The "Dark Night" of Theresa of Calcutta

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Bill Archer, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're a person of faith, and particularly if you're a Roman Catholic, you might check out The Anchoress. Her explorations of the divine and her expressions of faith are thought-provoking and deeply intellectual.

She's writing about the publication of the letters of Mother Theresa, and how some people - particularly those who want to scorn and tear down people who believe - are using them as evidence that she was some sort of atheist.

This interpretation simply illustrates the willful lack of understanding which is sadly all to common.

St. John of the Cross and St. Teresa of Avila have both written of the “Dark Night of the Soul.” Mother Theresa of Calcutta and St. Therese of Lisieux wrote on it, as well. It seems to be a particularly scathing sort of dryness and loss that occurs at the unbreechable chasm between human and divine love. The suffering is very great. The blessing seems to be in that one only gets to that point - to that dark night - when one has advanced so far in love and in faith as to have perhaps exceeded human understanding…when perhaps all there is left is the ability not to praise or to do, but to simply be, and to be willing - humbly willing - to simply listen and be led, even to where - like Peter - you would rather not go.

http://theanchoressonline.com/

2. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Anchoress is one of my favorite blogs -- in fact, it is sort of the model for my own blog.

One thing to remember is that "My God, my God, why have You abandoned me?" is not the proclamation of an atheist by the lament of a believer. And the 22d Psalm goes on to state that God heard his pleas, and at the conclusion, the psalmist promises teach future generations of God.

3. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a big fan of faith, god, religion, or any of that nonesense, but it would be silly to think that she was an atheist just because she had blip of doubt after seeing India. If she were to stay and try and help people there, yet no longer believe in god, any logical person would decry organized religion while doing it...

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just not sure that "doubt" is the word for it, at least in terms of belief.

Rather, and this is just how I see it, her doubt is in relation to herself. She doesn't spend a second wondering about the existence of God. That's a given and she would spend no time on it any more than she'd comment on the sun rising in the east. It is what it is.

Rather it seems to come from a desperate search for the unknowable. In striving to develop a Christlike character she - and John Paul II and you and I - are fated to fall short. But she and the saints went so much farther than the rest of us, right up to the brink of that "unbreechable chasm" that separates us from the divine.

5. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Jesus’ disciples asked him why they could not drive a demon out of a boy…

He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20.

Having little faith does not make you an atheist. Recognizing it makes you stronger. Confessing our lack of faith to the Lord is necessary for forgiveness.