The current state of our youth national teams

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by xbhaskarx, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Given the size of coaching contracts, I expect that McBride would be the one to take this to board, but there's no way a decision of this level is purely McBride's.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  2. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I've thought this before too. I might have preferred someone from outside US soccer to come in with a fresh eye and revamp things top to bottom, but it's hard to argue that it isn't better having people like Stewart and McBride making decisions instead of Gulati and Flynn. It seems like the election was really about the USMNT veterans from the late 90s/early 00s, now in their 40s and 50s, taking control of things.

gogorath repped this.
  3. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    No mention here of Segares' hiring as U15 head coach yet. We now have U15, U17, U20, and U23 head coaches in place on the boys side.

4. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U17 coach is not confirmed. It is rumored to be Larry Sunderland but FC Cinci is pushing back

don Lamb repped this.
  5. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Checking in.....

Has the mood changed at all for the disgruntled fans? A lot of positive develops have been going on over the last few weeks, capped off today with surprise starts for Ferreira and Llanez. Especially since Llanez is one of the "Oh no, we haven't been talking to him!!" players, I'm curious if some people are starting to feel a little better about the direction the program is going?

USSoccerNova repped this.
  6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    it is just like a USSF fan to crow over a friendly win with neither team having a full squad or a lot of desire in this game.

we saw this early on in 2019 too.

don’t you think you should wait until we see how the various teams do? Let’s see how the u23 do in Olympic qualifications and how the younger teams do. The last meaningful result was a poor u17 despite having Reyna.

7. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    #732 bpet15, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    I have made my opinion very well known what I think of our Fed and their programs. Even so, I can admit there was a genuine interest on my part today. I don’t think it had anything to do with Berhalter or the system he wants to play, but had everything to do with seeing different faces, many of them young.

I also liked the fact we weren’t stuck playing a certain style today. We played football. When we needed to keep it, we did. When we needed to be direct, we were. It was almost if the Manager let his players play the game.

I am not ready to anoint the MNT as future World Cup champions, but there were some positives to take away from today.

8. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    This January camp was night and day compared to the 2019 camp when Djordje Mihailovic was the one young player who played. And I'm not sure anyone is/was all that excited about Mihailovic. This game featured Llanez, Ferreia, Aaronson, Vines, Cappis, McKenzie, and Servania. There was another "Why isn't EGG calling him?!?!" teenage dual national on the bench, too, in Araujo.

Also, I'm not just talking about this camp. The youth squads obviously haven't lost a beat despite the gnashing of teeth over the lack of coaches for an admittedly long period. Hudson's U20s had a camp and beat and tied Mexico 2-0 and 2-2, which has not been mentioned here (maybe because this thread was set up solely as a bitch fest).

9. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Did anyone catch the halftime interview with Brian Mc Bride? I wasn't paying attention but I think he talked about changing the culture and getting teams to release players to go to Europe, but it would be a difficult mentality switch. At least I think that is what I heard.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I thought they were talking about releasing players for the Olympics.

kinznk repped this.
  11. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Like I said, I wasn't paying complete attention. I'm not surprised I missed the point.

12. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    I can be critical of the federation, but this was the right thing to do - even if it was long overdue. Jay simply could not remain in the organization. Hopefully the youth program will be run in a more functional way now.

If Earnie and Brian make mistakes now, it will not be because Jay was sandbagging them. It will be their mistakes to own.

Right move.

13. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Does this mean that we can strike nepotism from the list of ways that US Soccer is corrupt?

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Let's not be hasty ...

dougtee and don Lamb repped this.
  15. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Just because his brother is leaving now, does not mean nepotism never played a role in Gregg's hiring. You will not be able to strike that until Gregg leaves really. It will be a talking point.

Jay not being CEO or acting CEO or de facto CEO, does mean any decision to keep Gregg going forward does not seem like nepotism.

sXeWesley and TimB4Last repped this.
  16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    going forward, it’s not nepotism.

totally different than looking backwards at the hiring process.

let me be clear, I never once bought into the Michael / bob bradley nepotism issue - Michael earned his spot (initially!) as far as I’m concerned.

the hiring process of our coach wasn’t great optically even though I was hopefully that Gregg would correct the problems of our last two permanent coaches.

17. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    #742 Peter Bonetti, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...aign=23140&hashid=gQkyRnmzcImx5817_j8UkV2zFdE

This link describes why there really was no functional solution other than to get Jay Berhalter out of the system. Evolution is a messy process and ALL giant bureaucracies are dysfunctional because they change very, very slowly regardless of whether the world around them is changing fast or slow. Dysfunctional people or bad habits can last a lot longer in that kind of environment.

The upper administration simply got exposed by what Brian Sciaretta correctly identified as the six year window where US Soccer failed to develop top players. This fallout has been a long time coming and was very easy to predict as we saw the struggle to qualify for the Olympic Games at the same time that the full national team came to rely more and more on duel national players that had spent most of their lives outside of the US.

The problem with threads like this is that one’s thinking is unconscious, but we react to our unconscious thinking with conscious reactions - creating the illusion that we made conscious decisions. We didn’t.

If I walk into a room in a building and sit in a chair, I didn’t have to problem solve whether or not the roof would collapse on me or whether or not the chair would hold my weight. Those things are handled unconsciously because we wouldn’t be able to function if they weren’t. The unconscious brain is doing all the work and even deciding whether or not to let your consciousness know.

So if someone asked you to pick a number from one to ten, brain research shows activity in the conscious part of the brain takes place .03 seconds before you say your choice, but activity takes place in the unconscious part of the brain .06 seconds before you say your choice. You didn’t consciously choose. Your unconscious brain chose and decided to let your consciousness in on it!

It is impossible to understand your own thinking when you are in argument mode - communicating for the purpose of “winning” a disagreement verbally. It is impossible because the only way to understand the unconscious assumptions of your unconscious brain is to listen to the reactions of others to what you say and then attempt to reverse engineer what assumptions your unconscious brain must have made. This a tedious, difficult process in the best of situations, but if you have already made an overarching assumption that you are right or that you are smarter or something of that ilk, it is impossible to accurately reverse engineer your thinking. You will always conclude what is convenient to conclude and ignore the details that are inconvenient to notice. Part of reality will always support your assumptions, regardless of how wrong you are and, because your assumptions are unconscious you don’t have to even acknowledge that you made them!

Our lack of understanding about our own thinking is what sustains these argument based threads. That is why I refuse to get sucked into point-counterpoint arguments. People who look to sustain these kinds of “discussions” are looking for a distraction and the harder they double down and argue, the more they are in need of a distraction. Sometimes you can read someone’s posts and figure out what they are trying to distract them self or others from but, in the end, it doesn’t really matter. What matters is that they have crossed a line that feeling like they “won” the discussion is more important than finding the truth and a person who has made that choice will suck the life out of anybody trying to make a difference.

As you might tell, I have studied this topic extensively during my life. This post is not for the point-counterpoint posters who already cherry-picked which facts they are going to cling to and which facts they are going to ignore a long, long time ago. This is for the posters that want to seek the truth, but still find themselves getting sucked into arguments. If it helps just one poster, it was worth the effort.

TimB4Last and jeff_adams repped this.
  18. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    1236114955637788673 is not a valid tweet id

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    If I understand @Peter Bonetti correctly, above, every poster here - whether consciously, subconsciously or unconsciously - knows that I'm right.* They just may not consciously comprehend exactly why I'm right.*

++++++++++++

* I'm feeling just a bit insecure today for some reason, so make that always right.

20. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Kind of expected someone to have bumped this thread by now, given recent developments.

I guess I will since my current telework in mind numbingly boring:

U.S. Soccer is shuttering most of its youth national teams until at least 2021 - sources

https://sports.yahoo.com/us-soccer-...ms-until-at-least-2021-sources-162220470.html

snip:

The decision impacts nine national teams on both the men’s and women’s sides. Only the under-17 and U-20 programs will continue for the women, as will the men’s U-17, U-20 and U-23 teams.

TimB4Last repped this.
  21. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Not really directly YNT but Tab is opening up concerning the shuttering of the DA:

SA: What was your reaction to U.S. Soccer pulling out of the DA?

TAB RAMOS: I was surprised. The girls academy had just started and was not going well at all. I think that the boys were affected by that. Internally for the last couple of years the DA had become a mess, it was hard to say who the leader was. Decisions were random and you never knew where they came from. The timing of this decision shows the complete lack of experience in this space. This is the time of year when clubs have to panic about where they're playing next season.

All the parents are wondering what is happening and what it means. They worry about where their kids will play, etc. It was a very quick "we are done, good bye." Some clubs put their own existence on the line to follow the DA, they were owed much more. A decision such as this has to be made either a year in advance or at the very latest in December of the year before with the proper guidance on what is next.

And it wasn't just the clubs. It also left coaches on the street. Coaches who spent thousands on their coaching education to be part of the DA. Obviously, it's important for any coach to be as educated as possible because that helps you to become a better coach, but it's hard to recover your investment coaching youth soccer. Licenses are very expensive.

https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...aign=23718&hashid=c76PGLjbkINIQwG65Tg1t2M1xZk

majspike, TimB4Last, kinznk and 3 others repped this.
  22. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Look, bureaucracies are necessary for minimal standards and rules, but you simply can’t rely on them for leadership. That isn’t what they can do in any sustainable way. We are lucky that US Soccer got the DA ball rolling at all. We are better off to have them out of the picture - now the proverbial ball has been passed to the more natural leaders of MLS and USL - the people who should be in charge anyway.

I agree that this was done poorly, but we are better off for the federation getting out of the picture. We can now shed the unnatural, US Soccer structure and work to begin a new structure led by the very clubs that the players are being developed for. THAT structure is what we always needed anyway.

The poor transition just reminds us of the nature of a bureaucracy. I, for one, am grateful that US Soccer is out of the DA picture.

23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    If US Soccer was really spending $12M/year on the DA ... one, that seems insane unless they were subsidizing teams. And two, I completely understand the cut. I think the permanent nature of it was perhaps rash, but it might have been hanging on by a thread anyway. Perhaps they were going to announce the closure with a one year lead time and lost that to COVID. Perhaps not.

But I still think this was money driven more than anything. The vast majority of US Soccer revenue comes from national team games, media deal and sponsorship. The rest is from dues of leagues/orgs that might not be collecting due this year. Choices were going to have to be made.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  24. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    I think this is the elephant in the room. In today's culture you must be equal. The DA had to have a girls program because it is considered unequal. If the girls program is an albatross and have to cut the girls program the boys program has to be cut as well.

Peter Bonetti and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why? Does Brazil or Argentina put equal money into their women’s program?

I’m not suggesting to not have a woman’s program, but there is no country that puts equal money into their woman’s program. Why does this country have to do so?