The Defender "Crisis"

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Reazzurro90, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Well lets face it, he got his launch to stardom in Italy, has been playing there for like 7 years now, and has developed the bulk of his talent with Italian clubs, so why not allow him to play for Italy considering it was Italy and Italian football that made him the player that he is today?

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Despite his talent, it will be a move of desperation if Italy does call him up. I don't want him playing in la maglia azzurra.

3. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just read the Diarra thread and see what people think about France for doing what they do. I could see if Italy was the USA but when you are a top power you do not do this.

4. Azzurri_in_U.S.A

May 16, 2006
    California
    France, Spain, England, Holland, Portugal, Mexico, and on and on have done this--and still do this.

The only teams that really don't are Brazil and Italy; that will change soon enough though, as guys like Mario Balotelli, Stefano Okaka, etc join the Azzurri. Although Okaka's case is different as he was born and raised in Italy--and became the player he has because of it.

You know, I don't mind a player, or two max--but teams like England, Holland, France who have a steady flow of players into their squad really are a disgrace to football.

5. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't mind a player or two either if they are of full Italian blood but born somewhere else.

6. VigorLamezia

VigorLamezia New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    CT
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    To get back to the defender topic, there is no lack of potential and promising talent coming up, the issue is the lack of playing time for some of these players. I think the whole issue will be resolved once the common sense kicks in to get rid of Donadoni as coach which will signal the end for many past-prime defenders. Criscito, Chiellini, Motta, Canini, Pisano, Andreolli, Raggi will all be knocking on the door very soon in Chiellini's case he is totaly ready just in a logjam at the position unless he wants to take on the CB gig. Now the problem comes in that once the Cannavaro regime is finished if Donadoni is still around im afraid it is going to be a makeshift central defence no longer a set in stone backline like the Cannavaro-Nesta years, but consist of players in the 27-30+ year old range that will all be interchangeable until Criscito, Andreolli, and other CB hopefulls are ready to step in. If you look at it we've had Grosso who peaked the last 2 years and was never a highly touted prospect before Palermo, Materazzi was worthless for a few years between 02-04 but found himself again well into his 30s, Tonetto as well had a big year last year. There's always going to be these players who you think are done or come out of nowhere in their late 20s early 30's and will get a call. As for Barzagli, he is not a "young prospect" any longer he's 26 and will need to come through when called upon. If not he will quickly be replaced like Zaccardo for calls to the NT, as his teamate Rinaudo should get a chance soon, Bonera needs a team to play on, as does Ferrari and that goes for the 25+ central defenders who will probably be fill in's if they play consistantly, on the wings dont forget Moretti (Valencia) and Balzaretti if he gets to play. The real next crop like I said are the 1983s and younger, Chiellini and company. When the time comes I'd like to see Motta replace Oddo, a pairing of Criscito-Bovo, or Criscito-Canini in the center and Chiellini replace Zambrotta. It all comes down to how they are developed and the opportunities they get.

7. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    After watching today's performance I think it's quite clear that we don't have a "crisis" ;)

8. cooca

cooca New Member

Jul 15, 2006
    I think this "crisis" is refer to the post-Cannavaro regime. So we still have to find "the one" to partner with Barzagli. ;)

9. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    His name is Chiellini ;)

10. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Well, it's been almost 3 months since we last discussed our "defender crisis", and I think it's safe to say a lot has changed since that point. Barzagli for one has established himself as a legitimate world class CB, who can definitely fill the void left by either Materazzi or Nesta.

Meanwhile, young Chiellini has done nothing but impress as of late, whether it be with Juve or with the NT. Andrea Dossena also put on a spectacular performance for the Azzurri at left back in the friendly against South Africa last month, meanwhile Zaccardo is probably having his best spell with Palermo so far this season. There are also other names like Dainielli, Bonera, Gamberini, and Pasqual that should not be forgotten.

In the beginning I felt that this whole "defender crisis" was greatly exaggerated, and that it was only a matter of time before some new blood gradually came in an made their mark. I think it's safe to say that even when our legends like Cannavaro and Materazzi are finally gone, we will still have the talent to accomodate our situation.

11. Radeek

Radeek New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Częstochowa, Po
    Whats happend with Marco Andreolli ? Is he injury ? If yes, when he will be can play ?
    He is really great defender...

12. JuveFE

JuveFE Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Jersey
    no such thing as a defender crisis in italy. one thing were always going to be known for is our solid defense. nobody produces great defenders like italia.

13. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Last I heard he is still injured, yes. But even so, right now he sits as probably our 4th CB at the moment right behind Matteo Ferrari who usually gets the first substitute spot in the event of an injury. I do agree though that Andreolli is a great talent.