The Dark Knight

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Walter3000, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome.

Nolan and Bale have crushed any previous duo including Burton and Keaton.

I was worried as people(my friends included) talked up Ledger's performance it had a little to do with, well you know, but I saw it today and all the hype and praise he is getting for that performance is justified. Best villain ever on screen?

Aaron Eckhardt's role as Dent/two-face was a great performance as well and maybe the best story line of the movie.

ANyone know how many of these they intend to make?

Spoiler alert:...............................

The Joker will be recast, probably, any thoughts? Daniel Day Lewis is already being rumored, Johnny Depp too.

2. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, anyone?

3. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I saw it on Imax and was blown away. I've read most of the Batman graphic novels and loved them. I didn't like some of the variances in the story but they were ok. Two Face is a MAJOR, MAJOR character in the Batman world. I am not so crazy about his whole revenge role though, that's not Two Face that the creators dreamed up but whatever.

I totally agree about Ledger though. I went in thinking it was all hype because he died. It's not. It's deserved and if he doesn't win and Oscar, then there shouldn't be an Academy Award. Best villian ever though? No. Darth Vader beats the Joker everytime.

4. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I should clarify what I meant by best villain, it was as much performance as it was the character itself, not much performance with Vader.

5. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'd agree to an extent. However I would also say that Darth Vader's performance COULD be construed as better since he got his character across simply with body motions.

6. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And James Earl Jones's voice;)

7. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    A couple things about the movie impressed/surprised me.

1. I never got that "ITS BATMAN!!!" feeling in the movie. My second point will probably explain.

2. There was not one character that the movie had sole focus on. The Joker, Wayne/Batman, Dent, the Comish, everyone played an equal part. It was almost like a play...or something...I don't know I can't explain it. At any rate I loved the movie for that.

Best film I've seen in a loooong time. I'm so glad this was my first movie in theaters for almost 5 months.

8. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow sounds like it's good I'll make sure to get it on netflix!

9. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I have a feeling about that, it's simply because Heath Ledger absolutely stole the movie. You were almost rooting for him. Which leads to your second point...
    Heath Ledger stole the movie. It was all about him. Batman was almost a supporting role to be honest. You were waiting to see where the Joker would pop up next. I don't think Bale was that good this time. Harvey Dent outshone him as well. Either way, for me, the focus was all about the Joker.

10. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They should not bring back the Joker because no other performance will ever live up to that. Remember the psycho that Dent pretends-to-almost-kill after Gordon is fake killed? He's the Mad Hatter. Could be him in the next movie, the guy is creepy as hell.

BTW, I work at a Drive-In Theater and my friend has dressed up as the Joker for work the last two days. Awesome.

11. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They've never done the Scarecrow either. I agree that it's probably time to retire the Joker...you know the won't though.

Also keep in mind that in the books, Two Face (Harvey Dent) is quite the character and a "bad guy" in his own right. He's much crazier in the books and not on this revenge mission angle the movie played out.

Maggie Gyllenhaal is ugly and a terrible actress.

12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So Limey tells me they did Scarecrow in Batman Begins. I have it on my DVR, never watched it. I also just saw Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith for the first time this week. I stopped because Phantom Menace was so bad. Plus I am not a big movie person.

13. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Totally agree about that Gyllenhaal slut. As I said I work at a theater, so I've seen the movie 15-20 times and every time Joker says "Hello beautiful... and you are beautiful, aren't you?" someone around me says "she's ugly." That would be fine, but she also put in a weak performance. Poor casting for that role.

14. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    :eek:

15. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Dark Knight was fantastic and probably the best film I've seen all year. I think that the film has thrown IMDB into some difficulty however. After nearly 200,000 votes it is rated as the number 1 film of all time (which it is clearly not) and so either the IMDB list is invalid or they will have to override some votes thus invalidating every user who votes.......

As for Heath, I enjoyed his performance but did not feel it was oscar worthy. For my money Brendan Gleeson was better in "In Bruges". And this is out of a very small sampling of films - I'm sure there are other better performances. If he wins it is because of his demise, sorry, that's just how I see it.

I thought Bale's portayal of a somehwat subdued Bat allowed Joker to steal the show, as was obviously the intent. Eckhart was also great as Two Face.

I missed the Jervis Tetch moment - thanks for pointing it out, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled next time around.

16. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Great movie, saw it last night. Ledger was great and so was the whole cast.

17. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    The Dark Knight has turned me back into a kid again in a way. I was a huge fan of anything Batman as a child. The 60's show, the '89 movie...Batman lunchboxes and Batman for halloween.

I just picked up Batman Begins a couple of days ago for 10 bucks at a drugstore.

AWESOME.

Bale's performance as Batman is better in this one, although I think it's because he was given the time to shine in the costume. I recommend that anyone who hasn't seen Begins to go watch it right now. Bale is a good actor and Christopher Nolan the director is ON POINT.

I certainly got that "ITS BATMAN!!!" feeling in this one, as opposed to The Dark Knight.

18. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    LOL...I got news for you sonny boy.

19. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Oh yeah? Wise guy huh? Why-I-oughtta...[​IMG]

20. j.fisher

j.fisher So Much Better

May 3, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have seen this twice... blown away BOTH times. Ledger as the Joker was absolutely epic... sadly, with his passing the Joker character can't come back into the films and I'm afraid any more movies will pale in comparison.

21. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The Crow came back, the Joker will be back.

22. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    His passing doesn't kill the character. The Joker will be back as Eddie said. Whether it is in the next film with Daniel Day or Johnny Depp, or in another Batman film series 20 years from now, he will be back.

I for one hope that he comes back sooner than later.

23. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The film is very good. I don't think it's as good as many claim though. Nor was Ledger's performance in any way Oscar-worthy as has also been widely claimed.

But it was good.

Also, Maggie Gyllehaall is a stone cold FOX.

24. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The film is very good. I don't think it's as good as many claim though. Nor was Ledger's performance in any way Oscar-worthy as has also been widely claimed.

But it was good.

Also, Maggie Gyllehaall is a stone cold FOX.

25. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I dont really get what the problem is. IMDB is a nice site, but who cares how the movies are rated? Who cares what is or is not considered the greatest movie of all time?

I guess if I was a snobby film student it would matter more but Im a bigger movie person than anyone I know and I have never ever gotten into a what is the greatest movie of all time debate, just favorites.

And to be clear none of this is a shot at you what so ever. Just a venting.