The diagnosis

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by UWHusky, Aug 22, 2002.

1. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I can't read the doc's writing, but the MRI results say I have a "lateral femoral condyle bone marrow edema." I think this basically means I bruised the bone, which was caused by the patella slipping out of place. The doctor explained that there is a muscle down the thigh attached to the patella and then there is a tendon attached to the patella that goes down the lower leg toward the outside (if that makes any sense). So the muscle and the tendon make an angle, and the tendency is for the patella to move toward the outside to straigten this angle.

No surgery, but physical therapy twice a week for four weeks. My activities are not limited, but I need to wear a wrap-on type of brace for any kind of physical activity including just walking a fair distance.

2. gerr18

gerr18 New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    thats rough...but also good that no surgery is necessary. just make sure you do all the rehab that is asked...when i broke my leg, i kind of slacked on the rehab and went right back to the ball. and it took a lot longer for the pain to stop...but eventually it did. good luck and keep us posted.

3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    uw.

glad to hear that it is not going to require surgery.

as a person who has been through numerous knee & anke injuries i can tell you to just *do what the therapist* tells you to do and you will be back before you know it...and with any luck you will be blessed with a nice looking, blonde therapist that will make going every week not so bad :D

keep us updated, hopefully your dad is understanding with all this and is backing you 100% of the way now that your problem has been determined...

4. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Hey, thanks for all your support.

Just to clear up any possible confusion, I happen to be female...but I wouldn't mind a nice looking, blonde guy for a therapist. ;)

As for my dad, he hasn't had a chance to react yet. He left town last night for a family emergency.

5. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    whoops, my bad :D

6. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    no prob :)