The Did you know thread. Uselss, but fascinating trivia, facts and stories

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Excape Goat, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Only 6 national teams at WC 2014 consisted players entirely born within their borders. They are Brazil, Colombia, Honduras, Russia, South Korea and Ecuador.

Algeria had 15 French-born players.

JamesBH11 repped this.
  2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    not even Germany Italy and England?

so France team are full of Algerians in return? LOL

3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Klose and Podolski were born in Poland. England's Raheem Sterling was born in Jamaica. Italy has Thiago Motta and Paletta.

France only gets two foreign-born players. I did not bother to look them up.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, Germany and France supplied a lot of players to other countries.

[​IMG]

JamesBH11 repped this.
  4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I know and was just sarcastic.
    Look at your last graph *supply players to other teams , one can tell France and Germany will have a BIG FUTURE in next Euro16 and WC18? I think so ...

5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Germany would have more if Turkey qualified for Brazil 2014, I think.

msioux75 repped this.
  6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Newell's Old Boys is often referred to as leprosos (lepers) because the team was invited to a charity match (against arch-rival Rosario Central to raise funds for a leprosy sufferers of Hospital Carrasco, in the 1920s. The club immediately accepted to take part of the event, but Rosario Central did not so, therefore the match was cancelled.

Ronald Koeman's nickname was "the little snowflake" because of his blond hair; and of a famus albino gorilla at the Barcelona zoo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_(gorilla)

msioux75 repped this.
  7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Some suitable names in football.

Wolfgang Wolf who coached at Wolfsburg.

Fernando de Napoli played for Napoli during Maradona's era.

Arsene Wenger, Arsenal

Flavio Roma, the keeper for Lazio.

Mauro Milanese who played for Inter milan during the season (1998-1999)

8. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This was a well-known incident at WC 1982. Some of the Kuwaiti players stopped play after hearing a whistle from the stands, which they thought had come from Soviet referee Miroslav Stupar. The goal was initially awarded by the referee,. Sheikh Fahad Al-Ahmad, the brother of the Kuwaiti Emir and the president of the Kuwaiti Football Association, rushed onto the pitch to remonstrate with the referee. Stupar changed his mind and disallowed the goal.

His name would make the news again 8 years later. During the invasion of Kuwait in 1990, the entire Royal family fled Kuwait,but Sheikh Fahad Al-Ahmad stayed behind to defend Dasman Palace, the royal residence. He died fighting the Iraqi invaders. His body was placed in front of a tank and run over.

9. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    SE Eibar played their first ever match in the Spanish top flight and defeated Basque rivals Real Sociedad 1-0 in front of a capacity 5,000+ (!) at their home ground. All 22 players that started for both sides were Spanish/Basque.
    They are the 11th side to win their top flight debut without conceding a goal. Of the previous 10 clubs, only 1 ended the season being relegated:

FC Barcelona 1929, (A) 2-0 Real Racing Club (finished season in 1st place)
    Real Madrid 1929, (H) 5-0 CD Europa (2nd)
    Sevilla FC 1934-35, (H) 4-0 Atlético Madrid (5th)
    Córdoba CF 1962-63, (H) 1-0 Real Valladolid (12th)
    UD Salamanca 1974-75, (H) 2-0 Elche CF (7th)
    Recreativo Huelva 1978-79, (H) 3-0 Real Zaragoza (18th/last, relegated)
    Real Burgos 1990-91, (H) 1-0 Cádiz CF (11th)
    CD Numancia 1999-00, (H) 1-0 Real Valladolid (17th)
    Málaga CF 1999-00, (H) 1-0 Espanyol (12th)
    UD Almería 2007-08, (A) 3-0 Deportivo (8th)
    SE Eibar 2014-15, (H) 1-0 Real Sociedad (?)

10. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I heard of the epic European Cup semi-final of 1957 between Real Madrid and the Busby babes. It was billed as the young Manchester United vs the European Master. Unfortunately, less than a year later, the Munich disaster killed 8 members of the Busby Babes. Just now, I was looking for information of the 1957 semifinal and came upon this:

How Real Madrid helped to rebuild Manchester United after Munich air disaster
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...united-after-munich-air-disaster-8492422.html

Bernabeu did a lot of things for Manchester United. He even tried to send Di Stefano on a loan so that Mnachester United could be strong again. I never heard of it.

Buyo repped this.
  11. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Bayern Munich's current squad (2014-15 season) includes 9 World Cup winners:
    Manuel Neuer
    Jérôme Boateng
    Philipp Lahm
    Bastian Schweinsteiger
    Mario Götze
    Thomas Müller
    Xabi Alonso
    Javi Martínez
    Pepe Reina

The most I can remember hearing about was 10 on AC Milan's 2006-07 squad:
    Dida
    Cafu
    Kaká
    Ronaldo
    Gennaro Gattuso
    Alberto Gilardino
    Alessandro Nesta
    Andrea Pirlo
    Filippo Inzaghi
    Massimo Oddo

Gregoriak repped this.
  12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    In other words, Germany WC2014 were bayern ... best 23men
    9+ Klose Poldoski and Ozil as EX- Bayern players ... to make it 12 if you want ...

13. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't want.
    I'll stick with my original post.

14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oezil never played for Bayern.
    Schalke-->Werder Bremen--> Real Madrid-->Arsenal.

15. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Man City signed Fernandinho(Liz Roza) from Shakhtar Donetsk in 2013. Shakhtar Donetsk replaced him with another Brazilian defensive midfielder named Fernando (Lucus Martins). In the summer of 2014, Man City signed Fernando (Francis Reges) from Porto. He is also a defensive midfielder.

Fernando (Lucus Martins) played at the Confederation Cup in 2013. Fernandinho(Liz Roza) plaed for Brazil at the WC 2014.

Fernadinho(which means Little Fernando) is the oldest among the three defensive midfielders.

16. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This was 9 years ago. Some of you probably has forgotten about it.
    Tottenham was playing for the last Champions League spot at the end of the 2005-2006 season against West Ham. A win would give them the last spot for the CL the following season. tThey checked into a hotel the night before the game. They ate lasagna at the hotel and 10 players went down with food poisoning. the next day, Wst Ham beat them 2-1 . Meanwhile, Arsenal won and took the last CL spot from them.

17. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I posted this in 2013. This strange pattern continues in 2014.

I would like to add Lampard and Lambert(there are no other "Lam" on any of the WC squad), and Foster and Forster(both keepers). Steve Foster was on the 1982 team. We also have Smalling and Sterling, but Downing was on the 2010 team. Sherringham's name also sounded very close. Scott Parker also did not make the team. No other "Ker" played in any of the WC, except Parker, Walker and Lineker of 1990.

18. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I don't know if this is a record or has happened before:

On 29 October 1983 in the English First Division there were two players who both managed to score 5 goals in one game.

Ian Rush scored 5 in a 6-0 rout of Luton Town at Anfield Road and on the same day Tony Woodcock also scored 5 in a 6-2 away win of Arsenal at Aston Villa (who had won the European Cup only the previous year).

19. Gosling

Gosling Member

Dec 22, 2014
    Watertown, WI
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In final-round qualifying for the 1962 World Cup, Tunisia was eliminated by losing a coin flip to Morocco.
    In final-round qualifying for the 1970 World Cup, Tunisia was eliminated by losing a coin flip to Morocco.
    In not-final-round qualifying for the 1978 World Cup, Tunisia was again tied with Morocco, but by now the penalty shootout was in place. Tunisia won the shootout 4-2.

Excape Goat and msioux75 repped this.
  20. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Coin flips are so dumb, they should at least include shots on goal and possession as tiebreakers.

21. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There have been 20 WC Finals. Italy won 4 of them. So 4 Italian captains had lifted the trophy as the captain. Five other players of Italian descent also lifted it as the captain, namely, Nasazzi(1930), Bellini(1958), Passarella(1978), Maradona(1986) and Dunga(1994). Nine Italians had lifted the trophy. Cafu(2002) also gained Italian citizenship.

22. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31188264

BBC randomly interviewed people in the street about the 1967 derby against Everton. The reporter did not know that he was speaking to Tommy Lawrence, the starting Liverpool keeper for that match.

23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not that bad.....