The Death of the Contested Drop Ball

Discussion in 'Referee' started by GlennAA11, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    @Cliveworshipper -- if play was stopped for a foul by the GK's team, it would of course be a FK, right? Or am I missing something?

Sounds like the classic NCAA rule writing haha.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #27 Cliveworshipper, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014

Well that certainly could be an alternate restart. When I argued that point with a long time ( retired ) ncaa ref, he cited the " two bites from the apple" principle on advantage. There was only a second or so between the foul and the stoppage for injury, just enough time for the ball to roll to the keeper from just outside the box and the ref to signal advantage. The retired ref argued advantage could have been completed ( there was a deflection)

And the stoppage was for injury, not for the foul. You restart according to the rule that caused the stoppage, don't you?

Question for you... When is a punt a restart?

But odd writing is not exclusive to the NCAA. IFAB is perfectly capable of writing oddities and inconsistencies. There is currently a pretty good discussion going on at FIFA about the " triple penalty"

3. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    I don't think the rule is referring to advantage situations. It only refers to situations when play was stopped for a foul. The biggest loophole I see here is if you read the rule broadly to mean that "possession" includes having the ball in control at your feet and that there's no listed area the GK must be in for an IFK to occur. So if the GK decided to play in his team's attacking third for whatever reason and play is stopped while the ball is in his "possession" you could argue that IFK is the correct restart.

4. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    Gotcha. I've always read that to be an obviously statement -- that if you stop for an injury and the GK has possession, you can do IFK, but if you stopped for the foul it's a FK. The concept of advantage being applied here is blowing my mind... maybe I need more time to absorb this.

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #30 Cliveworshipper, Apr 29, 2014

The rule I quoted is for stoppage for injury. It only mentions a foul in reference to the proper restart.

When advantage is called, there is no stoppage for a foul. Another circumstance causes the stoppage.

And in this case, the keeper had the ball in her arms.

And I think where the keeper has possession does matter. The first sentence talks about the goal area. The rest is commentary on circumstance.

But a punt is never a restart in either FIFA or NCAA , which is what the FIFA white badge allowed.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #31 Cliveworshipper, Apr 29, 2014
    The play was not stopped for the foul. Advantage was called. Injury caused the stoppage. It was a bad two footed studs up challenge, with player screaming and crowd gasping.

Another ref decision that had me shaking my head is that no card was issued even though the foul was acknowledged and the player fouled had to leave the game on a cart.