press like The Athletic, filtered by foreign journalists - when it comes to football it are often foreign journalists coming with takes from the colony;

The money purse and finances at Ajax is controlled by a woman. She has her own mandate to the shareholders (i.e. the members of the club).

It's not merely "football people" like Overmars running the club, or even the academy. 'The story' is not so simplified.

https://www.vi.nl/pro/blik-achter-de-schermen-directeur-susan-lenderink-over-miljoenenhandel-ajax

"They are therefore not the findings of Nicole Edelenbos, who made her entrance as director of Feyenoord in the late 1990s. She called professional football 'a masculine boarded-up world'. Lenderink: 'I cannot deny that there are many men working in professional football, but I do not experience it as a boarded-up macho world. A relatively large number of women worked at the Bijenkorf. This is, of course, because women generally have a greater affinity for shopping. In football it is the other way around. That is usually closer to the interest of men. It is true that women's football has been growing in recent years, but compared to men it is still relatively small. I think this is more an explanation for the fact that few women are active, than that it is the unwillingness of clubs or associations. I have the feeling that I am taken seriously and do not experience professional football as a men's network that you cannot intervene in.'

Yet she is about the only woman among the ties in the European boardrooms. If she continues Europe with Ajax, the picture is not much different. ‘I would find more diversity healthy. It has been proven that a diverse team performs better. But that's not just about the male-female ratio.”

For years, the House of Representatives has been working towards a women's quota at the top of the business community. "I'm not really in favor of this. Even now I sometimes get comments like: “You're definitely there because you're a woman”. I'm quite annoyed by that. Then I think: Come on, which gravel tile have you been under? Such a quota only exacerbates that prejudice. They really are there, you know, the skilled women. You just have to search better. I do not believe in laying down such a thing in regulations, although it is a sad observation that it is apparently necessary to force a better reflection of society at the top of the business community.'

It runs into the category of 'trivia' because it doesn't happen in the other major continental clubs.

2. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    MISCELLANEOUS

- Scorers in World Cup
    Ernest Wilimowski
    has the best scoring average in World Cup history. The Polish player has an average of 4 goals per game, although it should be noted that he only played one game :D and that despite scoring 4 goals his team lost and was eliminated. The match was a Brazil 6-5 Poland in the round of 16 of the 1938 World Cup (in that match the great Leónidas da Silva scored a Hat Trick).

Among the players who played at least 5 games in the World Cup, the best scoring averages are Sandor Kocsis (2.20) and Just Fontaine (2.17).

- Penalty Shot
    Albanian player Ledio Pano has the best scoring average on penalty shot, he scored 100% of those he tried, an incredible 50 out of 50. Another player who comes very close to Pano's records is Matthew Le Tissier with a fantastic 49 of 50 (98%).

- Managers
    Sven Goran Eriksson
    is the only coach to have achieved three domestic doubles in three different countries. The Swede won the league and the Swedish cup in 1982 with IFK Göteborg, did the same in 1983 with Benfica in Portugal and repeated in 2000 in Italy with Lazio. In addition, this implies a back to back in the years 82 and 83 in different countries that I believe that only he has achieved.

Moreover, in 1982 and 1983 he was about to make two consecutive triplets in different countries since in 1982 with IFK Göteborg he won the Uefa Cup defeating Hamburg (4-0 on aggregate) and a year later he played the final also in the Uefa Cup with Benfica losing to Anderlecht by an aggregate result of 2-1. Had he won that second Uefa Cup in a row it would have been a spectacular feat.

Gregoriak repped this.
  3. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    With his recent victory in the Concacaf Champions League, Mexican Javier Aguirre has joined the select group of coaches who have proclaimed continental champions at the national team level and at the club level within the same continent. According to the information I have, this has been achieved by 18 coaches throughout history, the list is as follows:

EUROPE (3)

- José Villalonga (first coach to achieve it worldwide)
    * European Cup. Real Madrid 1956 and 1957
    * Eurocup. Spain 1964

- Rinus Michels
    * European Cup. Ajax Amsterdam 1971
    * Eurocup. Netherlands 1988

- Vicente del Bosque
    * European Cup. Real Madrid 2000 and 2002
    * Eurocup. Spain 2012

SOUTH AMERICA (5)

- Hugo Bagnulo
    * Copa Libertadores. Peñarol 1982
    * Copa America. Uruguay 1956

- Oscar Washington Tabárez
    * Copa Libertadores. Peñarol 1987
    * Copa America. Uruguay 2011

- Roberto Fleitas
    * Copa Libertadores. National 1988
    * Copa America. Uruguay 1987

- Francisco Maturana
    * Copa Libertadores. Atletico Nacional 1989
    * Copa America. Colombia 2001

- Tite
    * Copa Libertadores. Corinthians 2012
    * Copa America. Brazil 2019

CENTRAL AND NORTH AMERICA (9)

- Ignacio Trelles
    * Champions Concacaf. Deportivo Toluca 1968 and Atlante 1983
    * Copa Oro. Mexico 1965

- Ruben Amorin
    * Champions Concacaf. CSD Municipal 1974 and Communications FC 1978
    * Copa Oro. Guatemala 1967

- Javier de la Torre
    * Champions Concacaf. Guadalajara 1962
    * Copa Oro. Mexico 1971

- Antoine Tassy
    * Champions Concacaf. Racing Club Haitien 1963
    * Copa Oro. Haiti 1973

- Bora Milutinovic
    * Champions Concacaf. Pumas UNAM 1980 and 1982
    * Gold Cup. United States 1991 and Mexico 1996

- Miguel Mejía Barón
    * Champions Concacaf. Pumas UNAM 1989
    * Copa Oro. Mexico 1993

- Miguel Lapuente
    * Champions Concacaf. Puebla 1991 and Club America 2006
    * Copa Oro. Mexico 1998

- Bruce Arena
    * Champions Concacaf. DC United 1998
    * Copa Oro. United States 2002, 2005 and 2017

- Javier Aguirre
    * Champions Concacaf. Monterrey 2021
    * Copa Oro. Mexico 2009

AFRICA (1)

- Mahmoud El-Gohary
    * CAF Champions League. Al Alhy 1982 and Zamalek 1993
    * CAF Africa Cup. Egypt 1998

ASIA (0) AND OCEANIA (O)

The double Real Madrid/Spain, Peñarol/Uruguay and Pumas/Mexico has been achieved by more than one coach.

Gregoriak, locoxriver and msioux75 repped this.
  4. Guga Sukhi

Guga Sukhi New Member

Dynamo Tbilisi
    Georgia
    Mar 11, 2018
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Have you ever heard a player name Vava? What about Pele? They also scored in two different WC final matches IMVHO

Excape Goat and unclesox repped this.
  5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Quini was kidnapped on was kidnapped a group who would call themselves the Batallon Catalano-Espanyol on March 1st, 1981 after Barcelona beat Hercules 6-0. He was held for 25 days. During this time, Barcelona could only grain one draw in four games, eventually losing the title race. He was later rescued unharmed.
    Despite missing a month of the season, he’d still end up as the club's top scorer. It was subsequently speculated that Quini developed Stockholm syndrome, since he decided not to press charges against his kidnappers and never claimed his personal damages award of 5 million pesetas.

His brother Jesús Castro was a goalkeeper. In1993, aged 42, Castro rescued two English boys and their father from drowning in the beach of Pechón, in Cantabria. He managed to do so but, exhausted, died shortly afterward.

Gregoriak repped this.
  6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mexico's WC 1978 jersey was sponsored by Levis's. It must be the most interesting kit supplier at the WC finals of all-time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    #682 wm442433, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    Dunno when seing the players' names on their kit occured for the first time in the world but it is often forgotten in France that it occured for the first time over there at the occasion of the 1970 French Cup Final with the players' names appearing a bit below their chest (on the left) and onto their shorts (not on the back of their jerseys though, after verification in other pictures) :

[​IMG]

The opponent of Saint-Etienne (pictured just before the final), Nantes, had their names appearing only onto their shorts.

Not sure it already happened before in France.
    In international tournament's history, that was at the Euro '92 of course (on the back of the shirts). Never before?

Buyo, PDG1978 and Gregoriak repped this.
  8. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    For a very short time during the 1980-81 season I remember reading that not only did AC Milan place players names on the back of shirts but they also experimented having the players wearing the same shirt number. So the starting XI wasn't always the standard 1 through 11 shirt numbers. But I believe the Italian federation put a stop to it. No idea how many weeks/games it lasted.

wm442433, Buyo, Gregoriak and 1 other person repped this.
  9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    wm442433, Buyo and Gregoriak repped this.
  10. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    #685 Buyo, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    In the 70s in the NASL there were already players who had their names on their shirts like in this photo of Pele, what I already do not know is in what specific year they began to put the names (the competition began in 1968 but I do not know if any team already in that year he put the names of the players on their shirts).

pele.jpg

On the other hand, in the final of the Intercontinental Cup in 1977 (but played in 1978) the Boca Juniors players carried the name on their shirts. Here is a video and photo of the final against Borussia Mönchengladbach.

Boca.jpg

Also in the final of the 1978 Copa Interamericana Boca Juniors used this shirt against America.

Gregoriak, sbahnhof, Excape Goat and 3 others repped this.
  11. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    PDG1978 repped this.
  12. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    I've been looking for more information about the origin of the players' names on their jerseys but haven't been able to find anything. But I did find information regarding when the numbers appeared on the football shirts.

I believed that the first game where there were numbers on the jerseys was Arsenal - Sheffield Wednesday in 1928 (that same day a Chelsea - Swansea was also played where the jerseys were also numbered).

But on the internet I have found a couple of links that put the beginning of the numbering of the shirts much earlier (I literally translate the text from twitter, in color blue):

https://twitter.com/i/events/1085143669257179137

- The most widely disseminated antecedents for the numbering of soccer jerseys on the internet are those of Australia in 1911 and the final of the US Cup in 1924. I speculate that, because they are cases registered in countries with little soccer tradition, they did not arrive to transcend.

11-24.png

- The first antecedent of numbered players in Argentina was on Sunday June 10, 1923 in the opening match of the tour of the Scottish team Third Lanark, which lost 1 to 0 with Combinado Norte in the brand new River Plate field in Alvear and Tagle.

23arg.jpeg

- A week later —on Sunday, June 17, 1923— the Scots defeated the Comibinado Sur 3-1, but the numbers were only used by the locals. In the rest of the matches on that tour, numbers were no longer used on the team shirts.

23argbis.jpeg

On the other hand in 1923, we have:

http://www.goalkeepersaredifferent.com/keepers/getting-shirty.html

“The earliest record of numbered shirts being worn dates from the 1922/23 American Soccer League season when a team from St. Louis by the name of Scullin Steel wore numbers on the back of their tops for the 1923 Challenge Cup Final.”

And a very curious fact that appears in the previous twitter link:

When Chelsea toured South America in the European summer of 1929, they brought their number shirts. The press soon dubbed them “the numbered ones”. The most peculiar detail was that the Chelsea outfield players wore the number on their backs, but the goalkeeper wore it on their chest (because, in general, a goalkeeper always has his back to the referee).

chelsea.png

Gregoriak, sbahnhof, Excape Goat and 3 others repped this.
  13. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Until the early 1990s, Celtic only wore numbers on their shorts. I have not done enough research of Celtic;s history. I only looked at youtube videos. They seemed to put numbers on their shirt starting in 1994.

But according to their website, they did wear number on their back jn 1975. The occasion was the European Cup-Winners’ Cup second-round, second-leg when new UEFA regulations insisted that numbers be worn on the back of players’ shirts.

no number in 1993

numbers in 1994

Gregoriak, Buyo and PDG1978 repped this.
  14. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    In this blog they explain the history of the numbering of the Cetic Glasgow shirts (in Spanish, I translate in blue):

http://elfutbloglin.blogspot.com/2011/10/la-camiseta-sin-numero-del-celtic-de.html

The Celtic Park club, the most successful club in Scotland, resisted for years this imposition (to include a number on their shirt) that 'stained' the mythical green and white shirt of the most Catholic club in the world. Until 1960 they did not wear numbers on the jersey and only introduced them on the pants (front and back) to maintain the tradition of the 'clean' jersey. This sign of respect for the origins was promoted by the legendary Robert Kelly (President of the club from 1947 to 1971) famous for his innovative decisions that led the Glasgow club to live its best years.

In Europe, Celtic were able to maintain that tradition until 1975, when UEFA made it mandatory to wear the number on the shirt. However, in Scotland the Scottish FA respected Celtic tradition until 1994 when numbers were first put on shirts.

The fact that the Scots in the 1960s wore the numbering on their pants and not on their shirts may explain what happened in the tribute match to Alfredo di Stéfano played in 1967 between Real Madrid and Celtic Glasgow. The two teams showed up to play wearing white shorts and it was Real Madrid (which was playing at home) who changed them for blue ones in order to differentiate them. The Scots did not bring a second kit and if Real Madrid had given the blue pants to the Glasgow team they would have been left without numbers since the blue pants did not have numbers and the Celtic shirts did not have numbers.

fano1967.jpeg

This is one of the few games in history that Real Madrid has played at home and their uniform has not been completely white. Others have been:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/t...acts-and-stories.611525/page-25#post-39403203

To this must be added the Real Madrid 5-3 Santos disputed in 1959 (where Real Madrid played completely in blue), the only time in history that Pele and Di Stéfano met on a pitch.

fano1959.jpeg

Gregoriak, Excape Goat and msioux75 repped this.
  15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Gregoriak, Excape Goat, Buyo and 2 others repped this.
  16. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Referee Valentin Ivanov was known for the "Battle of Nuremberg) in the 2006 World Cup Finals. He was actually an ex-player who had played for Torpedo Moscow. His father was Valetin Ivanov who was the hero of the Soviet victory at Euro 1960. He is the third all-time leading scorer for the USSR. His mother won a Gold medal in the 1956 Olympics where his father also won a Gold for the football team.

Gregoriak, wm442433, Buyo and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I found it weird at the time. Ronaldo exchanged his jersey with Pierluigi Casiraghi. While it is a norm for jersey exchanges, wearing the jersey of the other team at the trophy presentation or celebration looked weird to me. Ronaldo was wearing it throughout the celebration. I was looking at him on live TV. In 1994, Ronaldo was just known as the 17 years old on the World Cup team. It was before Youtube. So not many people outside of Brazil heard of him. It was my first real images of him. I did not notice the other Brazilian players with Italian jerseys until now.

[​IMG]

Bebeto took Baresi's jersey, I think.

[​IMG]

Who was the blond guy on the left. Taffarel? The Black player must have been Muller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gregoriak and Buyo repped this.
  18. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I also noticed that Neil Tovey was wearing Tunisia's jersey at the 1996 African Nations' Cup trophy presentation as Mandela looked onward. In 1990's, that image was iconic for the era because of politics.

[​IMG]

Almost the entire South African team wore Tunisia's jerseys.
    [​IMG]

19. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    In 1973 one would have thought Juventus had defeated Ajax in the European Cup final.

7.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Gregoriak, Buyo and Excape Goat repped this.
  20. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Juventus should never have that choker label.

21. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    https://zen.yandex.ru/rfpl

I found this Russian bloggers. He copied and paste several of my teams from my blogs. They were just "google translate" of them, Most of them were my former Soviet Union teams. Recently, I started to review them. I realised that some of the all-time teams were poorly researched. He copied them without changing a thing. If he considered himself a Russian football expert, he should figure out that I screwed things up.

I discovered his blog today while using google translate of Russian sources. Suddenly, I was looking at my own entires in Russian.

I wrote a few blog posts in 2014 that were not all-time teams. They were copy and paste of things I wrote here in bigsoccer, and I expanded them into blog entries. He also copied them.

This is my updated version of Russian All-Time team. I updated it a few days ago. I expanded it to more information.
    https://soccerfootballwhatever.blogspot.com/2014/12/russia.html

I discovered that Mikhail Ogonkov was a leftback. I also did not understand why i selected Valery Karpin in 2014. I left off Grigory Fedotov.

His version still had my mistakes. Seriously, he should have been laughing at my 2014 blog team if he is really a Russian bloggers.
    https://zen.yandex.ru/media/rfpl/sb...igroka-vseh-vremen-5fc4566cb545e63488da951c?&

22. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    In 1974, in the only European Cup final resolved in a tie-break match, some Bayern Munich players celebrated the Germans' first title in the competition wearing the jersey of that edition's runner-up, Atlético Madrid.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Gregoriak and Excape Goat repped this.
  23. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Atletico Madrid must the sorriest team in the EC/CL history. We all know about their history and record in the Final, but when you put everything into retrospect. They have a much worst time in the EC/CL Finals than Juventus or Benfica(I am talking about the curse). In 1974, Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck scored on the 120th minute to force a rematch, in which they lost 4-0. It was the only rematch of the Final in the history of the tournament.

Then, 40 years later, history repeated. Sergio Ramos scored on the 90th minute to force an extra-time. We all know that they lost 4-1 to Real Madrid. Of all teams in Europe, they lost to Real Madrid a team that would inflict the most pain in the worst possible manner. Bayern Munich of 1999 and AC Milan of 2005 did not lose to their biggest rival. Both sides won plenty of EC/CL trophies in their history. The Atletico Madrid fans had to endure weeks or an entire summer of celebrations by their neighbours in their own city. Two years later, they lost in penalties against their greatest rival Real Madrid. Penalty shootouts were supposed to be the worst way to lose a Final, but for Atletico Madrid, it should be their "best" result.

By comparison, Juventus lost 7 finals, but they stuill had two trophies in their museum. Benfica was known for the Guttmann curse, but they also had two trophies. I did not go into every final that they lost since the curse. I did not recall any dramatic last minute goal.

24. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    It is true that the Champions League/European Cup has historically been very cruel to Atlético Madrid as far as finals are concerned because, as you have said, the "least painful" final was the one they lost on penalties since the previous two they had won them and lost both in a completely incredible way and being thrashed at the end of the game.

At least Atlético Madrid outside of the top European competition has had very good results in finals played with a very high percentage of finals won, 80%, winning 1 Intercontinental Cup, 3 Europa League 1 Cup Winners' Cup and 3 European Super Cups (the two defeats came in two European Cup Winners' Cup finals).

Interestingly, Juventus have also won 8 out of 10 finals outside of the European Cup/Champions League: 2 Intercontinental Cups, 3 Europa League, 1 Cup Winners' Cup and 2 European Super Cups.

However, the case of Benfica is absolutely unique, after winning their second European Cup in an unforgettable final against Di Stéfano's Real Madrid by 5-3, they lost 9 consecutive finals: 1 Intercontinental Cup, 5 European Cup and 3 of Europa League.

And although I don't think it can be compared to the case of Atlético Madrid, they have also had very painful defeats in the finals they have played:

- 1963: Benfica 1-2 Milan, here they went on to win 1-0 but were traced back.
    - 1965: Benfica 0-1 Inter, This was a very tough defeat for the Portuguese. Firstly because Inter had the fortune to play the final in their own stadium, secondly because Inter's winning goal came from a mistake by Benfica's goalkeeper and thirdly because they played 33 minutes with a defender as goalkeeper. Germano had to replace Costa Pereira in goal, who had to leave the field injured and Benfica had to finish the game with only 10 players. Despite this situation, the Portuguese had good chances to equalize but finally lost the final 1-0 thanks to Sarti's good performance.

- 1968: Benfica 1-4 Manchester United. The result can be misleading as 3 of the 4 English goals come in extra time. The match was again played in the country of the rival of the Portuguese.
    - 1988: Benfica 0 (5) – 0 (6) PSV. Defeat on penalties

At least in these 4 finals, Benfica was able to finish as champion of the European Cup but in the end, as almost always, they ended up crying the defeat.

And we can't forget the stoppage-time loss in the 2013 Europa League against Chelsea or the 2014 defeat on penalties against Sevilla in the same competition.

The curse of "Bela Guttman" is something truly spectacular.

As a curious fact, comment that in the 1960s Benfica won 8 leagues, 3 Portuguese Cups and 2 European Cups, and in all the seasons of the decade they won at least one title, well, in all of them except in 1965-66, that was precisely the season of Bela Guttman's return to Benfica in search of new successes, but that became the club's worst season in the most brilliant decade of its history.

Gregoriak, unclesox and Excape Goat repped this.
  25. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Only five teams have won the UEFA triple crown: EC/CL, Cup Winners' Cup and UEFA/Europa League. They are Juventus, Bayern Munich, Ajax, Manchester United and Chelsea. Some teams can get into the list if they win the Europa or Champions' League.

If Barcelona or Borussia Dortmund wins the Europa League this season, they can join the list. They might be the only teams that can get into list this season. AC Milan and Hamburger also need an Europa, but they are not in it this season.

Tottenham, Atletico Madrid and Valencia need to win the CL. Atletico Madrid is still in the CL.

I need to double-check if I am correct.