The current state of our youth national teams

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by xbhaskarx, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think anyone stanning 2011-13 Mix deserves a mulligan, who wouldn't be mesmerized by that hair... some of us didn't learn and fell into the same trap a few years ago with Matias Almeyda :oops:

2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Here might be a right place to admit that on another hand you never quit on Wright. You win some, you lose some.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t personally know if he’s any good. It’s possible they’ve watched him a lot and concluded he’s not any good, but we’ve also had players at big academies called in that weren’t good. I think they probably should give Dettoni a call-up at some point. Let him test himself against the other options, and if then the assessment is that he’s not good enough then no one can say anymore that he wasn’t given a chance.

Pl@ymaker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are millions of US eligible fetuses (feti?) that US Soccer has failed to contact.

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  6. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    A slot needs to be held for him in Qatar, and we can only hope he accepts a call up so he can be cap tied. This is crazy! A kid in the U17 at Bayern and we aren’t
    contacting him! We need to send him flowers, cards, net messages!!!! We havwe to stroke his ego, What are we doing here!!!!!!

7. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a dual nat with USA and Italy, I’m not too worried. I’ve seen full matches of Grayson, still a pretty raw player and especially could use some work on the ball but seeing the current CB’s that are being called in for the 05’s I’m surprised that he isn’t one of them

8. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Grayson’s case ties in nicely to the topic of this thread—and to my other threads on YNT scouting and team selection. We were discussing in the team selection thread the number of YNT scouts we have in Europe. Even if we have only one, how has that person not made contact with Dettoni? He’s had a thread on BigSoccer for ALMOST 6 YEARS. And it’s not like there’s any question of whether he’s American or eligible to represent the US. Seems kind of mystifying that he hasn’t heard from USSF at all.

9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isn’t a scout’s job to do outreach generally unless they’re also in charge of recruitment which they aren’t for ussoccer generally. That job should be done by the coach of that age group who’s job is generally to do the player management and outreach

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Therein lies the problem. We have no full time U-18 coach or team right now.

11. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Lol.

12. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Crazy how people learn nothing. Decades and learn nothing,
    Stunning.

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we need an under 18 coach though? There hadn't been a fixture since 2018.

Couldn't their responsibilities be handled by our U17, U19 and U20 coaches?

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We don’t have one, but I think there should be one. Why shouldn’t we have a U-18 team?

15. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I don't disagree, necessarily. But, fortunately, the current importance of the youth teams is pretty low.

There was a time when we were heavily reliant on our youth program to replace the entire player pool in a very short time span, but that time seems about over. The youth program still has a major role, but it is nowhere near as crucial as it was over this last decade or so.

Berhalter, US Soccer, and the vast infrastructure from MLS on down all deserve a ton of credit for this all coming to fruition with our youth as it has.

16. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    #1191 Maximum Optimal, Jun 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    It is worth noting that most of the players called into the last U19 came are 05s.

The 06s are the players who will be the bulk of the U17 team.

I don't see a big gap here where an age group is being neglected due to a perceived "lack" of U-18 coach. The 05s, judging by the callups for the last U19 camp, are being evaluated and given opportunities. In addition to those called up for the U19 camp, some of the very best ones have been called up to the U20 camps. Several are on the squad called up by Marko Mitrović for a tournament in Spain next week.

Paul Berry repped this.
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. MLS Next doesn't have a U18 division either.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    U-18 NT would be 05’s. U-17 division of MLS Next is 05’s.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The players that suffer are mostly the 04’s, although a few 05’s also. This can’t be spun positively. Someone suffers from having one less team.

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of "how has no one from US Soccer ever made contact with player X"...

Namdynamo, Winoman, Pl@ymaker and 2 others repped this.
  21. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Agree.

The main benefit at this point is dual-national recruitment and getting players into the US Soccer pipeline, but gone are the days where competing in these US Youth teams were critical for development and scouting.

They dual-national recruitment piece is important, but the deeper you go to uncover prospects the smaller the return on investment and the expense to run these programs is not insignificant especially for a federation with a scant budget.

Winoman, largegarlic and TheFalseNine repped this.
  22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The number of American citizens living overseas is somewhere between 3x the population of Wales and 3x the population of Uruguay.

We're not going to be able to keep track of every kid who's a bit good at footy.

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100 - perfection, an impossible standard
    | <-----|
    |
    |
    | Any improvement
    |
    |
    | <-----|
    Status quo
    |
    |
    |

[​IMG]

la torre repped this.
  25. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Yes, with all the American expats it must be hard for US Soccer to track obscure, small clubs like, uh, Bayern Munich.

Namdynamo, zimler, SCSAutism and 3 others repped this.