The DeAndre Yedlin thread: how high is his ceilng? (merged)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by usry723, May 15, 2014.

1. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see a thread for him. If there is already one, I apologize.

Anyways, he's one of the most polarizing players in the current player pool. So, I figured he deserved a thread.

------

Sky Sports has a feature they do where they pick a player and have scout breakdown their game. Well, they just recently did one on Yedlin and I think it is quite accurate. They gave him a total score of 56/80 which equates on their scale to "Great Prospect".

Here is the write up: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/30603/9310918/world-cup-scout

radjedi, CyphaPSU, dark knight and 6 others repped this.
  2. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yedlin seems to be a great prospect.

The scouting report is out on him now, and teams are starting to exploit his weaknesses. Post annihilation this past weekend, the Revs said their primary strategy was to exploit the space vacated by DeAndre as he ventured too far forward into the attack.

He's a young player, who'll work on his defensive discipline and focus.........................and for me he's a great USMNT candidate going forward. Of course we have some other right back prospects in the pipeline as well. Kellyn Acosta of FCD comes to mind. Pre-injury he was starting in MLS (and holding his own) as an 18 year old. He's a full 2 years younger than Yedlin. [He was keeping a multi-capped USMNT fullback on the bench in Zach Loyd] There's also Will Packwood that's sort of a Jonathan Spector-like RB/CB/CM.

5. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've watched almost every Seattle match this year. IMO they do not do a very good job covering Yedlin's space when he bombs forward. They should have a plan in place to cover his flank when he goes forward. He deserves partial blame for getting caught out, but I feel the team defensive plan I really lacking. If a team made a conscious effort to make sure there is someone helping on Yedlin's side it wouldn't be as noticeable as it is.

But that's just the way I see it.

Fanatical Monk and ttrevett repped this.
  6. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. While Yedlin needs to improve in when he bombs forward, Sigi also needs to have the team cover that space better when he does. Looking at the highlights of that game, the team did not seem to recognize what NE was doing and definitely did not cover that space that was vacated by Yedlin.

jeffmefun and usry723 repped this.
  7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    In my experience growing up and the coaching I received--often times it's the outside mid who slots in place of the LB/RB as a 'RB or LB in the moment' who is to cover a Yedlin when he makes a run. If not, that's bad tactics/coaching/discipline on the player.

But about Yedlin--instantly when I saw this kid because of injuries and his promotion to the first team from their youth team, I knew he was the real deal when seattle was in teh CCL.

He has that speed, that 1-2 give and go ability to be tidy and neat with his touches and space that is the foundation of truly great players. With age and experience he jumps to a bigger team in europe.

Fanatical Monk and usry723 repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Watching that game live, the whole Seattle backline was getting shredded. Not just Yedlin. They were exploiting Evans on the other side as well. So much so that they had to take Yedlin off, and bring on Leo Gonzalez in the hope that he could help somehow. And the centerbacks were scrambling like mad. Chad Marshall is a lot of things, but he's not going to beat Teal Bunbury, Lee Nguyen, or Diego Fagundez in a foot-race. Not in 2014 anyway. And shockingly Osvaldo Alonso seemed to be completely off of his game. It was like bizarro-world out there.

That NE team could be scary when they get Kelyn Rowe back. And they're predominantly starting Americans.

9. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it seems like Seattle relies on Alonso to play well to slow up attacks against their backline. Despite a slow start to the season, Heaps (can't stand this guy) has NE playing well.

10. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    He's definitely a huge prospect, but I also think he is not at all ready for the world cup. He might be the only player I have ever predicted would be/wanted to see in the national team after his first game. He has a very bright future, I just think this WC is too much too soon.

11. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I disagree with the statement that Yedlin is one of the most polarizing players in the current pool. Most, including me think he's a great prospect who will one day do great things for us. There are some of us though who would rather see him work on the defensive side of his game before turning him lose against the likes of Germany, Portugal and Ghana.

cthomer5000, WrmBrnr and ImaPuppy repped this.
  12. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounded good in my head. It'll look better in a few years from now when this thread is bumped daily.

13. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    NE rolled over Seattle because Seattle was playing the exact same starting XI for the 3rd game in 7 days. Not because of some ingenious plot to exploit the space Yedlin was leaving behind, and they just happened to be able to do it better than all the opponents for Seattle had to date.

That loss was on Sigi. Rotate your squad.

Konut repped this.
  14. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    This. Almost everyone agrees that he is a great prospect..just not a great prospect for WC 2014.

And then some think he should be starting against Ghana.

15. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He is very raw--but a guy like that is only as good as who can slot in his place when he makes these runs. You can't have both.

He attacks well, but needs cover. He's very young, adn I don't exepct him to start any game unless JK really likes what he sees in camp.

Wiht that said, anything can happen in a WC. He has the tools to be a surprise against world class athletes with his speed and strength (kid's built like a mack truck).

16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Not that it matters, but he's like 5'8" 150 lbs..

Definitely not a mack truck. Again, it doesn't matter because it doesn't have much to do with his style of play, but let's not exaggerate.

jeffmefun and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    He might be. JK seems the type to roll the dice in high-stakes games (like our backline at SPS). Sometimes it works out (Azteca), sometimes it's snake-eyes (the aforementioned SPS). I wouldn't be shocked either way if he makes the 23 or is left home.

Yedlin bombs forward with great aplomb. The US, with Vasquez, wanted to attack the left, but stay at home on the right. During the recent friendlies in Europe, the book was out on the US attack. So who knows what tactical wrinkles we have for the WC.

And as for the readiness for this level, hell, I remember a couple of 19-20 year old kids in a 3-5-2 that shocked the hell out of mighty Portugal.

6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  18. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I crazy to think Yedlin could be used purely as an offensive super-sub to add width on the right? He pushed up to RM for the u20s late in games.

OGx3 and MadRHatter repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I believe we have better options in the squad for such a thing.............................

Hell, the offensive super-sub might be Landon Donovan.

Barring an unforeseen injury, there's a very good chance Yedlin will be one of the 7 cuts.
    If you give me the choice of Chandler or Yedlin today, I take Chandler. Similar players in my view. Two years from now that answer could be different.

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    nice

21. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that he will be one of the cuts, but that's not what I want.

I'd take Yedlin and Chandler. Chandler can start, but I would like to avoid him going 90 in all 3 games. Yedlin can come on as a 70 minute sub or so in 2 of the games. He can still have a major impact offensively at that point from the RB position, and allows Chandler to stay fresh.

I wouldn't have Yedlin start; if Chandler accumulates yellows or something, we can have Cameron start at RB, leaving DeAndre as an impact sub.

I honestly would prefer this than to see either Parkhurst or Evans at RB. I don't think it'll happen, but in my head it seems like a good idea.

OGx3 repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    However we can see that if Cameron is the starter.......................Klinsmann could take a player like Parkhurst due to his versatility to play all along the back.

Personally I think its possible that neither Yedlin nor Chandler will make it.

23. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see that happening. Not having an offensive threat at RB handicaps your tactical options. And moving Fabian to RB severely weakens another position.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #24 Clint Eastwood, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    I say that because despite the hand-wringing and mass hysteria it'll cause on these boards...................I think Evans will be on the squad. So we'll have 3 guys on the roster capable of playing right back. Chandler and Yedlin left out.

Cameron does better going forward in the Premier League than people give him credit for.
    Plus, in a group of Germany, Portugal, and Ghana..................I'm more worried about defense from our right back.

25. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Yeah, we have better passers and crossers we could go too.