The Cyle Larin Offseason 2017-18 Saga

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Robert Borden, Jan 14, 2018.

1. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like someone’s about to get sued.

JasonMa repped this.
  2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Technically he's just training... If he was playing in a match that'd be a totally different story. Then again, I don't know the legal side of it. Perhaps someone here knows...

Perhaps, a deal has been reached or is very close to be reached.

In the meantime, let's wait for Orlando's next statement

3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players train with other teams during their offseason all the time.. However, those teams are usually not trying to sign the player and have the permission of their team to train with them.

mschofield and JasonMa repped this.
  4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    It’s very different for a veteran almost who will soon turn 28 that has an ability to negotiate his salary, than the take it or leave it option of 20 year old. The former is probably getting over paid and would be more than happy to continue to have it over for a 3rd year. The latter is still rapidly improving and is vastly underpaid relative to his production in the league.

These terms may be valid, but are reputational nightmare. I hope this stays in the news for a while to further make the common public aware of these practices. Top prospects have already rejected these kind of offers and will only continue.

5. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No one forced him to sign the contract. He could have gone to Europe if he wanted to.

As for the contract, it was collectively bargained by the players union. He signed a 5 year contract with the league, with the team having the choice not to make the last two years not guaranteed.

jaykoz3, PTFC in KCMO and JasonMa repped this.
  6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Seems like Besiktas & Larin might take it the whole way on the legal side

7. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I imagine they will try to go to the CAS. I think Larin sees the worst thing happening is that he gets paid and fined for a year to not play and not get his 5th year option picked up.

If this goes to CAS/FIFA, then Bestikas and MLS are going to be playing chicken. If MLS wins, Bestikas gets a transfer ban. If Besktikas wins, MLS likely ends team option contracts. It's likely going to be a settlement after someone cracks.

mschofield and JasonMa repped this.
  8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besiktas has the most to lose here, IMHO. It should be fairly easy for MLS to end the use of option years, but a transfer ban will have fairly lasting impacts to Besiktas..

JasonMa repped this.
  9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    BalanceUT, jayd8888 and JasonMa repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God help him if he gets significantly injured before this is resolved. Regardless of who wins neither team is going to want to be responsible for paying an injured player after all of this.

mschofield, jaykoz3 and Gamecock14 repped this.
  11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe that I have to be the voice of reason here (Larin is being an idiot), but just because options are not as uncommon as people think, it doesn't mean that they are okay. Can we stop bringing up examples of options being used?

mschofield repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such a reputational nightmare that these "rare" options are used somewhat regularly in England. SMH

jayd8888 repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as we also stop bringing up the idea that their outlawed by FIFA then yes.

BalanceUT, jayd8888 and profiled repped this.
  14. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    #264 Placid Casual, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Also makes Besiktas entire argument invalid.

If they were that keen on him, they should have had him signed a pre-contract in July.

As it stands, transfer window closes in 8 days time in Turkey not sure they can get that in front of FIFA and CAS by then.

So Larin is looking at not playing until August at least....

15. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, but I think they realize that they are already on the hook for something. They might want to see how far they can go before pulling out.

I think they have a shot in CAS because he was technically eligible to sign a pre-contract as he officially had 6 months on his contract as the option wasn't officially picked up until Dec. European clubs also have team contract options, but (IIRC) they usually have to opt in prior to 6 months remaining on the contract.

The problem is that 1). Larin signed a document understanding he was under contract and that he had 2 option years earlier last year. 2) He did not (to my understanding) sign a pre-contract when he technically had 6 months remaining on his contract before the option was picked up.

If he had signed a pre-contract, I think Bestikas and Larin have a stronger case. The player union have to be rooting for Larin, because if he wins at a minimum, team options in MLS would have to be picked up by June rather than December, but will more likely end most team option contracts.

JasonMa repped this.
  16. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A year is a lifetime for a player.. He's also creating a reputation for himself that he's a difficult player to work with and, unlike some difficult players, he doesn't have the world class skill to make teams willing to overlook this. If he loses the CAS appeal and Besiktas gets a transfer ban, he's going to be heading further down the soccer league/team ladder to find a team that is interested in signing him...

JasonMa and Gamecock14 repped this.
  18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just making an observation...

The MLSPA and most likely the overwhelmingly majority of players are siding with Larin on this.

Most posters here are siding with the owners and management.

I find it interesting and would like to understand why

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    To be fair, if he doesn't get hurt, he's still getting signed by a EUro club who won't have to deal with Orlando. They don't really care about the Larin vs Orlando skirmish. They are most likely just watching this play itself out

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can make it all go away by throwing money at MLS/Orlando tho.. Instead, they are just making it worse by hyping the fact that Larin is training with the team..

If he had signed a pre-contract prior to the club picking up his option, he might (Heavy emphasis on might) have had a chance. Unfortunately, he did not. Even if CAS views the end of the guaranteed years as the end of the contract, the fact that Orlando waited until December to pick up his options is largely moot with regards to this case. It wouldn't be any different than a team not re-signing a player until less than 6 months are left on his contract.

JasonMa and Gamecock14 repped this.
  21. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    1) He signed the contract knowing it contained option years.
    2) He signed an acknowledgement last year, stating that the option years were valid.
    3) The MLSPA agreed to option years in the CBA.
    4) Larin is being a divvy, especially as he is now training with the team.

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two different situations. It is entirely possible to disagree with the use of team only options and still agree with the team that Larin is under contract.

BalanceUT, onefineesq, asoc and 10 others repped this.
  23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I never said he was forced. i‘ve also said that he is in the wrong with this ordeal.

He could have gone to Europe and probably should have. These contract features are one of the many reasons most of our top youth aren’t signing with MLS. Even a player like Durkin has publicly stated that his contract end when he is 19, so can leave then if he wants. So either the league couldn’t get away with it with him or he is misinformed.

Fans of MLS seem to have best legal background of any sports in the world. To suggest the CBA agreed to it like union negotiations arent very tricky and that the CBA representives focus is going to be on young players contracts is just naive. I personally find the option Years reprehensible at this point. It is Mickey Mouse stuff, constantly nickel and diming players.

Robert Borden repped this.
  24. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The greatest game of human hot potato ever? That will truly make this a true clusterf*** as both teams try to give him away. In the end (if that happens), I imagine MLS will be on the hook with Bestikas paying a significant fee/fine for the infraction.

I am pro legalization of Marijuana. I also can call my neighbor a dumba** and an idiot if he gets caught in a state that is anti-Marijuana. I am not going to be a character witness for someone knowingly breaking the law.

I think the way they pick up the contracts at a late stage is idiotic. I also know that after these contracts became commonplace, MLS young players started making more money. It was negotiated out by the MLSPU and MLS. If I was the Don (also another forum/thread), I would make free agency allowable after 3 full years of playing in the MLS and allow no-trade clauses in contracts if the player wants. There are a lot of changes I would make. At the same time, I see the changes MLS has made in the last 10 years, 5 years, 3 years. Stuff takes time.

The players are siding with Larin because if he wins, it helps them. Opposite for the owners/management.

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they do. Players of Larin's skill are a dime a dozen and he's going to get passed over by a lot of teams because he's rocking the boat over something that appears to be relatively common in global soccer.. As an example, look at what happen to Bosman after he filed his complaint with the European Court of Justice. He got blacklisted by world soccer. The same thing happened to Curt Flood when he sued MLB..

BalanceUT and JasonMa repped this.