The Detroit MLS Name-Logo-Colors-Kit Thread

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by RedRover, Aug 4, 2010.

1. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    I'm partial to the name Detroit Motor City FC.

Detroit International - or Detroit Inter, Inter Detroit - and Detroit Express are also favored, AFAIC.

2. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like the name also, but for a team that plays in the city. In fact, in my wildest dreams of soccer in this country, there are two teams in the area, one in the city and the other in the suburbs, which would create one of the most bitter local derbies outside of Glasgow. Yes, I said that it was just a dream.

This might not resonate with people unfamiliar with this area, but there is quite a bitter sociological split between the city and the suburbs. Lots of people who live in the suburbs have a deep-seated antipathy toward the city, and that antipathy has become mutual.

Calling a team "Detroit City" whose home is in the suburbs would really strike an unpleasant chord with a lot of potential fans on both sides of Eight Mile Road, in addition to being literally inaccurate.

3. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh man, that's so true. Having a Detroit team and a suburban team would be absolutely awesome... we're talking Glaswegian levels of intensity there. Sometimes I wish the American system had developed just the British system had... can you imagine if we had multiple baseball teams here, one for the city and one for the burbs? Wow.

4. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think that the NHL could put a team in the Palace and create a heck of an instant rivalry. With Illitch buying it along with the Pistons, though, what little chance there was of that happening becomes zero.

5. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that being discussed briefly when NHL had their "Southern" expansion back in the late 90s. I think it was ruled out because they thought the Wings, with such a ginormous, loyal fanbase nationwide, would snuff out any new Detroit-area team.

But yes, your wild dream of having a team in the city and one in the burbs is one I share.

6. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davison talked about moving the Lightning to the Palace at one point in the late 90's.

7. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    Hello, Detroit MLSers.

I just did a tweek on my Detroit Motor City FC logo to make the silver chrome look a little more realistic. Plus, I did a tweeking of the kits I created to go along with them.

Logo:

[​IMG]

Home kit:

[​IMG]

Alternate home kit (for those that prefered the navy blue shorts):

[​IMG]

8. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    Road Kit:

[​IMG]

Third Kit:

[​IMG]

9. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    And for SYoshonis, a set with sky blue in the logo and kits.

Logo:

[​IMG]

Home kit:

[​IMG]

10. RedRover

Aug 15, 2007
    Road kit:

[​IMG]

Third kit:

[​IMG]

Merry Christmas to one and all! :D

11. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must spread rep for all of this...Merry Xmas!

12. Conartist

Conartist Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sorry, but I find the name Detroit Motor City to be a bit redundant. Nobody would confuse Motor City FC with another city. Plus, when I think DMC I think of the Detroit Medical Center- "Take 'em to The DMC".

13. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beautiful! I hate that Sporting KC seems to have taken the sky blue, though.

14. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I like the use of Navy and Orange, but I prefer that Navy be the predominant color, perhaps with white or gray sleeves and orange accents. My only concern with an orange jersey is the surrounding clubs; (Chicago and Toronto with red and Columbus with yellow) navy provides a starker contrast. I also really like the sky blue away kit. The logo is great and I think it looks better over the heart than centered.

Here's a couple of kits I made using the established color scheme. I tried to set them up as home/away but the pairs aren't set in stone; I paired them together based on a good contrast. I like the combination of #1's navy and orange in vertical stripes the most, since most teams in MLS with stripes use the horizontal hoops pattern rather than the bars. Any combo would be acceptable in my book.
    [​IMG]
    what do you guys think? Also, did you use a specific program to mock up those jerseys or are you just a wizz at photoshop and graphic design?

15. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

Kit with stripes

[​IMG]

away white

1 person likes this.
  16. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are great...that first one looks more purple than navy, though. Think you can repost with a navy/orange one?

Also, I think the Detroit Tigers Old English "D" may not be allowed on the real things, although I do like where your head's at.

17. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you, there should be some sort of stylized "D" in the logo, along the lines of the following:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]
    Here's 'Reflex Blue'. The filters in the template distort the navy so it looks more purple. I used this D from and Olde English font. Let me know if I need to blue it up a bit more, it's hard to tell.
    [​IMG]
    This one is minus the stripes but with the field from the state flag of michigan.

If anyone else want to try their hand at this, I found this website that tells you how and where to find some of the resources. I'm using a trial version of photoshop so I've been making as many different versions as I can before my 30 days runs out. I couldn't find as good a template file as is used in the site's tutorial, but the individual jerseys are still fun to work with, plus it makes it very easy once you figure out the interface.
    http://www.designfootball.com/tutorials/football-kit-design-tutorial/
    I posted a few more on http://detroitsoccer.blogspot.com/ as I made them, you all should give it a try, it's really fun. I'll probably work on a different D logo some time soon

19. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked at the blog (very cool, by the way), and I really like the flag with the soccer ball. The Old English "D" is too derivative of the Tigers, both aesthetically and legally, but what if you just left the ball in the center and rounded off the upper right and lower right corners of the flag, making the whole thing shaped like a "D"?

20. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Which looks better?
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  21. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beautiful! I like the top one, with the smaller serif.

22. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both are pretty great, but I actually like the second one more. The larger serif makes the D shape a lot more obvious.

If the team were called Detroit City, that logo would be absolutely killer.

23. DetroitTFC

DetroitTFC BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCFC for the win. Before anybody says it -by the time Detroit get a team, DC United will be Baltimore United, playing in Crab Cake Arena. See, no name conflict. :D

I am really liking the Detroit flag crest. Maybe push the cut in a little to accent the serif (either big or small) and I'd say that's quality.

24. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A couple more logos I put together
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I like some of the ideas in this thread so far.:)