The Detroit MLS Name-Logo-Colors-Kit Thread

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by RedRover, Aug 4, 2010.

1. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    OK, I did another update on the Detroit City shield I recently did. And, at the request of D-Cubed, I added an olive wreath underneath the shield.
    [​IMG]
    You like?

2. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Looks good. The wreath balances out the banner up top, and the border brings the multi color shield together. Well done sir

3. Conartist

Conartist Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    While I do think Detroit City FC sounds better than Inter Detroit, if the team were to play in the renovated Pontiac Silverdome, it would go against the whole purpose of including "City" in the title. For example, Manchester City fans use this against United fans because the sky blues actually play within the city of Manchester, whereas United play in the borough of Trafford. Just a thought.

4. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    While I agree with the technicality of naming the club City, they wouldn't be the only team with an inaccurate team name. Specifically, like the New York Giants, the New York Red Bulls play in New Jersey but they bear the name New York. Here's a couple of alternatives that may or may not have already been suggested, that I'm just putting out there:
    Detroit Energy
    Detroit Rebellion - after chief Pontiac's rebellion against fort Detroit
    Detroit Arsenal - after the Arsenal of Democracy
    Racing Detroit
    1701 Detroit
    Detroit AFC "the Motors"
    Detroit Rovers
    Detroit North End
    Detroit Alliance
    Detroit Automation
    For the record I still like City the most, followed by Arsenal and then maybe Rovers

5. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's something that I just discovered (a day late, as it turns out--story of my life...) that would be a really cool thing to incorporate into our still-hypothetical team:

[​IMG]

If only two of our most bitter potential rivals, Chicago and Toronto, weren't already wearing red. And Red Devils wasn't already associated with Manchester United.

Maybe as the name of a supporters' group.

6. footygal

footygal Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What about Detroit Villa?

7. footygal

footygal Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Detroit devils?

8. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Red Devils, or something. I was just more or less thinking "out loud."

9. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I really want a Detroit team to cheer for, what's with all the europosing? Maybe it's because I'm not actually from the city, but I just don't get it. If Detroit decides to tack on FC just because that's what the English do I may seriously consider supporting the Fire, and I hate the Fire. The only Euro name I would support is Motor City, and that's it (no fc at the end, not Detroit Motor City, or inter, or afc, or anything else), just plain Motor City for a name. Although my favorite might be the Express. I creates a pretty good imagery, and while I don't necessarily care that it has NASL history, some might. If anyone suggests locomotive, because that's similar to express and European clubs use it, I just might give up on Detroit entirely.

10. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't just have "Motor City" as the name...that's what people call the actual city of Detroit...the name would get lost in the shuffle. If you want to make it SC, that's fine, but I'm fine with FC. That's not europosing in my opinion...soccer clubs not only in Michigan but around the U.S. have had FC in their names for years.

11. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that's what people actually call the city, but it's just a nickname, and that's why I would support it for a team name. Though I do admit it might be a bit too confusing for some people, which is why I prefer Express. And yes adding FC, or SC, is europosing. That's pretty much been the basis for the europosing in the US. Part of the problem is that teams have already been doing this for a while, I really don't care that teams have already been doing that here. Adding FC is just an attempt to make the team sound more European. For instance Seattle Sounders FC. Why in the World do they need a FC there? It's not like there's some hockey or baseball team fighting for the Sounders name is there? And even if there was let them call themselves Seattle Sounders BC, or HC. The soccer team was there first. Not only is the FC europosing, it's unimaginative. In America we have team names, and I happen to really like that tradition. I'm sick of all these europoseurs trying to turn MLS into some mock EPL. This is our league, let's do it the American way.

12. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Europosing, as I see it, is wanting MLS to adopt a single table league with home and away matches against each side, no playoffs, promotion/relegation, and play from fall to spring. Really, I could give a rat's rump about what teams call themselves. There are good names and bad names on both sides.

13. F_Bomb

F_Bomb New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  14. Legia_Detroit

Legia_Detroit New Member

Nov 3, 2010

I really like Detroit Steel, never thought of it before. Also the SUFC crest reminds me of the Joe Louis' fist downtown and woudl make a pretty awesome crest. My other preferred name would be Detroit Arsenal.

Also for the jerseys, I think a checkerboard a la Croatia would be pretty neat. Very original to the league and would instantly be recognizable, especially if its orange and navy blue checkers

15. HeMan

HeMan Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Earth
    a few points from an outsider:

(1) i really like Detroit Arsenal even though i hate europoser names. it fits perfectly with Detroit and would satisfy the eurosnobs.

(2) Detroit Express could work if the NASL nostalgia continues. i don't particularly like the name but sometimes cheesy names are the best. how familiar are most Detroit fans with this name?

(3) Detroit Steel is a no go for me. I like the name and it could work...but I instantly think of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

(4) Instead of Detroit Motor City...what about Motor City Detroit?

(5) You could always push the move the Michigan Bucks to MLS????

(6) Inter Detroit? eh. not a fan. unless you were to name the team Detroit-Windsor International...which still sucks in my opinion.

(7) I like Detroit Rockers, and it has some history too. you could also add Detroit Lightning or Ignition.

(8) Detroit Champions, Detroit Motors, Detroit Spirits, Detroit Corinthians, and have potential, but still are probably not as good as the ones already listed.

(9) I'm reaching by listing Detroit Greeks, Detroit Olympians, Detroit Hoplites, Detroit Cadillac, Detroit Automotive, Detroit Mittens, Detroit Robins, Michigan Lighthouse, Detroit Guardians, Detroit Renaissance, Detroit Gild, Detroit Blues, Detroit Airmen, Detroit Lakers, Motown Michiganders, but maybe you can find an alternative from one of these.

10) or you could name the team the Ontonagon Yoopers :)

16. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Detroit Arsenal is the name of a popular soccer club team in the area (club = "AAU" soccer). That name has instant recognition among local soccer circles and is not as euro as you may think.

Detroit Renaissance...you may just have something there. That could be a viable option IMO and is a name that would resonate with Detroiters. Nice option!

The name options that I've heard that I think are the best so far are (in no particular order):

Detroit Express
    Motor City FC/Motor City SC
    Michigan Bucks
    Detroit Renaissance

17. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Detroit Renaissance? This hasn't been thought of before? I really like that option. That could be on the level of Philadelphia Union. Fits the city to a T.

18. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what I was thinking!!

19. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno...isn't that the name of a high school? And I'm not sure that it isn't just a bit too "City" for a team in the Silverdome.

I wouldn't mind something like Lakers or Mariners or something else associated with the Great Lakes. Too bad there isn't some scary predator fish, at least one with a better name than "Asian Carp."

20. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right...Renaissance is a HS. Forgot that they may have the lockdown on the name (that is, if they stay open).

21. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm repping you in spirit. There is nothing europosing about a name if it makes sense... shit like Real Salt Lake is europosing because it's inauthentic and only exists to ape off Real Madrid. Calling a Detroit team "City" or "Arsenal" or "FC" isn't europosing, it's using existing soccer nomenclature that fits the area and the team. Arsenal in particular has NOTHING to do with the team in Highbury.

22. Spectator1

Spectator1 New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Well said redrover

23. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also doesn't really have anything to do with Detroit, other than a temporary nickname from a temporary circumstance from 70 years ago. That's why I put Arsenal into the Europosing category. If Arsenal FC didn't exist, nobody, and I mean NOBODY would think to name a soccer team in Detroit based on the Arsenal of Democracy.

If there was still a large munitions industry in Detroit I could see it, but there isn't. To me, the phrase "Arsenal of Democracy" isn't any more relevant to the city or region today than "Paris of the Midwest," which was how Detroit was known before the auto industry was born.

The rest of your point is spot on, though. "Detroit City" has its issues as a team name, but it isn't really Europosing in my opinion. I once suggested AFC Detroit as a way to point out that there is, in fact, more than one kind of football. It also has a history of being used to distinguish soccer clubs in areas where other forms of football were entrenched (rugby in northern England, specifically).

As you say, there's nothing wrong with using soccer nomenclature in America, just as UK clubs in American sports don't feel the need to discard the American naming customs in favor of Edinburgh Hockey Club, for example. They have the Edinburgh Capitals, and also the Belfast Giants, Cardiff Devils and my personal favorite, the Grimsby Red Wings. :D

24. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if "Arsenal of Democracy" is totally irrelevant as a nickname, I've seen it (and "Paris of the Midwest") on t-shirts, etc. Obviously the only reason it's been suggested as a name is because it's a well known soccer brand, but the point remains there is a legitimate reason for a Detroit team to be called Arsenal that has nothing to do with ripping off a global brand like RSL blatantly did.

I'd go so far as to say that adding "FC" to the end of team names isn't inherently incompatible with American sports tradition. Every major professional team has "___ Club" as part of their legal name. Common usage notwithstanding, is there any practical difference between the Seattle Mariners Baseball Club and Seattle Sounders FC? The M's even had a logo displaying the full name in the day:

[​IMG]

25. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Another outsider here.

I like the sound of "Motor City FC", but I can appreciate the wish to use the old NASL name for continuity's sake.

Maybe something like "Motor City Express"? (With or without an "FC" tagged on.)