The cup draw thread.

Discussion in 'Olympique de Marseille' started by prvev, Dec 20, 2007.

1. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Champions League group stage draw in about half an hour. Well, after the unnecessary crap UEFA always makes us wait through, anyway.

Premier chapeau :
    1 Barcelone 121.853
    2 Liverpool 118.899
    3 Chelsea 118.899
    4 Manchester United 111.899
    5 Milan AC 110.582
    6 Arsenal 106.899
    7 Seville 100.853
    8 Bayern Munich 98.339

Deuxième chapeau :
    9 OL 91.033
    10 Inter Milan 87.582
    11 Real Madrid 78.853
    12 CSKA Moscou 71.525
    13 FC Porto 68.292
    14 Alkmaar 64.826
    15 Juventus 63.582
    16 Glasgow Rangers 56.575

Troisième chapeau :
    17 Olympiacos 52.633
    18 OM 48.033
    19 Dynamo Kiev 46.370
    20 Stuttgart 45.339
    21 Fiorentina 42.582
    22 Atlético Madrid 41.853
    23 Bordeaux 40.033
    24 Besiktas 32.445

Quatrieme chapeau :
    25 Wolfsburg 21.339
    26 Standard de Liège 21.065
    27 Maccabi Haifa 17.050
    28 Zurich 14.050
    29 Rubin Kazan 9.525
    30 Unirea Urziceni 8.781
    31 APOEL Nicosie 4.016
    32 Debrecen 1.633

For those unaware. So, of the teams from the three other pots, the only one we can't draw is Lyon.

2. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ********ing hell.

Milan
    Madrid
    Marseille
    Zurich

3. OMGUNNER21

OMGUNNER21 New Member

Aug 9, 2009
    cincinnati
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was really hoping to get into group H with arsenal because that would have been easier to get through but hopefully deschamps can work his magic like he did with monaco and get us a second place finish.

4. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It's not Group G with Stuttgart, Rangers, Sevilla and Unirea but I don't think it's impossible. I'm thinking if we can take care of business against Zurich and pull 4 pts from Milan (which I don't think is beyond reason) there's your 10 pts right there. 2nd place would be fine enough for me. Who knows maybe this Galactico thing will fail, alright, now I'm being delusional. Alez L'OM!!!!

5. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mardi 15 septembre : OM-Milan AC
    Mercredi 30 septembre : Real Madrid-OM
    Mercredi 21 octobre : Zurich-OM
    Mardi 03 novembre : OM-Zurich
    Mercredi 25 novembre : Milan AC-OM
    Mardi 08 décembre : OM-Real Madrid

The first match is huge.

6. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    This should be the ultimate challenge for the players. It's there for the taking.

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Thanks god for the Velodrome crowd. Hopefully they can help steal 3 pts at home vs either ACM or RM.

8. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    we are ********ed, i hope the summer recruitment's have CL mentality, otherwise OM will be overwhelmed

9. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    By what? I think Real will be a beast, otherwise I don't think it's as bad as it might look on paper. I don't see Zurich being much of a problem and I find AC Milan to be hugely overrated this season based on their first match (which they hardly dominated). I'd take AC Milan in my group over Inter and Juve and possibly even Fiorentina this year.

10. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    +1

One thing we have to remember, this is a rebuilding year for L'OM. New players and a new philosophy. It will take time for L'OM to be the King of the mountain. They will have to cut their teeth a bit.

11. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    On paper the draw looks really rough for you guys, but anything can happen on the pitch. If OM can hold down the fort at home (at least prevent those pesky away goals), and if Milan or Real are having an off day when OM play them away, qualification is definitely feasible. Don't forget that Lille beat Milan in the San Siro a couple of years ago, and Real definitely know what its like to lose to a French team (they had galacticos back then, too).

12. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Even getting 6 pts. vs Zurich will be difficult. If they dont get 6 pts from them then they have no chance of finishing 2nd. Even if they finish 3rd and get the Europa spot, its not too exciting considering how French teams treat that competition which is to say not very seriously.

13. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Anyone still fearing Milan?? The club is in shambles. Gattusso "hurts" himself and then proceeds to nearly murder Sneider despite being "injured". In the process he picks up his 2nd yellow and then blows up on the new coach (Berlusconi's puppet) Leonardo screaming at him all the way from the pitch to the locker room because he didn't substitute him quickly enough. By the way this all took place in the first half of the match. I might be a bit more concerned about FC Zurich at this point than Milan.

14. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Milan's roster on paper is still pretty good though.

15. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I know I'm biased (pro-Marseille and just as much anti-Me-lan) but I don't really see it. I mean Seedorf looks like someone's grandfather on the pitch. I see it being a rough year for them and I felt this way before the CL draw. Their 1st match v. Siena was a dog fight until the last 1/3 of the mach. Yesterday was an abomination. Aside from Pato, no one is really oozing class.

I will say that Marseille haven't been rolling over the opposition but I think today will tell us a lot about this season. And let's not forget that Lucho should be back in action come the 1st matchday.

16. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Pato, Inzaghi, Huntelaar, Ronaldindo in attack is pretty good. Ok maybe their defense is subpar but offensively they are alright.

17. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not trying to turn this into an argument because I agree with you that on paper that is a pretty solid offense. However, Inzaghi and Ronaldinho are certainly not far from being washed up and Huntelaar seems to be a guy who has a ton of potential but hasn't been able to unlock it. I agree that Pato is an excellent player and will probably only get better. Here's hoping that Roman Abromovich busts open the wallet late tomorrow and pries him away from Me-lan. Then I'd put $ on 4 points for L'OM.

I think that after watching the match today that Marseille's defence looks really good right now so if they were able to quiet some of Milan's attack, they should be able to put in a goal or 2 against the poor defence. We will have to wait and see. Also, as I mentioned earlier, Marseille is missing their key man in Lucho so things should only improve. As for Milan this appears to be as good as it's getting.

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i think this may turn out to be the paper tiger group. marseille and madrid (in different registers of course) had big headline splashy transfer summers and have all the pundits agog. but cash outlay and on-field success are not automatically and directly proportional. 200M€ or no, kàkà, c. ronaldo and benzema remain human beings.

i don't see any reason to fawn over milan either. selling off your best player and standing pat with a starting lineup average age over 30 is no more guarantee of success than checkbook management. the appearance is that italy is leaving the company of spain and england for the more mundane comradeship of germany and france. hoping for an eventual coming of age of pato or renaissance of ronaldinho is fine for an objective of finishing 10 points behind inter but no reason for OM to get an inferiority complex.

but as for OM forgive me for expressing doubts about a team that brings in 8 new bodies and still fields edouard cissé and matthieu valbuena in their first important match of the year! one runs and runs, the other stands and stands, and in the end it all comes to the same thing.

19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    edouard cissé will be a backup before all is said and done. He's not the problem. The problem is Ben Arfa because he doesnt play like his friends Benzema and Nasri. Those 2 have blown right past him and if was playing like them like he's supposed to then OM would be in better shape. Valbuena should replace him if he continues to fail to impress.

20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    a PSG blogger contributed this to the CdF recently (my translation):

By his own admission, Édouard Cissé can neither attack nor defend. His preferred position is therefore in midfield, backed up by a feisty n°6 to take care of winning the ball and surrounded by creative playmakers to run the offense... in this formation you can almost forget that Édouard Cissé is totally useless, and you can even reach a Champions League final with him.

Édouard Cissé inaugurated the series of rubbery traffic cones placed hapahazardly on the turf of the Parc – even today Grégory Bourillon lights a stick of incense on his altar every morning. PSG supporters can reread with joy, lying tranquilly in a bathtup of salt, articles from the turn of the millenium predicting for the duo Ducrocq-Cissé a future à la Deschamps-Vieira (the author assures us he really read that). To rince the wounds they can think back on that day they hadn't dare hope for: PSG had managed to sell Édouard Cissé, to a real football club (albeit turkish), and for real money – ah! what a day that was!

watching OM-Bordeaux, one can see he wasn't exaggerating!