The Devil & Diego

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Sam Hamwich, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    There is a concept taught by historians, presentism, in which you discourage the judgement of one epoch with your own current moral sentiment. With Diego and the western world he invaded it has to go beyond just moral sentiment, it has to encompass a historical, cultural and philosophical context of being latin and of being latin in the later century in latin america in particular.

I won't speak for everyone, but I will just say most latin's are born with at least 15 to 20% of Diego's concept of ball control, ball touch, ball movement. Latins are also born with 15 to 20% of the devil that lived in Diego. In Disney movies, you always see an angel and a devil on each shoulder, all latins know you have a small devil and large devil one on each shoulder.

The devil that made Maradona great is the same one that most westerners believe made him 'complicated' or a 'troubled' man. He was neither. He was just a man who needed that big devil on and off the pitch to be himself. To be honest to his own ethic and desires and personality.

You often hear about the mental and physical side of life or athletics or how the heart desires and the mind controls. As if they are not all connected. As if they don't all communicate constantly. You also hear about how Maradona was a bull, a physical force. Well, if he was anything he was a matador surrounded by 10 bulls. If he was anything he was an artist totally in harmony with mind and body.

Latin people love and adore Maradona for expressing all these values not as complexities, but as a way of life. The '86 world cup was a battle between so may incredible story lines that I don't need to list them, but above all it was a story of artistry and resolve and beauty versus solidarity and confidence and will power. So very few times in our life time does art and beauty prevail.

I adore Maradona for expressing a romantic lifestyle without shame and for introducing the world to a part of the latin world that is the pure joy of the moment, the pageantry that is individual expression elevated to an art form.

All the same, only corona, no coka-cola for me tonight.

bostonsoccermdl repped this.