The DeAndre Yedlin thread: how high is his ceilng? (merged)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by usry723, May 15, 2014.

1. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speed kills. Always has, always will. On the pitch, on the road (less glib there cause its literal). Yedlin has speed in buckets...pre-accident Charlie Davies' speed +. His twitter foibles notwithstanding, if he maintains his pace, and gains a more sophisticated touch, adds more nuance to his insight (which the move to Tottenham certainly may provide) and sees some meaningful minutes, D'andre will be the new poster boy for our 2015 USMNT outlook. He may not need to unseat Kyle Walker to get on the field; if he were playing ahead of Walker on the right flank, that would be a pairing that would make most BPL opposition defenders work their nuts off to solve.
    In any case, I'm happy DY has gotten off to a seemingly great start. It's not easy to impress established BPL pro's, but it looks like DY has done just that . More power to him!

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  2. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Walker is a poor RB. You should expect Yedlin to take his place.

3. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Walker has appeared, in 131 matches for Tottenham in the three seasons prior to 2014-2015 (90% plus as a starter). He can't be that poor.

USOutlaw16, ChrisSSBB and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  4. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I'm hit and miss on Walker. I've seen him look very bad, and I've seen him have games where he's undefendable. I think in a defensive game, he can be a liability. In a game where spurs are getting forward, he's a true threat. He's a lot like DY in his skillset.

It wont surprise me if DY ends up being a right mid instead of FB, at least to start. That would be a formidable pair to try to corral. Late game offensive sub against tired legs ala world cup first apprearance?

I will go so far as to say he's instantly one of the top 5 fastest players in the EPL. I can't think of anyone quicker off the top of my head. Walker and Lennon would be up there. Ox and Walcott. Maybe Sterling.

5. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MPNumber9 and Marko72 repped this.
  6. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Might be able to find a stream somewhere...

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Are any of these players older than Yedlin?

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Harry Winks is 18, Connor Ogilvie 18, Daniel Akindayini is 19, Dominic Ball 19, William Miller 18, Josh Onomah 17, and Nathan Oduwa 18.

If someone is older, it's probably the keepers. Oh and the captain, Bongani Khumalo is 28 (as per Transfermarkt).

Scotty repped this.
  9. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    It's not unusual for young signings to play in U21 games first. Pretty sure Dier did too.

bungadiri repped this.
  10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was touted as a potential national team player at one point but never panned out, correct?

11. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He was second choice for a while, 10 caps, but that says more about England and our inability to produce RBs than anything else.

bungadiri repped this.
  12. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Walker has all the tools to be good, but makes too many poor decisions to ever reach that level consistently.

13. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It won't be easy for Yedlin. I wouldn't be surprised for him to see some early success but once teams see what he is about, it will become a different game for him. His speed and quickness gives him a decent shot but the speed of play in the Prem is going to be something very new for him.

14. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Walker had some 1v1 trouble late in the game today.

15. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many still expect to see him called into the next squad now that he is healthy.

bungadiri repped this.
  16. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    When will Yedlin feature for Spurs you think?

Need to remember to start DVRing Spurs I guess.

17. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Against Sheffield in the Capital One Cup on the 21st would be a good bet I reckon.

18. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Might have to watch that if you reckon.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  20. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
  21. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Yedlin named MOTM today vs Swansea.
    Brightest spot in the Newcastle backline? I tend to think so

Good Job Yedlin!

22. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A Premier League player on a Championship team.

23. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminds me of a discussion on the NBCSN pre-match show a few weeks ago. When discussing Newcastle, the Robbie's (or maybe just one) noted the poor quality of the squad and were speculating on which players, if any, would draw interest in the PL if Newcastle were to go down. They halfheartedly threw out a few names as potential squad players, but did not mention DeAndre. I happen to think he might find some interest at the bottom of the table, but not much more...

24. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You're putting too much stock into Robbies.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  25. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all. I've watched him play plenty. He's got a lot of work to do on his game. He's a fringe PL player right now playing on a team full of similar (and worse) players...