The Curse of the Swamp

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Paul Nasta, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    This team is doomed to mediocrity, at best, as long as it plays in the Swamp.

It's not Nick.
    It's not Clint.
    It's not Kevin Payne or Phil Anshutz.
    It's not the ticket prices or the away uniforms.
    It's not Shep Messing, Rob Stone, MSG or ESPN.
    It's not Kenny Arena.
    It's not the home uniforms that are too tight.
    It's not MPF, or noon kickoffs in August.
    It's not horns.
    It's not the weather, or Wednesday night games.
    It's not Jusko or Moreno.
    It's not a lack of beer, or too much beer.
    It's not Bob Bradley, or Bill Bradley for that matter.
    It's not Charlie Stillitano.

The reason this team has never succeeded is because it plays in a life-sucking black hole of a stadium surrounded by nothing but concrete parking lots, which is infected by the toxic waste which was dumped in the land beneath it. The football lines that appear on the field every August slow our players down, or confuse them so that they can no longer score or prevent the other team from scoring. The 60,000 empty seats are like ice cubes which freeze the hearts of both players and fans.

Yes, there's a bad karma at the Meadowlands and there's a bad karma attached to the MetroStars. Coincidence? I think not.

2. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    umm the only real swamp i know of is ben hill griffin stadium, where the gators play.

3. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Jimmy Hoffa hated soccer.

So does his ghost.

4. pepe_pupu

pepe_pupu New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    Arizona
    I actually agree with you on most of that, Paul. The fact that there are soooooooo many empty seats in that stadium staring at the players every match has to be disheartening -- especially at such a big match as the US Open Cup FINAL!! I think we played some of our best soccer this year at Rutgers where the stands were packed, even though less fans in total were there than at Giants Stadium. I think it makes a HUGE difference for the players. Giants stadium is the WRONG place for the Metros to be playing unless we can at least fill the whole bottom section of the stadium... and I don't see that happening any time soon.............

5. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Well, it's not like they played great at Gillette Stadium either.

6. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I'm so ready for the team to announce they're going to play at Roosevelt Stadium until Harrison is ready.

Really.

7. cossack

cossack Member

Loons
    United States
    Mar 5, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MetroStars will NOT be televised!

-peace to GSH

8. gwebster

gwebster New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Bethany, CT
    What's the seating capacity there? The concrete seats don't bother me; like the guy said, just bring a seat cushion. The club could even set up a concession, renting cushions for a few bucks :) I guess the real problem is the lack of parking. If there's a way around that, this park would be fine.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Just install a grass pitch..... and the ESC would be awesome there!

10. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parking lots are covered by asphalt. And what's under them is probably the same stuff that is under Harrison. Supposedly cleaned-up and covered.

11. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jack Bell in the NYT this morning said 2-3 more years at Giants. Ugh.

Roosevelt would be nice... if you lived within walking distance. You can't park in Union City to save your life, though. I'm still holding out a bit of hope for Bears & Eagles Riverfront Stadium in Newark. (Click on the arrows in the upper right to scroll through pictures.) Even if we only got capacity to 10K with temp bleachers around the opposite side it'd still be better than the ninth circle of hell that we play in now.

12. MonmouthMetroFan

MonmouthMetroFan New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Long Branch, NJ
    Anyplace would be better the GS. Heck, Rutgers Stadium would be better.

13. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    For some reason I get the feeling you care more about the Supporters club itself than you do Metro. Thoughts?

14. Beowulf

Beowulf New Member

Dec 2, 1998
    It just feels like NYR Metros really wants to belong... And since ESC doesn't discriminate, they're the only group that will take him... Brain damage and all.

15. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha, i agree.

btw, roosevelt stadium is not bad. If we put up stands around other parts of the stadium, and add a roof, that would be an awesome place to see a game.

16. samiano

samiano New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Ozone Park, NY
    Last year the MetroStars played a US Open Cup game at Mitchell Field on Long Island, which was part of a doubleheader with the Power. If the WUSA is able to resume play next year, I hope the Metros can play some MLS games there with the Power to help their league and also to give us fans in Brooklyn/Queens/LI easier access to see the Metros. It is too much of a burden to get to NJ to see them since we would have to cross 2 bridges and pay 2 tolls each way. If they were going to leave Giants Stadium before their stadium is ready, I hope they would consider playing part of their schedule on LI.

17. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    You just learned something new.

18. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    The problem -- one problem among others -- with Mitchel is that you really do need wheels to get there. The LIRR gets you only so far, and if the team doesn't supply a shuttle, it's a hefty cab fare, both ways between the stadium and the railhead(s)

Personally, if a regular shuttle were available, I'd find Mitchel a welcome change from the Swamp -- and we'd add a lot more life to the place than the WUSA fans ever did. We had some good times at OC matches there -- epecially one against Tampa Bay back when.

What is the word about GS closing down for repairs?
    Doesn't that put us in the same boat Chi was in the past 2 seasons?

19. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Rosevelt would be a nice park but I think if the money and time wasn't spent on Harrison then Hinchcliff would be the best solution.

Paterson is a bit of a march from the NYC area but then again MLS does want another team in the NYC area somewhat soon.

20. soccerdad

soccerdad Member

Dec 27, 1998
    montclair nj
    Assuming Harrison is a go.

If not, I worry about this franchise surviving 2-3 more years if housed in GS. Most fans have voted with their feet. The odds of survival improve if a stake is in the ground prior to next season. Otherwise, care to predict the opening day attendance? Less than 20K.

Why not just move into temporary digs already? Rutgers, JFK in Harrison, Schools in Newark, MSU, Bears, Hinchcliff, Met Oval, Central Park......

21. JBell

JBell New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    New Milford NJ
    The Swamp

I happen to agree with the first post .... as we all know ATMOSPHERE IS EVERYTHING in soccer and there simply is NONE at Giants Stadium for the MetroStars. Never has been, never will be. Even the most exciting, riveting game seems hollow in the cavern. Some of the best games I've ever seen were played at Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale. Lousy venue; great atmosphere.

22. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
  23. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I told you that Hoffa is screwing things up. He is under the goal where the boys enter the field.

24. The Notorious Biggie

Nov 23, 1998
    It ain't gonna bother Uncle Charlie, who's bound to bring another ChampionsWorld / ManU game to GS. It's about getting soccer fans. Not just you guys who make these boards. I just can't see Anschultz gonna spend $25, $50 or $100 mil on a Metro Stadium. I think he did LA for the U.S. Nats, and get paid for them using HIS facility. (Anschultz may like the game) Chicago was able to see a need to redo Soldier Field.
    Uncle Charlie is f-ing the MLS again, and will do all 3 venues.

The MLS is hemmoraging money. They're not the NFL, who BTW will be a$$i$ting GS renovations. The NFL has been getting $$ from SOLD OUT games since 1976 (w/ the Giants). AND THATS WHAT IT TAKES! You guys should be asking who from the MFO should be leaving this season.

Here's a good story. Some kids from the NYC Parks Dept. went to a soccer festival in the Upper West Side. The MFO Mktg. Team and mascot were supposed to be there. Since I have my own program to run, I asked them to stop by, and later if they stopped by the Metros booth for a freebie, or met a player. THEY CAN"T EVEN SAY THEY KNOW THAT THERE IS A N.Y. TEAM. They couldn't answer me!! They remembered the fmr. NYC Parks Commissioner's and his f'n dog!

That there is the problem.

It's time to get the PINSTRIPED KNUCKLEHEADS out of the MFO, and get guys like you- and me, to bring the game to the people!

It's time to put some feet to the fire.

25. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's where i went to school...Sorry to burst everyone's bubble (if people were serious about relocating there) but they have plans already made up in order to build a school in this site, to take care of the overcrowded conditions in the other city schools...Sorry, but i'm too lazy to get a link