The DeSantis Thread (aka Florida Man 2)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Smurfquake, Aug 16, 2022.

1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was indeed a brutal misstep. The context was that McAuliffe kept hammering about Youngkin's extremism and his closeness to Trump on the issues--he wasn't wrong about that, but Youngkin was savvy enough to tone the Trumpy talk down (and was able to get Trump to agree to stay out of the race). Because this was in 2021, low-information voters just weren't swayed by any of that. Biden had won, the GOP was out of power, and Youngkin and a mostly compliant media made the race all about local and state issues.

So by the time McAuliffe stepped in it at the debate, he'd already managed to wear out his welcome with the voters.

But there were also behind-the-scenes issues. His campaign did a lousy job coordinating and communicating with local parties in the State. We heard horror stories from other County committees about unreturned phone calls, failure to deliver signs and other very basic campaigning stuff, failure to coordinate with other races, etc.

charlie15 and rslfanboy repped this.
  2. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    McAuliffe: “I Don’t Think Parents Should Be Telling Schools What They Should Teach”

I agree with McAuliffe here.

This sound bite is a shame, as the policy (not giving parents "veto power" over school materials) in an exceptionally sound policy and the way schools have worked for hundreds of years.

Parents should NOT be in charge of their children's education. If they want to do that, homeschool.

I am fine with parents having a say (an parental advisory committee or something), and then allow the educators to "defend" the book, but to give parents the power to remove materials from the library or curriculum? No way.

Minnman, onefineesq, charlie15 and 4 others repped this.
  3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was 100% correct, but it was a trap and he walked right into it.

raza_rebel, charlie15, Mike03 and 3 others repped this.
  4. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Exactly and his answer was terrible.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, when I lived in Memphis, the first exit into Mississippi was obvious. No signs needed, no nothing. And even that part of Memphis was not all that great.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would also point out that the school issue is about the only cultural wedge issue Youngkin has, so I expect him and AG Minyares to go all-in on it for the next two years.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If said parents have degrees in education or some humanities field, fine. If they're tech folks, dropouts, GED holders, they need to be quiet and grateful.

I really think there ought to be laws against homeschooling. I know folks who homeschooled their children. There is no way I'd send a student to any of them, because they homeschooled for religious reasons.

xtomx repped this.
  8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree about the problems with homeschooling. I find it incredible that parents (those who are not educators, as well as those how are, but not in the same disciplines) think they are qualified to teach their children an equivalent of the grade/high school education.

9. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    At one time I would have found it incredible but as time goes on I overestimate people less and less often.

superdave, Mike03, rslfanboy and 3 others repped this.
  10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They think anybody can do it, which is why we don't get paid what we earn.

There's a general disrespect for educators across the board. And the way we allow elementary to serve in part as child care doesn't help that. Meeting children at their natural stage of development can often seem contradictory to what academia ought to look like. I didn't want to wipe noses and dry tears --THAT is a parent's job-- so I went for secondary, where crying and snotty noses occur (somewhat) less frequently.

Minnman, xtomx, Mike03 and 2 others repped this.
  11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this movement was started by over educated people. Parents who had advanced degrees thinking they knew all about education because they had advanced degree.

There is a growing population of parents who homeschool their kids for non-religious reasons. Yes, there are the libertarians, but there are a growing number of Black families who don't see school teaching with Black students in mind. On that front, it is why my cousin is homeschooling her two younger kids. The older was treated as an oddity and White kids played with his hair. She complained to the school, but nothing was done. So she pulled the older out because he felt unsafe (as did she. The younger was never enrolled). She found a group of other parents who homeschool and they do a lot of things as a group.

I'm not okay with that, and she seems to think that she can teach them because she has a PhD. But they are not being homeschooled for religious reasons. The same goes for the group she has them in.

xtomx and rslfanboy repped this.
  12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all know that education is more than just teaching subject matter. And that is the part which parents don't seem to understand.

Auriaprottu, xtomx and bigredfutbol repped this.
  13. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You'd think that the pandemic period when parents had to supervise their children's learning at home would have taught them something but for many it didn't.

Mike03, Auriaprottu and xtomx repped this.
  14. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Things went downhill after Ikkemotubbe sold his land to Thomas Sutpen.

[​IMG]

superdave, Dr. Wankler and bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I am qualified to teach my kids, but they won't have me as a teacher!

xtomx, song219, dapip and 1 other person repped this.
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not surprised. Sure, some learned that it takes a lot of effort and planning to keep students occupied for an entire school day. But the part they don't get is how to get kids, particularly elementary kids, to work cooperatively.

dapip, Mike03 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  17. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Florida is lost in no small part due to the Florida DP.

It has to be one of the worst run parties in the country. Gerrymandering effectively destroyed the party for the near term anyway.

18. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Designated Player? Is there no tradition that MLS hasn't shat on?

ElNaranja repped this.
  19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Of this I have no doubt. I'd balk at saying "over educated", tho.

I completely understand. It's tough to get enough of the right Black families to saturate their own school zones so there is no contact with White students or conservatives, so they end up choosing what they think is the best school, finding out later that it's the best school only if you're White.

I understand her situation completely, my beef is with the others.

20. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between Youngkin, Minyars and the other wacko lady Lt Governor, this trio will inoculate Va voters against the GOP for a while. They are way out of steps with the state general political leanings.

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Christ Alimghty, keep parents out of school decisions. They are about as useful there as they are "advising" youth soccer coaches.

Minnman, rslfanboy, Mike03 and 5 others repped this.
  22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I was handing out Democratic sample ballots outside a polling location on election day 2021, I ended up chatting with my Republican counterpart (we're both members and officers of our respective party committees for the same magisterial district in PW County). Interestingly, he said that among his fellow GOP insiders, they expected Youngkin to win by a couple of points; Miyares to barely squeak out a win (I miss Mark Herring)...and Winsome Sears to LOSE to Hala Ayala. They knew she was a dud and considered her a drag on the ticket.

It didn't work out that way, of course--GOP voters were motivated and mostly disciplined, and all three won by just about the same margin.

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a public librarian, and I'm currently getting a LOT of unsolicited advice on what books we should and shouldn't carry.

roby, rslfanboy, Mike03 and 2 others repped this.
  24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Boo! Boo! Boo!

Auriaprottu repped this.
  25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "Rest assured, (sir, ma'am), that should that book appear in our library, you will be under no obligation to read it."

rslfanboy, superdave, Mike03 and 3 others repped this.