The current state of our youth national teams

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by xbhaskarx, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    the players who won those World Cup titles are suing the Federation so one would have to believe that the federation deserves more credit than the players to assert that the Federation deserves much credit for the WWC.

2. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think certain posters are disseminating by focusing on an extremely pedantic interpretation of USSF criticism: herein it’s the words “completely disfunctional” such that any evidence of functional behavior negates the premise of extreme mismanagement.

I’m sure that many of the NFL coaches justifiably fired today didn’t do everything completely wrong. Even if that’s not the bar for high level coaches or senior executives, it makes for a pithy retort when arguing heavy criticism isn’t warranted because USSF executives were able to metaphorically tie their shoes each morning.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    From the inbox, a comparatively small YNT musical chairs note from NCFC re: Mike McGinty:

McGinty, who most recently served as goalkeeping coach with the U.S. at the 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup, joins John Bradford (assistant coach) and Nic Platter (goalkeeping coach) on head coach Dave Sarachan’s staff. ​

4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    This is not even close to an appropriate analogy.

The comment was that the federation was completely dysfunctional.

It’s impossible to be completely dysfunctional and win back to back World Cup titles.

5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It counts to me.

More relevant to the discussion, it’s an important goal of the federation.

6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Perhaps. Perhaps not. The rest of the work was going to start to catch up eventually.

But my point is not that the federation is doing everything right.

It’s that it’s impossible for it to be completely dysfunctional and win back to back world cups.

7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Why do you always go to the ridiculous assumption that anyone that disagrees with you is in some way paid?

How incredibly arrogant is that? That you are sooooo right that no one could conceivably honestly disagree?

Furthermore, i made no comments on Bradley our ynt coaches here.

Simply that it’s hard to call a federation completely dysfunctional when it has back to back World Cup wins.

There were a couple of tweets saying we’d see youth team coaches in January. They are slow, but I’m curious to see if the quality of hire is worth the wait. Perhaps, perhaps not.

8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Why do you always go to the ridiculous assumption that anyone that disagrees with you is in some way paid?

How incredibly arrogant is that? That you are sooooo right that no one could conceivably honestly disagree?

Simply that it’s hard to call a federation completely dysfunctional when it has back to back World Cup wins.

There were a couple of tweets saying we’d see youth team coaches in January. They are slow, but I’m curious to see if the quality of hire is worth the wait. Perhaps, perhaps not.

9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019

10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    BS pedantry at its finest here. Focus on the adverb “completely” and “completely” miss the forest for the trees. LOL

11. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Before all is said and done, this thread may become another Adu thread - both in terms of size and volatility.

Remember the Adu thread? There were some posters who logged on for years only to post in the Adu thread and then stopped posting when his career petered out.

i think this thread has more potential for dysfunction than even the Carleton thread. Time for me to step away for a while. I never did see much value once a thread embraces the point/counterpoint approach.

Best of luck to everyone. Enjoy!

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  12. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    You were the wrong one to quote probably, sorry.

But on this thread, defending a total lack of YNT coaches on either gender side is flabergasting. Why would anyone defend it?

Defending a complete lack of YNT coaches by pointing to the success of one senior team (ignoring the historic failure of the other), is disingenuous at best.

Defending Gregg using Zardes or Bradley are examples of unpopular positions around here that at least someone can understand. Defending cleaning house of all YNTs coaches, when some were pretty successful, and leaving the entire program devoid of coaches for a year in some cases, some longer, is just not in the same ballpark. That was my only point about that.

Defending the USSF on this is just a marker that you will never criticize the USSF for anything. That it is always right and everything is just fine. The Kevin Bacon character at the end of Animal House comes to mind...

Like hiring Gregg, I doubt the wait will be worth it. Most likely, they could have been hired long ago or the equivalent coach could have been.

13. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Impossible. :)

14. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ussoccer does do good things (yesterday’s roster and the DA for example). But the downside of the social media area is that every flaw has been shown and brutally blown out of proportion. The worst thing ussoccer has going for them in the next decade is a fan base who can’t be pleased no matter what they do.

don Lamb repped this.
  15. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    The fan base is an enormous elephant in the room....

Cringe worthy is probably the best way to describe American Outlaws. We complain about the lack of Hispanic representation in US Soccer, but how inclusive is American Outlaws? How has there not been a second fan group (third, if Sam's Army is still active) created that is geared toward latinos and a more authentic cultural experience around the game?

16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Why are we using apartheid for fan groups? Is the next step a fan group for Catholics?

I've seen all types and genders in the AO section.

The fan displeasure mirrors the federation dysfunction and poor play of the team. It is no different than Mets fans or Redskins fans. Qualify for the World Cup, do the basic jobs of a Federation well and in a timely manner, include the fans in the culture. You can't gouge your customers and put a crappy product on the field and expect people to be happy.

neems and STANDFAST repped this.
  17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    you think the fan base is more of a problem than management? Yikes.

18. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    #643 don Lamb, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    I mean.... shouldn't we be able to handle two supporters groups for our national team? I'm not talking about making them about segregation or religion in any sense. It is a simple fact that our fan base needs a serious boost.

Fan frustration, displeasure, and negativity are completely understood because our program has been straight dog shit for the last several years. However, I feel that there is a much broader, more accurate picture that shows at least a lot of promise.

Here's to that in 2020....

19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread should peter out when the USYNTs have actual full time coaches in place, right? And that has to happen (supposedly as soon as January according to US Soccer’s tweet) eventually, right??

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I feel pretty confident we'll be able to transition from criticizing US Soccer to criticizing the coaches they hire.

And score one for the young ladies, apparently:

"Next US U-18 camp (January 21-Feb 1) will feature a four-team tournament in Florida with China, Norway, and the Netherlands participating. Laura Harvey will coach."

Bob Morocco and don Lamb repped this.
  21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Harvey is a guest coach. She will not be permanent. After months, they still need to call in substitute teachers.

22. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Laura Harvey is a great "substitute teacher" for this camp. Do you think coaches like her are usually chomping at the bit for U18 international team positions?

Why is there is such an infatuation and so much outrage with the ynt staff situation? These are not glamorous positions, and most don't even need to be full time due to sporadic activity for that team. As long as the players are given opportunities to wear the jersey, that's 90% of what matters -- specific coaches rarely add much to youth international football.

23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    because hiring staff is a simple sign of bare competence. To have a system with barely any coaches system wide speaks loudly.

furthermore, the difference in success or failure is in the last 1-2% for sport programs so getting to 90% isn’t something to be blasé about.

24. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Maybe it is more interesting to ask why everyone is outraged except you.

25. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Fans often operate in an echo chamber, so I don't ever simply go with the common perception without thinking critically first when it comes to my opinions.