The Day After

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by BillQ, Jul 1, 2005.

1. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    TV Land has been showing a slew of Movie of the Week this week. Last night, they showed the 1983 movie "The Day After," which showed the US being destroyed by a Soviet nuclear attack.

In a lot of ways, the movie looks a bit dated (Steve Guttenberg was one of the main actors). But, it still is a pretty powerful movie, especially when the nukes start going off and we see the various characters start to get sick from the fallout from the bombs. The one scene that always gave the the shivers was when the Soviets set off a city-buster bomb over Kansas City. That still haunts me.

Anyone else have any opinions about this movie?

2. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This aired when I was a freshman in college. The whole school was a little shaken up afterwards, probably because we realized that Dover AFB was only about 40 miles or so from campus, and that we may as well have a rooftop BBQ if the missles ever really flew.

3. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    I only saw it a couple of years after the fact. My mom, not wanting to get upset, forced us all out to dinner that night. ABC re-ran the movie in '89 and I couldn't sleep for a couple of nights after ward.

4. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember seeing it when it came out (I think it was then, not the re-air. As a kid, it was pretty disturbing.

Actually had a pretty decent cast. Lots of info here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085404/

5. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you go to the Quotes section, there's a great one that could apply to some parts of BigSoccer some days.

"Stupidity has a habit of getting its way."

6. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in 2nd or 3rd grade when it came out. I remember hearing warnings to parents that it might be disturbing to children - not that I had any real interest in watching it, but I didn't see it then and I haven't to this day.

I remember my Dad taping the miniseries Amerika a couple years later and glimpsing a little of that, but not much.

7. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The British film Threads is much better and even more disturbing.

8. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    There's an academic essay on the end of the Cold War that argues (not very convincingly, IMO) that watching The Day After had a major influence on Reagan, leading him to tone down his rhetoric and to pursue disarmament talks with the Soviets.

9. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was hugely controversial in 1983, that I do remember, though I was 13 and my parents didnt let me watch it. Seems funny now, it's pretty tame by 2005 standards.

10. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    I was in 5th or 6th grade. Living in KC, the city buster scene was very powerful.

11. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Watching this movie now it seems like the entire script is one pro disarmament catch phrase after another, especially the scene in the barber shop with John Lithgow. Still a pretty thought provoking film but very dated some 22 years after it's release. I remember reading an interview with the movie's director shortly after it was first aired where he said he was very surprised that after viewing the dailies ABC never asked him to tone down the graphic images he was creating. Just my two cents but "On the Beach" made just as big an impression on me as "The Day After" without all the graphic stuff.