The DeSantis Thread (aka Florida Man 2)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Smurfquake, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He has Jack Tripper's voice! I wasn't sure who he sounded like, Thanks for the reminder. IMO, he was gonna need to change his voice to win anything anyway. Not tying it to sexuality, but he just has kind of a whiny and higher-pitched thing going on.

Presidents don't all sound the same. Kennedy sounded absolutely grating, and so did both his brothers (family thing?). Blow your nose, Mr. President. Can't remember Nixon. Carter was okay, reminds you of people more than buildings and offices. Reagan sounded okay. GHW Bush, not so much. Kinda whiny. Clinton sounded great, and familiar, like Carter. Dubya flubbed words, but the overall tone of voice was okay. Obama sounded great, but different from Clinton or Reagan.

Trump sounds like a cartoon Mafia villain. And he does it on purpose. He doesn't think he sounds cartoony (he may think he sounds like Reagan), but he does. I don't recall whether he was like that in previous decades or not. Biden sounds fine.

Strangely, enough, IMO, DeSantis sounds more like Kennedy than he does anybody else. they were both kind of nasal, but JFK didn't whine.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If he'd kicked a person of color, neither Carlson would have uttered a syllable in protest. Caring more about dogs than people is wypipo central. And I love dogs.

But the big story here is that four innocent dogs are being reared by subhuman trash like the Carlsons. Take their dogs away from them.

charlie15 repped this.
  3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vox has a pod out about Florida, and that it is the fastest growing state (one of for the past 20 years or so) with substantial job growth, and lots of businesses moving because of incentives (and politics). It's self-fulfilling and likely to run out of steam at some point (as the Vox pod talked about environment, hurricanes, and home insurance. And, also, abortion). Yet the people they interviewed all talked about Trump.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're the guy who likes pineapple on his pizza.

You have 2 strikes. ;)

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assume?

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Kennedys had that Boston Brahmin thing going on, even though they were Irish Catholic. They'd say "aaahsk" instead of ask, "caaahn't" for can not, etc. Like a lot of regional accents, that's gone by the wayside when people all started to sound like the 6 o'clock news. Nobody calls a cold, sugary, carbonated drink "tonic" anymore, but it was pretty common 40 years ago. Sure, there's still the blue-collar Boston accent -- "Bawbby th bah-tendah, he goes t'me, he goes, yuh caaahn't paahk yuh caaahr heeh, yuh gutta paahk ova theea in tha paahkin lawt."
    Google Rich Little. The guy could do the most amazing and lifelike Nixon impersonation.

Auriaprottu and roby repped this.
  7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yup. It's just great that they were male. A woman with that kind of voice would have me looking for earplugs. I remember a Consumer Cellular commercial with this Black couple (among many) where the lady says, "Yoo should go wit Consoomah Cellulah". It's cute... but it would eventually grate.

I was watching a YT video of a Madden game between two really great players, and the guy who had uploaded the vid was constantly subbing Ws for Rs.

I do remember him a bit from SNL.

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL! If you've ever spent time in these parts you'll hear women with the same kind of accent. When I was in college I had a girlfriend (for a couple of weeks) who sounded like that. However, she had other qualities that made up for it.

The Noo Yawk accent isn't much better: "I was standin awnloine and this dawg comes up t'me and asks me if I woant cawfeee. Hey, I know dawgs can' tawk, but I ain't gonna turn down a free cuppa cawfwee, y'knowhatImean?"

Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Cwafee. Like Pwaulie. As I hear it, the w comes before the vowel.

10. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    It would be odd if the cat stayed right next to you the whole time. I’ve seen plenty of cats walk along with their owners, although they are off to the side like they are stalking.

11. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Even if it’s pink?

12. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope it's especially if it's pink.

Anyways, I had another thought on Tucker Carlson's dogs. It's not their fault they are owned by a terrible person. They can still be very good dogs. Probably when Rhonda came over, they were doing the right thing, identifying him as a threat, some kind of skinwalker or robot in a human costume, and reacting correctly - letting their awful owners know that this visitor is dangerous. Rhonda doesn't know how to act around dogs, just like he doesn't know how to act around people, so he took their threat identification as a threat himself and acted out against them.

So probably the dogs are not at fault. I think that's more likely than Tucker Carlson raising bad dogs.

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Dafuq? He had one of the most distinctive voices & mannerisms of the late 20th century. JFKs Boston accent & Nixon's odd, jowly cadence.

xtomx and spejic repped this.
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah, I remember all of that, just not the specifics of his voice.

15. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The only president I remember but can’t really remember his voice is Ford

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Here you go.

18. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Whitmer's accent is very Michigan. I know she leaned into it heavily when debating her GOP opponent, who was from Illinois. Apparently we Michiganders also talk quite fast.

I'd laugh if there was a President from Detroit speaking in Detroit terms. "Whatupdoe? Mr. Speaker, you better boss up! VP, you good?"

Mike03, xtomx and Auriaprottu repped this.
  19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm 100% sure the dogs are good dogs- I'm just trying to wrap my brain around somebody kicking (or pushing with his foot) a dog that wasn't bothering them. Who the hell does that shit while running for political office?

soccernutter and bigredfutbol repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #3445 The Jitty Slitter, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    The NY Magazine piece is fascinating on the downfall of Tucker.

It seems he was a makeweight on the Dominion settlement (it was going to be Hannity)

The final straw was his plans to run for president, which apparently Lachlan Murdoch was fine with. I know this seems bizarre but it makes sense in the twisted logic of wingnut land. The Bulwark and others had lots of rumours of this.

Tucker saw Trump as busted, and Desantis as an unrefined fascist. As the second most famous member of the cult, it made sense for Tucker to run.

Murdoch apparently saw Trump as responsible for the Dominion mess.

What I find so revealing is all these people despise Trump and openly talk about what a clown he is in private, yet can't manage to get together to stop him. Ron was their exercise in wish casting.

bigredfutbol and Chesco United repped this.
  21. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am truly enjoying this clown downfall....I guess those polls are woke. It says all you need to know about the Florida electorate that GOP voters in most of the country took one look at this guy and said "No ********ing way. Hard pass"

NBC News: “The Florida governor, once seen as the top rival to former President Donald Trump in the 2024 GOP primary, sits in fifth place in New Hampshire, according to a CNN poll released Wednesday. He hasn’t visited the state, which holds the nation’s second contest, in more than a month.”

“A Washington Post/Monmouth Survey of South Carolina voters earlier this month found him in only slightly better stead — fourth place — trailing Trump and a pair of home-state candidates, former Gov. Nikki Haley and Sen. Tim Scott.”

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, after Trump smeared him, you can bet that the base would abandon him.

Tell ya what- I'd rather DeSantis win than Scott or Haley or Ramaswamy

superdave, soccernutter and charlie15 repped this.
  23. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would rather none of them win....including TFG.
    Having said that Scott, Vivek or Haley were not touted as the next big Republcan hope and didn't have ten of millions in the coffers. He is a neo fascist as well and we have seen him in action in Fl. So good riddance.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, yeah, would be great to have four more years of Biden. I'm just saying that if the GOP non was to win...

bigredfutbol repped this.
  25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly think Haley would be (slightly) better than DeSantis. Or less-terrible, anyway.

Ramaswamy might be the worst of the bunch.

superdave, InTheSun and charlie15 repped this.