The Did you know thread. Uselss, but Fascinating historical facts and stories)

Discussion in 'History' started by Excape Goat, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Hence my use of the term "one of the..."

(In fact the lack of total world reaction to the Armenian genocides was one of the factors that led Hitler to believe he could have gotten away with it. If it weren't for those meddling kids. Well, that and several hundred thousand US and Soviet soldiers overruninng the camps)

2. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
  3. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Magellan wasn't the first to circumnavigate the globe. He didn't do it at all.

4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Actually he did because in a previous voyage he had visited the Maluku Islands going east. By going west to the Philippines, where he died, he had been all around the world.

5. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Seeing the piece on John and Abagail Adams on PBS last night reminded me of this entirely useless but impossible fact:

John Adams and Thomas Jefferson - contemporaries, collaborators, friends, political enemies - both died July 4, 1826, exactly 50 years after the signing of the Declaration of Independence (which, obviously, would never had been signed had it not been for those two men).

6. chessplayer

chessplayer Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I thought everyone knew that Jesus Christ was Jewish. The name "Christian" wasn't even used in the Bible until in Acts, years after Jesus' death and resurrection. "Christ" wasn't Jesus' last name (He did not have a last name as recorded in the Bible), but was rather a title, the Greek word for "Messiah," or savior. That's why Jesus' followers are called "Christians," followers of the Messiah, and why Jewish people who accept Christ are sometimes referred to as "Messianic Jews."
    Jesus also wasn't white, or western European, or American, or even from the West, but a lot of folks seemingly don't know that..

7. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm trying to think and I don't think I've ever seen a representation of him as he probably was, fairly dark with slightly nappy black hair.

8. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003
    Most cultures tend to portray him as looking like what they are familiar with. This seems fair to me- I did hear the story the Christians in India represent him as having blue skin - similar representation to Krishna- but I have never been able to confirm that.

9. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  10. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I believed Richard the Lionheart could not speak a word of English. In movies, he was often played the most English of English actors.

And Robin Hood is supposingly copied from a French book called "Fouke le Fitz Waryn". Many charactors and episodes from the French book are similiar with Robin Hood.

11. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    For the first 14 years of Islam, the early Muslims prayed towards Jerusalem. Only after the move to Medina and strife with Jewish tribes near there did Mohammed have the faithful turn around towards Mecca.

12. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Many backcountry farmers is the 18th and 19th century made whiskey because it was the easiest way to transport their corn crop to market.

Because the other relatively easy way to transport corn -- hogs -- was so difficult to drive en mass, many farmers sewed their eyes shut.

13. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The founder of the Tang dynasty, perhaps the greatest dynasty in the history of China and the Chinese still called themselves the tang people(Chinatown meants tang people street in Chinese), was actually Turkish/Huns warriors. His ancestors were Turkish tribal leaders who served in the Chinese army. Then, they received Chinese citizenship and the former Chinese emperor awarded them by giving them Chinese surname "Li". Scholars still debated on the issue since translation of the anicent Chinese sources varied. The "Li" family belonged to a class of nobility that meant Turkish tribe in modern Chinese, but some said the word Turks were different from modern day. It was only a noble class within the Chinese society. Others agrued that that noble class was all descendants of non-Chinese warriors who fought under the Chinese banner and gained noblity status.

The first German soldier killed in WW II was killed by Japanese in China.

The first American soldier killed in WW II was killed by the Russians in Finland.

Hitler's private train was named "Amerika."

14. Benin Dahomey

Benin Dahomey New Member

Sep 11, 2005
    Greenock, Scotland
    a blockade by the british navy? and the british navy lost?
    i was led to believe that the british navy was the only armed force in the world to have never lost a conflict. i think i heard that on one of their recruitment ads on the t.v. (if the above is true then i obviously picked that up wrong)

there are many theories about where the Robin Hood legend came from. one is that he was based on the Scottish hero William Wallace. for more on this check out a book called "The Emperor's New Kilt: Two Secret Histories of Scotland"

this book also claims that the kilt was invented by an englishman, that the Scottish city of Dundee had electric lighting 70 years before the light bulb was 'invented', and that Highland coos are not actually native to Scotland but are the result of continental breeding practices ("but who cares?, you still don't get hairy orange cows any where else in the world!")

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    He didn't say those words until 40 years after his death?

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zombie James Otis.

17. BadBad_LeRoyBrown

Jan 30, 2006
    Earth
    Did you know that Mexico once had 3 presidents in one day?

18. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Gateway of India, in Bombay, was completed in 1924.The initial plinth had the date in Roman numerals inscribed as MCMXXIIII, which was later corrected to MCMXIV.

The boy who pointed out the mistake, Keshav Ghorpade, later became one of the most notorious gangsters of Bombay, and was killed in a police encounter just off the embankment near the Gateway.

Talk of coincidences. :D

19. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Isn't that 1914?

It should be MCMXXIV.

20. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
  21. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pancho Villa's dying words were: "tell them I said something"

...not sure if thats an urban myth but it sounds cool.

also, George Washington's dying act was to take his own pulse as he died, trying to learn something new right to the end.

22. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By conflict, do you mean "battle"?

Just in the last 100 years, they've lost the Battle of Coronel, the Battle of the Denmark Strait, and Jutland was far from being a British victory on the seas...

:confused:

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention the HMS Hood. And I believe the Isaac Hull and John Paul Jones had some luck in ship-on-ship encounters.

24. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mentioned ;)

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D'OH! :eek:

I always picture the Hood going down out in the North Sea.