The Cyle Larin Offseason 2017-18 Saga

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Robert Borden, Jan 14, 2018.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't this (one of) the goal for every business? At least successful ones?

2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Pulisic didn’t sign immediately and the contract he got was for material more money for the next 2.5 years plus the extra year of the extension. I doubt they would have benched him as it would have lowered what they could have received for him in the future.

If MLS values them that high, why don’t they pay him a consistent amount. The only reason they value them that high is the salary structure. What is the basis for MLS players having the reputation of being worth more than $3M. Tottenham got their money back from Yedlin, but he was also a much better player after his loans. Miazga had parts of his game that made him not prepared to step into a mid table Eridivisie side. There are a few others, but there have also been their fare share of flops that have shown the risk of paying for those players. The only way to change the perception is to develop players and sell them such that MLS becomes a known place to find players for $5M.

It will get interesting. Larin is the second saga with a Turkish team. The MLS website had a glowing article about players (including/especially young ones)from various parts of the Americas wanting to come to MLS. If these players who have a goal of playing in Europe have struggles, things going forward won’t be as cheery.

The interesting thing to watch will be what happens when Bradley, Altidore, etc contracts expire. Jones had his salary cut substantially. People argued that he was always injury issues, which was true, but he was still valuable to his teams and shows how MLS treats players. If the same thing happens with the other guys it will only make it that much harder to sign Americans in the future.

I don’t disagree and over stated my point. The examples I’ve heard of are usually in top leagues, over star player and massive transfer numbers. There are also the stories about lower division players like Parks had with Varim. That one single instance had people saying our players should avoid Portugal.

MLS has consistently held out for higher numbers or not sold players. I had Nguyen wanted to go back to Vietnam and doubt after his history, he’d sign another contract with MLS.

3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schweinsteiger's situation at ManU isn't remotely similar to Pulisic at BVB though. The situation that you're describing happened at the end of Schweinsteiger's time with ManU and after it became apparent that he could no longer perform at the level ManU expected/wanted. Pulisic, on the other hand, is performing at the level BVB is expecting of him and is an integral part of their starting line-up. Teams don't bench a starter because of a contract dispute.

4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    So do agree with the other 5 answers I gave?

Yes, these things happen. Since I did overstate my position, I’d rather not speak on the topic and will defer to you... are these common examples or rare occasions that happen in specific situations?

5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Can you share details? If so, he earned it and would have been a great move by MLS/Orlando, even if late.

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QUOTE="scoachd1, post: 36263223, member: 41747"]Basically the whole structure of MLS is designed to control salaries/QUOTE]
    No. The whole structure of MLS is designed to avoid the fate of every previous professional soccer league in the US, ever.

.Cost control plays a part in that.

BalanceUT and JasonMa repped this.
  7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are all wrong?

They aren't any more or less common than any other league. Contract disputes, refusing to sell a player, etc, etc, are all things that happen across the globe. There isn't anything particularly unique about how MLS treats its players.

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think your boss wanting you leave, demoting you then humiliating you is less of a reason to leave than not signing a contract extension when you already have 2 years left.

Schweinsteiger was benched because Mourinho didn't think he was good enough and made to train with the youth team because
    That's stretching it.

Being 35 and way past his best had something to do with it.

MLS doesn't release information about transfer fees.

You're spot on. There are transfer dramas in every league in every transfer window but for some reason people feel the need to denigrate MLS like everything in Europe is perfect. My main gripe with MLS are the player rights rules.

The Franchise and JasonMa repped this.
  9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I’d sure prefer Miazga, EPB, and Hyndman’s contract than Larin’s and those are 5 of my top reason. Feel free to let me know why you would want a fraction of the pay and only guaranteed 60% of it along with the reasons for believing the other 3 are wrong?

I’d add getting to choose your club over being drafted as #6.

[QUOTE="bsky22, post: 36263762, member: 35890”]
    1. Salaries!!!
    2. guaranteed pay!!!
    3. The team committing to you!!!
    4. The teams valuing you consistently with the global market!
    5. The teams responses when you outperform!

They usually sell you when you request to leave (is there going to be a Lee Nguyen Saga thread?). [/QUOTE]

10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    See my previous response... please feel free to address each item separately.

Past it, maybe. He still had a big impact on his team when healthy, so more a matter of staying injury free than talent level. It’s real easy to write a contract that has incentives based on minutes played. He went from just over $3M to $650K in 2016. Beckerman made $750K that year... I guess Beckerman made more because he was 6-7 months younger or whacky DP/allocation money rules.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The Carolina Hurricanes coaching staff decided to move on from the aging $2.7mill/year Arturs Irbe. Nobody wanted to trade for him, so the team offered him a buyout. He declined (his contract was guaranteed for a couple of more years). They sent him down to the then third division ECHL. The team really was nasty about it with some whisper campaigns and other things designed to get him to take the buyout.

I think he played a year and a half down there, but eventually found himself back with the Hurricanes after a coaching change. The new coach - Peter Laviolette - convinced the GM Jim Rutherford and owner Peter Karmanos to let him use him (the Canes goalkeeping was terrible) as he was getting paid and was under contract.

An article about the demotion:
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/irbe-demoted-to-echl-chiefs-1.378000

I actually shot his first game back (at Washington), but apparently I haven't pushed my archives back far enough for those images to be online.

jayd8888 and JasonMa repped this.
  12. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Controlling salaries (or expenses) is a very one sided view. I’d think the successful ones are focused maximizing profits. Most successful businesses understand that they have to spend money (on the right things) to make money, so I’d choose the word optimize over control.

scoachd1 repped this.
  13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Profit = Revenue - Cost

jayd8888 repped this.
  15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    This is a 15 year old argument. There is more than enough interest in the game, that a top professional soccer league could make it in the US as long as it wasn’t ridiculously mismanaged.

The league could manage expenses without artificially holding them down for all but the top 5-6 players on the team. The “salary budget”, as some dooochy mls dot com guy calls it, was just under $6M in 2017 (includes cap, roster spots after 20 or 22, TAM/GAM). Toronto spent approx $22.5M on their team, or 3 guys got $18.5M and the rest got $4M.

The league salary was roughly $200M (22 teams * roughly average team salary of $9M). The top 10 players made roughly $50M. It looks like LAFC’s fee could have covered the rest of the league.

16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    #366 bsky22, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    I think the 3 components were addressed in the my post or were you just posting the equation for others?

17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    €4 * 1.24 USD/EUR is roughly the magic $5M that players are worth in mls. So if we generously assume a 50% increase on his <$200K salary, they were planning on paying him approx $600K on the remainder of his contract. That would make the asking price more than 8 times the remainder of his contract. That seems really high. Let’s see what Pulisic would be worth with that type of valuation... €8M * 2.5 years * 8 = €160

18. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt Miazga had already been a professional for three years when he signed with Chelsea, EPB is in his 4th, Hyndman had been in Fulham’s youth system since he was 15. They’re pretty much known commodities at the point they signed their contracts.... They also had the advantage of being in the USYNT system, so they had visibility into European soccer that Larin didn’t have when he signed with MLS.

Seriously.. Larin signed with MLS because he didn’t have any better offers on the table. That had everything to do with him coming from the POS Canadian system and zero to do with MLS screwing him.

AndyMead, mbar, The Franchise and 3 others repped this.
  19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because players aren't just valued based on the time left on their contract. They're valued on their ability to play football.

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I was responding to a poster that mentioned those three players and asked what was the difference between their contracts and Larin’s 3+2 contract. It is such a silly question to begin with, but so over the top try to argue with the length of those contracts.

21. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Yes, the length of players contracts matter with what teams are willing to pay. The less time on players contract, the less leverage they have. Stoke would have offered well more than the extremely reasonable offer of $750K to get Agudelo less than 6 months early.

MLS doesn’t pay its players as much as should based on how they value them. They actually value them more, the lower their salary. MLS is much more worried about marketing than football. Bradley was purchased $11ish million and paid $6M per for years. Doesn’t that seem odd to you?

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Captain of the best team in MLS history, with attendances are up 25% since he arrived, TV ratings skyrocketing and the fastest growing team valuation in MLS.

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt Miazga refutes your points, by the way.. The Red Bulls offered him a DP contract after his break out season and transfered him to a European team when he told them he wanted to go now..

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but they're not valued solely on their salary times the days left on their contract. They valued based on their ability and potential both with the ball and commercially.

Best team in MLS history, possibly US/Canadian history after the original Cosmos, attendances up 25%, TV audiences rocketing, fastest growing valuation in MLS.

Ismitje and mschofield repped this.
  25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    You are starting to contradict yourself. Is it football or marketing?

Btw... we all know Giovinco is one of the best players to ever play in MLS and Bradley is nowhere near the top 20.