The Current Situation

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Apr 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Actually, two more things:

- Who the hell are we supposed to be able to beat? Toronto? Great. We don't play them until September.

- That 40 point playoff cutoff rule of thumb I've been using is just that: a rule of thumb. It's been true the last three seasons. But for all anyone knows, it'll take more than 40 points this year. A 45 point cutoff is totally possible. I will say this much, however: I'm 100% certain the cutoff won't be anything less than about 40 points. In other words, what I'm talking about here is the best case scenario with the lowest bar that I think is reasonably possible.

2. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC
    And just for kicks and giggles our playoff chances are now at 4.8%.

3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    With the exception of Moreno and maybe Jackovic, there isn't one person involved with this team that I wouldn't happily ship off for draft picks.

Having said that, next game is against Slump Busters FC. This is where the season turns around. Woo!

4. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    So you're saying there's still a chance...

5. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would keep Najar, too.

6. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    really, my view and guess is zero.

4.8% to win 5 games

7. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    agreed

8. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    DC would need 16 points for the season to avoid becoming the worst team ever. Just sayin'.

9. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    or gets buried :D

10. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i don't see it happening

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we playing ourselves? Or are you talking about the FC Dallas game? If you are talking about Dallas, they have WAY more talent than we do. They just finished outplaying the Red Bulls by a very large margin in Jersey but losing because Bouna Coundoul stood on his head all game long. Our keeper would have given up 4 or 5 goals against the pressure that Bouna saw last night.

12. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to be so damn pessimistic but I've gotta agree. I've been watching the rest of the League on Direct Kick and it looks like the whole League except Toronto and DC upgraded over the off season. There is a lot of good young very fast talent this year.

13. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Who's brilliant idea was it to sign Dejan Jakovic? The fact that he's Canadian might have been a huge warning signal.

14. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any particular reason your specifically ridiculing Jakovic and not say Talley or James who have arguably been worse.

15. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Stupid red card against Philly. Bad marking against New England. Cost us the game. Oh yeah, and he's Canadian

I'm blaming the stadium situation on him too

16. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    What about the KC team that won MLS Cup?

17. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    I want to say Miklos Molnar had 14 goals and Chris Henderson had the same number of assists(?). For some reason that sticks in my head. I remember saying that it was the first perfect one-two punch in the league outside of Etcheverry and Moreno/RDA

Of course, the reason that team won MLS Cup was because Tony "The Donut" Meola - still the greatest GK in MLS history - played out of his mind!

18. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    That KC won more because of defense, and Meola, than offense which is why it stuck out in my mind. They epitomized the old 1-Nil to the Arsenal chant.

19. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bomb Canada!

20. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Molnar had 12 goals in 17 regular season games and then 5 in 6 playoff games. The Wizards were undefeated in games where he scored.

21. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Wow...

Getting 1.5 points per game (basically winning every other match from here on out) would only get us to 39 points.

Getting 1.75 points per game would get us to 45 points. (Over a full season, that's a 52 point pace!)

We're screwed.

22. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    The next league game is against the New York/New Jersey MetroStars.

For generations, whenever DC United has needed to purge itself of bad mojo, NY has been the colonic treatment. The turnaround begins on May Day. Book it.

23. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    I don't think so. I think it's just going to be another level of humiliation, depression, and hopelessness.

This is the most disgusting and boring I've ever found DC United as a fan. (The Wrongen/Hudson era was disgusting, but not boring.) At this point, there's really not much to say about the team and its tactics. They're clearly terribly coached. They're clearly undertalented. And the front office, who are responsible for the coach and roster, are clearly incompetent.

I think we're a lot like the Galaxy under Yallop and Gullit, but without Donovan or Beckham. Those teams sucked, by the way. That glorious era ended after Gullit's team managed a 7 game winless streak in 2008, which culminated in Gullit's resignation and Arena's hiring. Arena started out with Gullit's terrible roster (and he's still overhauling it), but he did at least get the crappy players he inherited playing more disciplined, effective soccer.

I've begun to hope Payne really is aiming to hire Bob Bradley after the World Cup, because that's the type of change this team needs. Then again, I know that's not going to happen. That's just not what KP does. He doesn't make good, bold decisions. So, unless Will Chang steps in and rings some changes, this team is going to suck for the foreseeable future.

24. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Many things need to improve out of our team. Guys like Perkins, Pontius, Castillo, Jakovic all need to improve. Perkins hasnt been having a good year, Castillos hype and videos of his dribbling have yet to be shown to be the same player we have with us now. He looks like a scared kid out there, I have yet to see him do any step overs, or any quick plays. Jakovic has been a disappointment compared to how well he was for us last season. Pontius too, hasnt been the same player that started off the year with a bang. I hope he doesnt turn out like burch, and same goes with Wallace.

Also to that list is moreno. He looks tired, frustrated, and not able to tie things together anymore by himself. I said it in the post match thread for the fire game, but i will say it again. We need a central midfielder, with experience, speed, dribbling, and holding not to mention the ability to tie us all together. Our team needs a veteran, but with still some left in the tank. Moreno can't do it anymore, Allsopp has potential but needs better service.

Just 1 good central midfeilder signing could light a fire under all our underachievers asses and get us moving. Thats what I think we need right now, cause the team now plays with no motivation, and look frustrated and refusing to play dynamic.

25. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    With the new CBA, are all these contracts guaranteed on opening day? If not, it should just be a complete rebuild and start shipping players. Cut or trade, don't care. Get draft picks and cap space to make moves in the FA market. Build for the future, the present is dead. Get some more cheap-ish CA/SA talent, throw it up against the wall and see what sticks. Uncover some gems by seeing what's out there.

Thx,

Jay!