The Definitive Luis Figo Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by JuveleoRules, Aug 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    they show highlights of Real Madrid loss, the fans jeered,
    Figo meanwhile his on top of his games, they lost the quarterback of the team

Real Madrid 11 pts behind Barcelona

2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Figo refused 8 Million euros a year to stay with Inter

Futebol/Itália: Figo (Inter) rcusa proposta do Qatar Luís Figo, actualmente ao serviço dos italianos do Inter Milão, recusou uma oferta bienal oriunda do Qatar que propunha o pagamento de oito milhões de euros por cada época de contrato, informou hoje a imprensa italiana. Segundo “La Gazzetta dello Sport”, Figo, de 33 anos, deseja terminar o seu projecto, isto é, conquistar o campeonato italiano de futebol com a camisola “nerazzurra”, que enverga desde o início da presente época. Nos últimos anos, várias "estrelas" do futebol em final de carreira têm recebido propostas milionárias de clubes daquele país do Golfo Pérsico.

3. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Anybody that says that Luis is only in it for the money is out of their minds.

He could've stayed in RM, and made 5 mil, but prefered to play for less at Inter.

Who's laughing now.

4. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Another good performance from Figo as Inter win 3-2 over Cagiliari.

5. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They are in third place and I think figo has helped the team get that far with his play.

6. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I havent seen much of his play for Inter. He isnt a lead scorer by any stretch, but how is he doing with assists? Did he score today?

7. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    go to www.inter.it, inters website its great they have videos , player ratings etc its good stuff. they have it in english too.

I beleive Figo got the highest rating on inter.it (he has gotten the highest many times this season I check all the time) in their 3-2 win over Cagliari today.

8. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  9. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    People like him over there because he is working his ass off and looks in better shape when he was with real madrid.

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  11. CR7!

CR7! New Member

May 19, 2005
    Figo with a goal today in Inter's 3-0 win over Palermo. He swung a ball in for someone to get a head to, no one did, but the ball managed to find its way into the net.

12. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Wow...I wish I could screw up my crosses like that!

13. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  14. Forever-Sporting

Forever-Sporting New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    he should feel good, he was in on all the goals, took the corner for cordoba's + cambiasso's goals b4 putting in one of his own.

15. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He might be in better physical shape, but in terms of performance, he's not actually doing anything different than when he was with Madrid. In Madrid, he had to carry the team, and sometimes he couldn't do it, and instead of praising his effort, they called him a has-been and criticized his ability, but the truth is he was always one of the better performers, he lost something his last year because he wasn't played, but I think everyone who doubted him had to take back some words when he came out of retirement for Portugal and put in a great performance against Slovakia despite having such little pitch-time to lead up to that, couped with another fine show against Estonia.

He is still the same player he was at 25, some debate he's slower, I debate he's just smarter.

16. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is great for all the nay sayers..even some on this board who though he was done...

Inter is still alive in all competitions and he is doing extremely well...His is getting some hefty praise from the Italian media...

Real Madrid are the fools...keep Beckham and let Figo go...boy that has worked out well hasn't it...

17. Forever-Sporting

Forever-Sporting New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Well we all know that they arn't the smartest club, picking up beckham instead of ronaldinho just because beckham was better looking. look at what they missed out on.

18. Portugallia

Portugallia BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 9, 2005
    Beckham's corporate sponsors (Pepsi among others) pay Real Madrid 150 million a year just to keep Beckham in a Real Madrid shirt regardless his performance.

Perez and Real Madrid's board are all businessmen and I'm sure they're not complaining.

The fans on the other hand must be fuming.

19. CR7!

CR7! New Member

May 19, 2005
    Actually, Beckham has arguably been the best Real player this season, not that this means too much considering their form.

20. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    While Beckhams sponsors may be paying Real Madrid to keep him there, saying that they pay 150 million a year is like saying that Bill Gates is a trillionaire.

21. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    what am awesome game he played....vintage figo. he was involved in almost every play and was all over the field. This guy is hitting his stride just in time. Even all my Italian friends love him...the only european in the starting 11

22. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    Maybe but I read it from an Italian sports journalist which made the correlation between Real Madrid's poor onfield performance to the clubs sky rocketing income profit the year Beckham arrived.

Beckham's sponsors are Vodafone, retailer Marks and Spencer, Adidas and Pepsi to name a few. These are huge corporations!

It's well known Beckham and Real Madrid agreed to the club controlling 50% of his personal sponsorship contracts and it's estimated Beckham to be worth around US $330 million.

At least according to this source: http://in.rediff.com/money/2003/jun/21spec1.htm

23. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    Here's another article about Beckham's worth

http://www.hindu.com/2004/10/06/stories/2004100608741800.htm

Beckham's real value

MADRID, OCT. 5. The Annual General Meeting of Real Madrid Football Club on Sunday revealed the true value of midfield star David Beckham to the club.

Madrid's income since 2002 has increased notably, from $187 million to an expected $368m for the 2004-05 season.

Of that, almost half (45.6 per cent) $168m — is due to come directly from marketing.

Only $112m will come from club membership and ticket sales.

``The signing of Beckham revolutionised income through marketing,'' said newspaper El Pais on Monday.

If you combine the two fastest growing sectors in the club's financial activities — television coverage and marketing — they jump from $109 in 2002 to an expected $257m for this season.

The vast majority of this will be driven by deals struck with companies such as adidas and Pepsi and through the distribution of images and products made under licence.

In all of these, Beckham is prominent, and his interest to television companies across the world should not be underestimated.

El Pais added it was no wonder that the saying, ``I'll sell the Bernabeu Stadium before I sell Beckham,'' is being attributed to Perez.These figures might also help explain why Perez signed so many English players, a step that had puzzled many Madrid fans. The British media's high-octane voracity for all matters related to Beckham and the English players has served to maintain momentum in marketing sales. — AP

24. Bubs2522

Bubs2522 New Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Connecticut
    Why are we discussing Beckham in a figo thread???? WHO CareS!!!

25. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I agree, Beckham couldn't even shine Figo shoes:D