The Defender "Crisis"

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Reazzurro90, Aug 27, 2007.

1. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You have not analyzed the situation completely which is surprising since Mexes plays for your team and at this moment in time is a better defender than both Gallas and Thuram who by the way played 45 minutes yesterday for Barcelona against Inter. Mexes most likely will be partner by Thuram and it is a good pairing with both having experience playing in Italy. If Thuram can not go look for Domenech to move Abidal inside.

2. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is probably a moot point anyway judging by the players Domenech has called.

3. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Calling Mexes better than both Gallas and Thuram would be like you saying that Barzagli is already better than both Cannavaro and Nesta. I love Mexes and all, but to say he is already better than two well established world class defenders like Gallas and Thuram is a bit exaggerated at this point in time. Yes he's a great defender considering his relatively young age, but he's gonna have to prove a bit more to be considered at the same level as Gallas and Thuram. ESPECIALLY at the internatinal level.

But back to the original point, France are hurting just as much as we are in terms of injuries. Plus their coach is even banned from the match, so we aren't in as deep as everyone is dramatically making it seem we are.

4. avante_ultras

avante_ultras New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    the answer is clearly and obviously Guglielmo Stendardo :eek:

but in all seriousness....we have a lack of depth in the center of defence

our future wingbacks r fnatstic...but the central defenders...not so much just yet...and i think thats both donadoni's fault for not calling up younger talent and giving them a shot, as well as the structure of many of the big clubs who use players that r useless to us.

bonera shouldve neve rleft for milan, roma has no useful italian defenders as starters, nor do inter(asie fomr materazzi, i think hes inter's only italian player, quite sad), or juve.

fiorentina have donadel if im not mistaken, palermo have barzagli, lazio have stendardo, empoli has a few actually...these players need exposure...

5. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Donadel plays midfield for Fiorentina, not centerback. I think you meant to say Dainelli who happens to be a pretty solid centerback in his own right as well. But like I said, I don't feel it's so much a lack of depth that's the problem. We have some great up and coming centerbacks ready to be given a shot, but as you said they just aren't being given the necessary opportunities by both their respective clubs, or by the NT. But the talent IS there nevertheless!

6. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not to beat a dead horse and continue my ranting like Forzabbruzzo says but Criscito is being given a chance by Juventus and playing him next to Chiellini bodes well for Italy in the future.

7. Via Vetulonia

Via Vetulonia New Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Roma
    They used to come around all the time. Remember, there was an era when Vierchowod barely played for la nazionale. Just think of the talent that kept lo zar off the team.

8. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    He will be a great future defender for the Azzurri. But I do emphasize the word FUTURE in my statement. Criscito will get his opportunity soon enough. But right now is not the opportune moment for him.

9. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hopefully they call Panucci as there is still a chance for the best right back in Italy

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/sep1h.html

10. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Donadoni should call up Terlizzi and Stovini.... :D

Just kidding....even as a Catania fan.... I really hope not.

11. avante_ultras

avante_ultras New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    we cant use crisictio for big games toh because lets face it hes inexperienced.

2 games under his belt for juve in serie A is not enough ot convince me he is ready for la la nazionale.

is he worthy of a call up? certinaly.

but to start...no.

but i would call him up to get some experience and learn form cannavaro and the other great defenders.

as for chiellini.

if he can adapt to being a centerback form hsi full back position so be it.

but i do think he would be better as a full back then as a centerback.

12. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

I don't even think he's worthy of a callup yet. Honestly, say by chance that either Barzagli or Cannavaro get injured during this match, do we really wanna put the fate of our central defense into the hands of a 20 yr old with VERY LITTLE Serie A experience under his belt? Personally I'd feel more secure having Panucci, Dainelli, or Chiellini backing up Cannavaro and Barzagli in central D.

13. avante_ultras

avante_ultras New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    well im only saying we should call him up because usually a friendly would be a great oppurtunity, but that oppurtunity passed us with the calling up of players such as palombo and diana:(

id say we should give criscito a call up eventually, and by that i mean soon, its a shame our next 4 or so fixtures r all important, maybe for the next friendly i guess.

14. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Perhaps. Same goes for guys like Pazzini, Bianchi, and Nocerino. Hopefully Donadoni will be wise enough to give Rosina a call up for one of the qualifiers though.

15. avante_ultras

avante_ultras New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    rosina definately deserves it more then players liek freaking palombo and diana...i swear if i see their name tommorow...

by the way, maybe not for these qualifiers, but the enxt id love ot see amauri called up

16. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's definitely a crisis.

17. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I never want to see Amauri get called up. The guy is not Italian and neither are his ancestors. Do you want Italy to become like France and the rest of them? I do not. Donadoni is a CLOWN for even suggesting this.

18. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    + 2

19. avante_ultras

avante_ultras New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

believe me i think the same way, but ******** everyone else is doing it.

20. Via Vetulonia

Via Vetulonia New Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Roma
    I wonder what it says on his passport?

21. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We don't really have a defence "crisis" but the only thing is that most of them are young. They just need experiance. We have a goalkeeping problem. Aside from Buffon and Amelia, who do we really have? What sickens me is that there are four teams that have Brazilian keepers.

22. colagrosso3

colagrosso3 New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Montreal
    perrota and camoranessi are not italian eather they are english and argentinian so dont dis amauri, he would be a great addition to the italian national squad

23. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Bah, Perrotta is easily considered more Italian than British. His parents were Italian immigrants living in England when he was born and he only ended up living there till he was like 5 or 6. A way different situation from Amauri or Camoranesi.

24. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    At least Camoranesi had a grandparent that was Italian. Amauri has no Italian blood in him. This is a JOKE to even suggest that he play for Italy and is a total desperation move.

25. colagrosso3

colagrosso3 New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Montreal
    it is not a desperation move, amauri wouldent mind playing for italy and wouldent with brazil eather, it is because he knows how dunga is, u gotta play one style of football and if u dont than you dont play that is why he perferes italy and he has been italy for a long time so he is an Italian citizen

amauri is a suberp forward and would be a great addition to italian team