The definitive word on expansion

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by monster, Oct 27, 2003.

1. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Donovan probably counts as a max salary player in any case, so it wouldn't matter anyway. I stand corrected.

2. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    If Chivas USA thinks they are going to win in MLS using their young B squad from Guadalajara, or off-the-street pick-up players, it'll get ugly quick. Meaning, they'll find a way to best LA's new record of no road wins.

The only way they can be competitive with a mostly or all Mexican/Mexican-American team under the current rules is:
    1) MLS bends the intent of the rules by giving most or all discovery players/ transitional internationals to Chivas.
    and
    2) Chivas uses those to bring in some quality Mexican players.
    and
    3) MLS HQ looks the other way when they pay these players more than the salary cap. Vegara: 'Look son, we'll pay you $50k on the MLS books, but I'll give you a few bonus pesos when we bring you back to the mother club at the end of the MLS season.'

I sure as hell hope Garber is thinking about how to prevent #3 from happening. If he can manage to keep Chivas competitive, and away from either end of the spectrum, then this will be a boon for MLS. It opens up an entire market that is currently relatively uninterested. There is no other change that could singlehandedly make such a decisive difference in attendance, TV contracts, and corporate sponsorship interest. Anybody that can deliver a substantial portion of the hispanic population to a corporate advertiser will get handsomely rewarded.

3. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say this as if MLS wouldn't actually consider doing that. :)

Plus my guess is that the TIs will get increased to 22 with the extra team, or 24 for two extra teams.

Who are the Mexican American players in MLS right now?

Don't count Carlos Bocanegra who ain't never gonna play for them (If Carlos isn't in Europe by the start of next year I'll be stunned).

4. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on. The dude just invested $12 million in MLS, got us a brand new team and then he has the nerve to say the team will be competitive and bring in new fans.

Why the hell woudl he not say that? That is what we want him to say. Finally MLS has an owner that will bring media attention to the league. Lamar Hunt is a good quote - but Vergera brings an energy this league has never known.

MLS could use a brash talker. Would you prefer he say some BS " we'll try and be competitive in a few years adn slowly build our fanbase"? What a load of crap that would be.

Chicago won the double their first year. Chivas could do the same. MLS teams 3 - 10 are very average in quality of play.