The Death Rattle of Tom Daschle

Discussion in 'Elections' started by peledre, Nov 2, 2004.

1. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure this is going to be a thread-happy day in the politics forum, but this needs your attention.

In a last ditch effort to steal the election, Thomas A. Daschle personally sued his opponent John R. Thune, trying to get Republican poll-watchers excluded from all the polling sites statewide, alleging voter intimidation on the reservations via, get this, aggressive eye rolling and note taking by Republican poll-watchers.

I'm not making this up.

Here's a Live-Blogged Report from a blogger who was in the courtroom for the proceedings

The short version is that the case was a complete farce, the judge hearing the case is a longtime friend of Daschle's who actually represented Daschle in '78 during the first lawsuit that got Tom elected, and who was appointed to the bench by Daschle himself.

They only called one witness who had been in South Dakota for all of 48 hours, a Deaniac from Iowa who got absolutely ripped to shreds on the stand.

The judge ruled that Rep. poll watchers could not write down the liscense numbers of voters in one county in SD.

2. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    So, if Katherine Harris were in SD, and she had a license plate number imprinted on her ass, would she be in violation of the court order? ;)

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.argusleader.com/news/Tuesdayarticle1.shtml

"Republican poll workers in Lake Andes were intimidating Native American voters on Monday, a federal judge ruled early today.

Republicans may not write down license plate numbers or follow Native Americans from polling places during today's election, U.S. District Judge Lawrence Piersol ruled in a temporary restraining order."

Gee, why would people find it intimidating for strangers to tail their cars after they've voted? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jim? Jim Crow, is that you?!!

JIMBO!! You old bastard, where the hell you been dude?

Florida.... ? Ooooooh, right.... Hey, nice tan.

Well, I'm sure you're busy today, so I'll let you go. Hey, by the way, I'm mighty thirsty...got a firehose on ya?
    HAH! Just kiddin, ya! Take care, Jim, old boy.

5. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll trade you Daschle's head for Dubya's. Deal?

6. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take that deal in a heartbeat, honestly.

7. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    If this was an off year, I would care a little more. Every seat in the senate counts, after all. But in 2004, when we have the most important presidential election in our lifetimes, I say BFD.

Anyway, I want the Dem party leadership looking left, not right.

8. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The second you cut loose Daschle, your whole state becomes a pinch of stinkbait on an appropriations committee hook.

9. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Common urban myth.

This country wouldn't have a 7.4 trillion defecit or whatever it is if only senate leaders bring home pork for their respective states.

10. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If early polls are to be believed, that's what we're getting.

Daschle is an Wuss Democrat. As long as Republicans threw him a bone every once in a while, he'd roll over for the worst legislation put forth by Lott / Frist. We need to establish consensus on some important things but the idea of consensus is to make legislation better, not accept blindly bad pro-SD amendments attached to bad bills.

Get ready for gridlock, kids.

11. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And why would they be writing down plate numbers of vans trucking in Indian voters?

Because in '02 many Indians were paid between $10-$20 and trucked in by vans to polling places to vote for democrats.

And puhlease don't believe anything the Argus Leader reports, their journalistic integrity is laughable even by New York Times/Jayson Blair standards.

12. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like so many Democrats, Tom Daschle ignored his state base of constituents; he's gone... John R. Thune is likely elected... and another big-time Democrat hist the skids... trading his state reputation for power in Washington!

Bye bye Daschle... wish you could take Leahy and Kennedy with you!

IntheNet
    Bush/Cheney in 2004
    GO DC United

13. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Gridlock would be better than the current porkfest. If we lose Daschle and Bush today, it will be my happiest day as a political observer, ever!

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Me too. Especially when they are crossing a busy street in London, England.:D

15. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Early exit polling showing Thune up by 4 in the eastern part of the state which is inline with the latest polls.

16. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Wow, I never expected Michael Jackson nose jobs to catch on in South Dakota of all places.

17. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump, for obvious reasons.

In the end, Thune defeated Daschle by a margin of about 4,500 votes, 51-49%.

This is the first time a sitting Senate Leader has lost his re-election bid in 50 years. Huge pickup for the Republicans in the Senate who were already having a good night with the news from the Southern Senate Races. The Reps will in all likelihood have a 55 seat majority, and a bonus for having the Obstructionist Daschle booted down to K Street.

EDIT: As I've been saying all along, it sounds like Harry Reid (NV) has the votes to become Minority Leader next session.

18. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad he's gone. Toodle-loo wimp.

I've hated his ass since his lackluster work during the impeachment.

19. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Congratulations, peledre.

20. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very happy to see Thune elected. He was out here in the Bay Area several months ago when it looked like an uphill battle to unseat Daschle, but Thune was optimistic. Got to meet him. Quality guy.

21. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    And with that, South Dakota vanishes off the map. Nice work, guys! Enjoy having a junior senator!

22. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Can't say it bothers me too much. Daschle was such a weak and ineffective leader that I would rather have one fewer Senator if it meant the leader had some balls and all jokes aside, that person might just be Hillary.

23. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Not too bothered.

Dashle did the worst imitation of a Democrat, ever. Good riddance.

24. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you're hoping to get a more liberal senator than Daschle out of South Dakota, all I can say is good luck with that.

25. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Oh, I know. I'm just saying, he wasn't that good a fit as the minority leader.