The Did you know thread. Uselss, but Fascinating historical facts and stories)

Discussion in 'History' started by Excape Goat, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vicenzo Capone, Al Capone's brother, was a federal agent in northeastern Nebraska in the 1920s. He went by the name Richard James Hart, and his main duty was to catch Prohibition violators. He was not an underworld mole. He was a legitimate law officer, who at a young age had chosen a different path in life from the one chosen by his brother Al.

Excape Goat, song219 and roby repped this.
  2. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Update

Cows have four stomachs !!

3. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Vinnie was my Papa's cousin so that would make Al also my cousin, once removed....literally! :cautious:

xtomx and Excape Goat repped this.
  4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    So you know where Al Capone's vault really is but you wouldn't tell Geraldo Rivera.

5. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Well...it's a little known fact that it's buried in the end zone of the old Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands with what's left of Jimmy Hoffa. WeThey shudda stuffed Rivera in there instead! :ninja:

song219 repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
  8. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Guess you guys know the thread title has a misspelling ?

9. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
  10. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    :eek: The jig is up after only 18 yrs!

11. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And i started it. :(

roby repped this.
  12. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Thought it was some sorta shellfish; cockles, mussels, uselss...

13. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    My apologies @Excape Goat for implying on the previous page as to your intelligence! :notworthy:

upload_2023-10-5_17-23-31.gif

Excape Goat repped this.
  14. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Did you know that cheese was invented in 5500 BC. Andrew Jackson, celebrated for his Big Block, had an ancestor who came upon a vat of milk that had been sitting out for a couple of days. When he bent over to sniff the milk he exclaimed, "Cheez"! :coffee:

15. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Did you know how Gorgonzola got it's name. Former Chelsea hero, Gianfranco Zola, had dated one of the Gorgon sisters and rescued them during the Peloponnesian War. To show gratitude they renamed their family cheese from Gorgon p-u to Gorgonzola. :coffee:

16. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It was widely believed that George Washington was offered to become the first monarch of the United Statfes. What if he accepted the crown?

Since George Washington did not have biological children of his own, the crown would have passed to the lines of his male siblings and their descendants when he died. He had two elder half-brothers and three younger full brothers. King George I outlived all of them so none of them would be king. I don't know if King George I would give the crown to the line of his half-siblings who were more senior in the Washington family. Actually, this is irrelevant to the main topic of this post.

As you might have known, Martha Washington had a son and Washington adopted him as his stepson. Would he pass the crown down this line? Of course, the scenario won't happen to an European dynasty because normal King had no stepson, but George Washington being the founder of the Royal House of Washington would be different from other monarchs anyway. So it might happen.

George Washington actually outlived his stepson John Parke Curtis, but John Parke Curtis named his son (Martha's grandson and George Washington's step grandson) after George Washington, and he grew up living with George Washington. Goerge Washington Parke Curtis as King George II would be reigned from 1799 to 1857. In 1857, his daughter would be crowned Queen Mary I at a time when the United States caught in a conflict between free and slave states. I doubt that the Civil War would take place because Lincoln probably won't be the leader of the United States under an American monarch. Interesting enough Queen Mary I as Princess Mary fell in love with an army officer and married him in 1831. His name was Robert E Lee. So in 1861, he would be the royal consort of the American monarch.

But I really don't know how the entire history of Abolitionism would play out under this scenario.

roby and taosjohn repped this.
  17. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    The zipper was invented in 1851 by the Lord of the Flys. :geek:

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I heard he swiped the idea from Hookham Frere and Button Gwinnett...

19. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Did you know?

yahoo.jpeg

Excape Goat and fatbastard repped this.
  20. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Did you know?

upload_2023-12-22_20-34-10.png

Dyvel and song219 repped this.
  21. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Scusa me....a single strand of spaghetti is called a spaghetto! :coffee:

22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I thought that was Pinocchio's father?

roby repped this.
  23. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    By Jiminy I think you're right! :unsure:

24. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ruth Handler who created the Barbie doll actually stole the idea from a doll named "Bild-Lilli" in Germany. She saw the doll during a trip in Swizterland, and brought many of them home. And then, she produced it in the USA and marketed it to girls around the world. "Bild-Lilli" was actually an adult toy. She came from a cartoon character in Germany. And she was a call girl.