The Cristiano Ronaldo Thread: Part X. [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by GoodDead, May 2, 2010.

1. umdemelo

umdemelo Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Charm City
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    As far as captains go Ronaldo is no Figo; he doesn't have the same steel or the same 'I'd rather die on the field than lose this game" mentality.

Say what you will about Figo's words and actions before and after games but when the clock started he was an on field general. I also think that it is no coincidence that as far as #7s go Figo somehow always ended up with the ball at his feet whereas Ronaldo spends the games waiting for it to come his way. I understand that coaches tactics play a big part in this but I feel like the character of the players also is a big reason for this. Some guys play to win others to dazzle crowds.

2. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Figo really shouldn't have opened his mouth concerning Ronaldo as captain. How quickly he forgets when he bitched and went straight to the dressing room after being subbed against England in 04.

3. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for me, captains shouldnt be attacking players. I always thought that center backs and strong midfielders made the best captains. its in their mentality

4. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This makes sense as you can see the game ahead of you but you are not a keeper and so a bit isolated, secondly defenders are 'die hards' they are the we will conquer type usually as are the defensive or transition midfielders. You obviously ca have attacking captains, Figo for one, but then he had respect. It might seem superficial but with Figo and he's nearly always worried face, was a bit like a defender, if you are too easy going or individual then you don't get the same support, Figo always looked serious even with his mistakes, this I like!

CARVALHO COME ON IT IS OBVIOUS!

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I guess the FPF wasn't impressed with Ronaldo as a captain....

Bruno Alves a capitão

Bruno Alves deverá substituir Cristiano Ronaldo como capitão da Selecção Nacional já a partir da fase de qualificação para o Euro'2012, que começa a 3 de Setembro, com a recepção a Chipre, em jogo que se irá disputar em Guimarães. O JOGO sabe que o comportamento do craque do Real Madrid durante o Mundial não agradou nada aos responsáveis da Federação, Carlos Queiroz incluído, pelo que se prepara uma alteração no dono da braçadeira da equipa das quinas.

http://www.ojogo.pt/26-183/Artigo872564.asp

6. umdemelo

umdemelo Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Charm City
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Whatever, Ronaldo will never be half the captain Figo was. Figo storms off the field because of his intensity, Ronaldo storms off the field because he didn't get enough camera time.

Good choice, talented and intense. He should have been captain from the beginning.

7. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I agree. He can captain for 6 more years until he retires.

I know a lot of people think Bruno Alves is a hot head waiting to kill players on the field and should be red carded everygame but he proved how good he is in this world cup.
    No stupid fouls, no yellow cards, no shenanigens.... Tough mofo :D He hates to lose as you can see when Porto loses, he goes in rage mode.

8. Figo_7

Figo_7 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziv1hKJ-3xk"]YouTube- Cristiano Ronaldo vs Spain HD World Cup Last 16 Round[/ame]

Ronaldo got plenty of touches on the ball, no excuses, he just did not play well. His best moments were his 1 touch plays, except the one where he heel flicked it back when he could have turned with numbers in front of him.

9. REAL_BOLA

REAL_BOLA New Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Toronto
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ******** Cristiano Ronaldo! I spent the last 3-5 years defending this twerp and this guy has proven me wrong. He is without a doubt the most egotistic son of a b#t*h i have ever seen. I had to favourite athletes i would defend forever, That was Tom Brady of the NFL and this piece of Sh*t ! What a difference in the two, Brady is truly a Champion, the heart of lion and always gives everything every time he play's. This sissy boy makes me want to throw up, and as soon as a mod can tell me how to change my screen name, I'm stuck with this sissy representing me. Help me Mod's I don't want the name CR9_REALMADRID any more. I am embarrassed to have this clown representing my Country of blood, and my club team. Tom Brady, you are King now!

10. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    He's still good for Real Madrid so don't jump off the bandwagon just yet ;)

11. Alexnova

Alexnova Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I still think CQ didn't play Ronaldo appropriatley, and I think that's what made him appear so pissed off after the loss. That and CQ's tactics are rubbish.

12. centparkrun

centparkrun New Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
  13. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Dide, that same exact article could be written with the word Ronaldo replaced by any number of players and it would read the same (but still be unfunny).

Ronaldo has a reputation that precedes him and hurts him every time he steps on the field. If you watched the Spain game, you saw him clipped, push to the ground and not once was it called.

Of course, he also didn't make a huge effort to avoid contact and he played generally like balls in this WC but diving was not nearly the biggest problem.

I've seen diving, play-acting in every single game in this world cup - often from nations that claim the high moral ground - Ozil in the first a game against Australia, Cappedvilla against Portugal, etc...; meanwhile, players with a notorious reputation like Robben fly 10 feet in the air when airbrushed by anybody and he still get the calls.... It's soccer. There is a lot of garbage. What FIFA should do is punish divers with suspensions - that might help a bit.

14. umdemelo

umdemelo Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Charm City
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Part of my problem with Ronaldo, and let's not get this twisted I do think he's an unbelievable talent, is not so much the diving but the unbelievable petulance.

The exaggerated looks of disbelief, the kicking of the ground, rolling of the eyes, flapping of the arms and constant jawing of the referee, It's like watching my 3 year old god-daughter. Anyone here who's played organized sports knows that the fastest way to get a ref against you is to constantly question his calls and try to show him up.

It gets to the point in games where a defender could pull a knife and shank Ronaldo and a ref wouldn't call it because of his behavior during the game up to that point. Smart players keep refs honest but also give enough respect to stay in the refs good books.

Furthermore something that really bothered me this cup was the way Ronaldo was starting to show up his team-mates on the field. I was starting to get the impression that lots of the guys just didn't like playing with him.

15. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    holy ******** Ronaldo got some woman preggers:eek:

16. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lmao ronaldo's twitter account says he has a son now

the mother is unknown

AHAHAHAHAHAH

17. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    hahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sporting better sign him up.

18. Força_Portugal

Jun 10, 2009
    Tri-State Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yea its on his facebook!!! lol

"It is with great joy and emotion that I inform I have recently become father to a baby boy. As agreed with the baby's mother, who prefers to have her identity kept confidential, my son will be under my exclusive guardianship. No further information will be provided on this subject and I request everyone to fully respe...ct my right to privacy (and that of the child) at least on issues as personal as these are."

19. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    She hit the jackpot! She was like yes I did it. Hopefully, this will make Ronaldo little more mature.

20. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    ROFLLFLFLFLLFLFLFLFL. That was probably the funniest news I could've gotten, all day.

21. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So at least Ronaldo can score in other areas....He probably wasn't wearing a Portugal jersey at the time.

22. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Congratulations Ronnie

23. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    So bizarre. He's turning into Jacko.

24. umdemelo

umdemelo Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Charm City
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm kind of surprised this is the first one.

Exclusive guardianship??? I bet the girl is some 17 year old he picked up outside a club in Madrid.

****Correction I just read that the girl is American, too bad it's not Kim Kardasian.

25. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    From L.A I think. Well, she played her cards right. I am not surprised either he said he wanted a kid before he got married.