The current state of our youth national teams

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by xbhaskarx, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    There is discrimination in ALL programs. That’s a point I bring up to them when we discuss it. I try to get them to at least consider attending camps for both options before settling on their choice.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anything this is the best time to be a minority in the YNT system because the racial bias in call ups for players seems to be going away at a very fast rate. But Ussoccer has to do a better job with internal Latino representation to make these players feel welcome

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I think that's a good example that some parents will find any excuse to bitch about. Just tell them to skip USA camps and go to their parents favourite NTs camps. They will be for rude awakening.

4. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    It does seem like there are healthy doses of latin players in our youth national teams (at least on the men's side).

5. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Of all the ridiculous statements we see on here, this could be the most ridiculous I’ve seen.

I’ll leave it at that.

SUDano and Pegasus repped this.
  6. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to remember some reports of players being mistreated in the Mexican camps for being American. If anything I'd expect it to be worse there based on reputation.

On a tangent, it's interesting how often we focus on dual nats belonging to multiple national teams when, when you often hear a scenario like this from the individual's perspective, they'll more feel like they belong nowhere than in multiple places. In Mexican they're American, and in America they're Mexican.

ussoccer97531, gogorath and USSoccerNova repped this.
  7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Along those same lines our young one are raised and bred in the USA, like Pulisic, Sargent, Adams, Richards, Mckenney, Steffen, that is 6 of our sure bet starters. Dest grew up in the Netherlands, Brooks, Germany. Not bad, USA teaching is progressing.

8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Most Mexican American kids feel Mexican till they try to live in Mexico, then they realize that they are just regular Americans living in the strange land. And that's not just Mexican Americans, but most of the second generation Americans.

9. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mexico monitoring Frankie Amaya as well

10. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    gonna be wild when el tri sports a plurality of usa developed talents. the meltdown will be exceptional.

11. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    There’s a term to refer to kids like that; Third Culture Kids. Not really at home in either environment. You have to figure out what home means to you. I’ll never fault a kid for picking Mexico, it’s never an easy choice.

TimB4Last repped this.
  12. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s been almost two years since the creation of this thread, and I’ll admit I was as doom and gloom as the rest of the posters here but after a year I’m pretty sure we all agree the USSF is doing everything right with dual nationals? Dest, Perea, Johnny, pushing for Musah and reported continuous contact with Balogun and Sanogo. As well as probably countless others behind the scenes. Credit where credit is due, we’ll done Berhalter and Co.

SCSAutism, Pegasus, TarHeels17 and 4 others repped this.
  13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not a great sign for, say, the U16 and U19 programs at the very least.

EXALIFTIN, xbhaskarx and largegarlic repped this.
  14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just need some of their sponsors to step forward (maybe for a future discount?).

15. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I think we get that Americans can have any ancestry from around the world.
    Don't we?

Thundering165 repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonathan Gonzalez but the point stands

1371514878779854856 is not a valid tweet id

There has been a sea change in how US Soccer recruits....

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #792 xbhaskarx, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021

Plenty were in this thread, arguing that it wasn’t a big deal and that nothing needed to change... now that there has been a sea change in how USSoccer recruits dual nationals, those same people celebrate the subsequent positive results, while completely glossing over their earlier opposition to the changes that made it happen... and don’t expect most to even get defensive about it as that would require a level of self-awareness! [emoji23][emoji23]

yurch10, USSoccerNova and EXALIFTIN repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Everyone is aware that Charlie Kennan left twitter, but the FutureUSMNT account also left. It's been a week or two and that guy's account has been completely gone. Thats two of the best accounts about young American players that were deleted in the span of a few months. I say this half-jokingly, but some of you guys need to start some accounts to make up for all of the content thats being lost.

SCSAutism and xbhaskarx repped this.
  20. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't that @ShaftBrewer? Or is Shaft USMNTVideos?

It matters but it also shouldn't. This stuff will dip up and down as long as it's carried on the back of a few college kids. Post-college life doesn't really allow for the free time of cutting up that many videos.

Thundering165 repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's USMNTVideos.

22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could be fake but there is an account that claims that FutureUSMNT got suspended (almost certainly for copyright infringement) but is trying to get the account restored.

https://twitter.com/FutureUsmnt2

23. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not wrong. I’d love to have more well informed voices on twitter from here. Twitter has a lot of people who get attention who don’t have close to the knowledge that many people on here do

24. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta say, it's getting harder and harder to care about the youth national teams, and I don't think that's going to change. As someone who used to really enjoy watching these teams, seeing repetitive failure due to performances capped by talent being removed from these teams and a general nonchalance from the federation towards winning, I think my focus will start to shift away from these teams.

The last two teams I really enjoyed, and I think this goes for everyone else, were the '00 U17 cycle and the Tab U20 teams, and unfortunately I'm not sure how replicable either will be in the future.

The 02s were probably less talented in their U17 cycle than the 00s, but they were just so disjointed due to their lack of familiarity/Bradenton. Even with the talent they did have, it was never that fun to watch. The 00s, however, were just a cohesive unit that was so visually appealing. The Tab U20s were the same thing. Those were tournament teams that knew how to win. That, and they weren't missing too many players.

With the way coaches are being selected at the moment and how few players are being allowed to play in the U23 team, it's just too demoralizing to put any stock into it. If the national teams are the government and club play are the private companies, then each year American soccer gets more and more privatized, and these little fun government programs we've enjoyed will become more and more marginalized.

It's probably a good thing for the program in the long run (although I agree that these repeated failures maintain the programs distinct stench right now), so I'm not going to get worked up about it, but it does make me sad. I think that things like the MLS Next U19 championship, and perhaps even the U23 league, will just become more interesting to us.

25. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough to really get a handle on the future of the program until the pandemic money clears. How many coaches are remaining because they can't be bought out/won't leave, how many scouts are willing/can travel to different areas. Murky is probably the best I could come up with. In the short term, everything has to better.