The Curry Thread

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by Maczebus, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Great idea to have this forum!

And it should...nay must include a curry thread. Or any Indian or general sub-continental food if you're feeling less specific.

There's a massive culture of Indian food in the UK thanks obviously to the sprawing hand of Empire.
    Hell, the nation's (UK) most loved dish is no longer roast beef and Yorkshire puddings or fish and chips, but chicken tikka massala (a truly Anglicised version of ... well something anyway).

I wondered whether Indian food has had a remotely similar affect on the US' (or elsewhere) palate.
    I realise there's a myriad of different cultures and their respective tastes over there, but how easy is it to find a good 'curry house' (using the vernacular)?

To those that already adore the taste of the sub-continent - what do you go for?

Typical Indian meal, and one that's bog standard:
    Start with maybe a few poppadoms and various and sundry relishes (onion and tomato, mango pickle, lime pickle etc etc).
    Followed by an onion bhaji or two, of course with raita on the side.
    Main course usually takes the shape of a Madras (relatively hot) with pilau rice. Possibly a chicken jalfrezi instead.
    Must have also, a naan bread (garlic variety, maybe peshwari) and a few chapatis to mop up with.
    This is just the template for an acceptably cheap Indian meal. (leave out the desserts, a simple sorbet or ice-cream is the best after all that)
    If I was feeling a little more rich than I usually do, a T-bone/rump steak massala goes down a treat, though it isn't done everywhere - but thankfully my local Koh-i-noor does it wonderfully.

What are other peoples tastes?
    Give me something I should try next time.

PS, If you want to post recipes, do that too. Particularly starters.

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Never been a hot curry man myself. Pasandas are more of my thing. Or butter chicken. I know plenty of lads think it's hard to have a vindaloo, but I've never found having my eyes stream while my tongue turns raw through pain to be part of a pleasurable experience. Everyone knows that tikka masala is not an Indian dish, but a friend of mine (half-Indian) also claims that Vindaloo was invented here too, pretty much in response to all the drunken lads wanting something hotter. She said that her mum (being the one who is Indian) tried a vindaloo once out of curiosity and found it disgusting due to the excessive amount of chillies.

My favourite curry house was actually in san francisco. To be honest the curries weren't spectacular, and they might have even only had one type of plain rice, but the place was a joint venture with Kennedy's Irish bar who did Guinness at $2 a pint. Pub-cheap Guinness-Curry, all under one roof. What a place.

I've also wondered why is it that you always have a few beers, then go for a curry, but never have a curry, then go for a few beers. There's no other kind of restaurant (dodgy kebab vans excepted) that is always post-pub, but never pre-pub.

Actually I've always thought you should have the popadoms last rather than first. Too many overdo it, having 4 or 5, then can't finish their meal - whereas if you had them last you could have them to fill you up if you're still a bit peckish.

3. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Butter chicken is nice and if it's a Passanda, then my choice is lamb.
    Though I've found you have to be careful when ordering that as a take out meal. A few weeks ago I got the said lamb passanda, and there was seriously 4 meagre chunks of lamb in it and the rest was sauce (it was nice sauce but not for that amount of money).
    Madras is about as hot as I go. I get your point about Vindaloos and above. There's absolutely no point in injuring your mouth and all your senses in attempting to eat something that (as you rightly point out) no self-repecting Indian would touch with a ten-foot barge pole. I beleive there are hotter curries than that, which actually beggars belief. So if in doubt, and confronted with a menu that includes either a Tindaloo (slightly different spelling which leads me to believe your story that the vindaloo was invented here) or a Phal, then avoid them. They will cause pain and misery on a scale not normal for foodstuffs, for an extended period of time.

Sorry but you're just plain wrong.

I treat them as an appetiser. The trick is to restrain yourself. It's a bit like the bottomless bowl of chicken and sweetcorn soup with prawn crackers that the local chinese serves up. Got to have a certain amount of will power to not satiate your hunger with the first course.

Ideally you'd be right, one should eat them after the other stuff. But seriously, they wouldn't get a look in after the good part of the meal. They need to be incorporated somewhere, and the beginning is the place.

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    We went to this market in New York over Christmas

http://www.kalustyans.com

The store is located on Lex, in between 28th and 29th.

The selection of curries, chutneys, rice, etc etc etc at this place is amazing. If you love curry and live in the New York area, stop in and check the store out. They have a good deli upstairs too, with all sorts of different prepared foods.

5. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    It raised a smile on my face to see that Branston pickle is listed on their site.

Whilst it is a chutney so to speak, I find it very difficult to take onboard as 'ethnic'. It's ethnicity goes as far as calling turnip - 'rutabaga' on the ingredients list.

I was brought up on this stuff.
    My parents split up and I lived with my dad, who couldn't cook if his life (or mine, more realistically) depended on it.
    Consequently many sandwiches were had during that period.
    I highly recommend it lavishly dolloped upon a cheese sandwich (the crunchy, thick-cut type, not the 'made for sandwich, pussy fine cut' stuff).

Ahhh, the taste of a broken childhood.

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm getting homecooked Punjabi food tomorrow! My friend's mom makes the best Indian food I've ever had...I will report back tomorrow :D

7. JackTown55

JackTown55 New Member

I dated a girl whose parents were from India my last 2 years of High school and ate with her family a couple of times. I also ate at the Indian restaurants in Jackson and one was horrible and the other was better. Not a big fan eventhough I like spice, but for some reason not my thing.

Also where I've been Indian food hasn't really been a big hit in the U.S. like say Chinese or Mexican which is everywhere.

8. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nothing beat a nice Phal. I've never had Phal while sober oddly enough... (is it possible to order sober?)

I like Balti a lot as well as tikka masala.

I think I'm the only person i know that doesn't really care for Korma.

9. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    i just cooked curry last night. it's great to stimulate your nerve.

10. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Paneer Makhani is the best, but I guess that's not technically a curry? Would some one care to explain what qualifies as a curry with regards to Indian food? (Butter chicken sauce with those pressed cheese cubes instead of chicken). We (my boyfriend and I) love Indian food. The best part is that many of the dishes are vegetarian to begin with so the food doesn't taste like its missing anything without it.

We also get Patak's curry in a can here. Its great for quick meals. But there aren't any Makhani dishes and unfortunately their recipe book club in only available to residents of the UK and Ireland. Australia has their very own Patak's recipe club but not Canada. We can also get a Canadian brand of curry in a can but its too watery and not as good as Pataks.

Tasty Bite is a brand imported from India which is really what hooked us into having Indian food at home. We used to go to an all you can eat vegetarian buffet once aweek until we moved out of walking distance.

We also just discovered Asian Home Gourmet packets which are basically spice pastes that you heat with other ingredients. They have a Makhani spice paste which isn't bad.

We also get Thai curries in a can, Massuman is the one my boyfriend likes best so its the only one we've had. (I'm not a huge fan of coconut curries, but Massuman's great).

11. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I'm in the mood for some curry now. Thanks.

I assume most of you here haven't had Japanese-style curry. It's more stew-like than Indian or Thai curry and served with Japanese rice. Good stuff.

It's pretty easy to make. You can find curry roux in most Oriental or Japanese grocers (or regular grocery stores in many cities) and you just cook it with your choice of meats and vegetables. I like to use beef, carrots, potatoes and onions with apple and basil for added flavor.

12. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had it.... It's Wonderful.

tasty tasty tasty

13. Richter Boy

Richter Boy New Member

Mar 1, 2000
    Soulard, STL
    Adam Curry had nice hair. Not quite a mullet, yet almost there.

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    if your looking for a good Indian restraunt then head on down to State College, Pa (Penn State) and on to Calder Way. It's called the Indian Pavillion and one of the best Indian restraunts I've ever eaten. and I've tried Indian restraunts all over the country. Plus I'm Indian so I know good Indian food when I eat it :)

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahh, but there are many different kinds of Indian food...

16. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Lamb Dopiaza from the Surngagow on Aighburth Road here in Liverpool. Unbeatable.

Best Indian Restaurant in the North of England, five years straight.

17. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be in Liverpool on March 23'rd. i'll try to talk some people into going there.

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    and there are curries from different countries. I kill, maim and pillage for good Burmese curry.

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've got an awesome Thai curry place here :D

20. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    when did we import curry from india and how did it become so common in japan?

21. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Me too.... we cooked Japanese curry.

Back in my college days, I cooked curry once a week. They were a mixed between Indian and Thai. It was my own invention....

I am unsure which type of curry I liked.....

Thai Green Curry is nice with duck.... Japanese curry is sweet..... Indian.... I liked them with naan bread.

22. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    i like any kinds of curry as long as it tastes great

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that the curry came with the Buddhism.

24. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Did you know there was a Yokohama Curry Museum? I had no idea.

Anyway, I did a google search and I came up with this:
    http://metropolis.japantoday.com/tokyotravel/tokyotravelfeature/366/tokyotravelfeatureinc.htm

"Nineteenth-century pictures of cities such as Yokohama and Nagasaki, which were the places where Japanese were first introduced to Western foods like milk, bread and ice cream, are posted on the wall. A plaque states that the first recorded introduction of curry to Japan was in 1863, when Indians ate it on their boat at port. However, it was in 1872 that the spicy concoction was formally introduced into Japan. During the Meiji Era, articles in women's magazines and recipe books taught housewives how to make curry, and its popularity quickly spread."

25. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    thanks!!