The Detroit MLS Name-Logo-Colors-Kit Thread

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by RedRover, Aug 4, 2010.

1. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see a simple circular badge with Chelsea's with the 4 quadrants of the flag in the circle and "Detroit City" on top and FC below it

2. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]
    how about this. Had to mash around the stars and fleur-de-lis to make it fit. I also tried a version with a navy circle and orange boundary but I felt it blended with the star's field too much.

1 person likes this.
  3. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like it a lot.

4. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to D-Cubed again.

Now that Sporting KC has apparently stolen my preferred color scheme (that's the second time, I wanted orange AND the name "Dynamo" before Houston stole it!), I may have to go all-in with navy + orange. That is, unless I can think of something else that's both distinctive in MLS and possesses a soccer pedigree.

I've avoided either green + white or blue + yellow, so as not to polarize the potential fan base, but it's becoming harder to hold that line. The round crest above or the previous "D" shaped ones would go with either.

5. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's one that I would seriously consider if I won the lottery:

[​IMG]

;)

6. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happily, for me anyway, MLS already has a team with UMAA colors:

[​IMG]

7. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I really wish that the team would've been in a remodelled Old Tiger's Stadium because then they could've used that green and white and gone with Celtic Detroit or Cork Town FC. Green is a color that isn't used at all in the Eastern Conference so it'd be cool to claim it. Sadly I think that the Cosmos are going to get it before us, assuming they even become a team.
    I had another go at the Navy and Orange. I really like clubs with the sleeves one color and the body another. [​IMG]

8. DetroitTFC

DetroitTFC BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ That is a mighty fine looking jersey!

9. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really wish that came across as navy, because I really think it would look a whole lot better than the orange and royal that I'm seeing.

10. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some have proposed an "Inter Detroit" identity for the team... maybe we should have the Canadian flag there with the American flag.

11. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    I did up the logo exactly as was presented using Inkscape.

[​IMG]

And, also one involving navy and orange for the circle:

[​IMG]

12. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This got me to thinking. When I read it, my first thought was, "Why just the US and Canada? It should include Poland, Mexico, Greece and the Middle East," all of which are well-represented in Detroit's population.

In trying to figure out how to represent that many nations in one crest, it occurred to me that three of them, the US, Poland and Mexico, use the Eagle as a major emblem. So, a neutral Eagle could go into one quadrant. In the others, put the Star and Crescent, the Goddess Athena and the Maple Leaf.

Or, in the past I've suggested a version of the UN symbol, with a soccer ball replacing the globe. That would go well with the light blue kits......

13. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    A flag to go along with the circular designs.

[​IMG]

14. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not very artistic, but here's a first attempt:

[​IMG]

15. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    -I'm really liking that redo of the circle; my versions seem to end up all pixely. Looks a lot smoother and less cramped. The only change I'd suggest to it at this point would be to maybe change the star pattern to 4 4 3 2, or to re-arrange the 2 left stars in the 2nd row from the top and the 3 left stars in the 3rd row from the top into more of a triangle so the 1 on the top doesn't sit out as much.
    -The problem with those jersey templates is that there's light filters that give the wrinkles definition and make it look more real. However they also mess with the color, so navy ends up either brighter like royal or darker like purple. When you disable them it looks flat but more navy:
    [​IMG]
    -Haven't finished the mixed heraldry yet, but so far I'm using the Michigan flag shield to hold the heraldic quarters. In the meantime here's a bit of color added to the Inter Detroit logo
    [​IMG]

16. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the laurels, a great representation of the Mediterranean heritage of the area. Instead of the soccer ball, maybe some kind of representation of the Ambassador Bridge could center the logo? I'm not sure this could be done by one of us, but something like this:

[​IMG]

More of a silhouette, though

17. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    How's this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the second one with the navy/orange!

19. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Perfecto. I like the Navy/Orange especially. The white ring between the crest and the flag makes such a difference. What kind of jersey design/color scheme would you want to see this on on Rover?

20. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    I always thought navy and orange would be a good color scheme for a Detroit soccer team. If you go back to the first page of this thread, you will see some of my designs for a proposed Detroit Motor City FC team that included the navy/orange as well as a powder blue scheme borrowed from the United Nations flag. A good color for a team called Detroit International, or Inter Detroit.

And because of Portland's impressive change kits, I could see one for Detroit based on the colors of the city's flag. I have some idea for that that I just need to get around to doing.

21. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Here we go, the league's nastiest 3rd kit
    [​IMG]

22. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch. Seriously.

23. Conartist

Conartist Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Alright, so I've been following this thread from a distance for a while now, and here is my first crack at a crest/shirt. I've always liked the sound of Motor City Football Club, as I think it's to the point while not sounding too pretentious or fake. I've chosen black and blue for my color scheme, reflecting the hard working, blue collar feel of the city. I know blue and orange seems the popular choice around here, but growing up a huge Tigers fan I wanted to kind of get away from that a bit. I also know that San Jose uses black and blue, but I've tried to use it in a different way than they do. Basically, the inspiration for my shirts is Detroit muscle cars, hence the vertical stripes. The crest also draws inspiration from the city (the old English D, the Spirit of Detroit, and the lion from the city crest). Finally, instead of including the team's founding date at the bottom, I used the date the city was founded since I have no idea when the city will get a team.

Here is the crest and home shirt. Away shirt soon to come.
    [​IMG]

24. Conartist

Conartist Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  25. Conartist

Conartist Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club: