The Crew Television Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ZipSix, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Perhaps your company will recognize the benefits of allowing employees to work virtually! :)
    Best wishes.

2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    They had a listing for it but it warned the CSR that local teams might be blacked out.

3. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    HD v. SD argument aside, how is this situation different from any other professional league's "league pass" set-up? If you have NFL Sunday Ticket, and the Bengals are one of the local games in your area, they're blacked out on NFL Sunday Ticket because you can get the game locally. The same thing happens with all the other subscriptions, not to mention times when the Reds are supposed to be on ESPN or MLB Network in non nationally-exclusive games (like ESPN Sunday Night Baseball).

4. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if this is really an answer or not.... but I have DirecTV with the Sports Package. Part of that package is NESN which carries Boston Red Sox games (or it did) locally for the New England Market. I tried to watch a game my first year with DirecTV and the game was blacked out for me because I was out of market. They wanted me to buy the MLB package. Same thing with Hockey games.

I know that's a little different, but thought I'd offer it up there.

Mostly just so I could remind y'all that I'm still here..... and see my lovely Kung Fu Panda logo.

5. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference is those channels you mentioned are available on multiple platforms (TW, Uverse, Comcast, streaming, etc). Our games are only on TW.

6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have always been curious what the financial terms were compared to what the last deal was.

8. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    That is true. However, in Krypto's post, he said: "But yeah...if you had the combination of Time Warner (regardless of former Insight or not) with Direct Kick, that channel should not be blacked out..." I was merely pointing out that a locally-available game (in this case on Time Warner for a Time Warner subscriber) is typically not available on a "league pass" channel.

9. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    I would suspect both deals were somewhere in the vicinity of $0.

I don't think The Crew makes much money if at all on these deals, ratings are too low to justify a channel paying more than the bare minimum required for the rights.

That's why for the team it comes down to what the channel can offer as far as exposure.

10. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    then I wonder why we can't get out of the contract then. if we get nothing then let's get out. stick it on youtube.

ZipSix repped this.
  11. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at that point, all of the expenses would be footed by the Crew - cameras, video stream, production staff etc. I don't necessarily know if that is stuff footed by the company with partner with, but if that is the case, that could be a pretty restrictive cost maybe.

12. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I thought it was footed by MLS - the game is on MLS Live no matter what

13. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    In addition to the production issues (someone here has mentioned before that TWC or FSN do produce the games) if you self produce and put it on YouTube you can kiss the sponsorships like Ohio Health goodbye.

Need it to be on cable in some form to appease all of the companies that get airtime and pay The Crew money to do things like advertise on the score on the broadcast.

14. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    yes, you are right, it is impossible.

15. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Damn to the depths whatever man what thought of 'marketing'!!!

[​IMG]

16. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    In the aftermath of announcing the deal, Mark McCullers said the Crew "invests significant money to put games on TV." I need to find the link and more detailed quote, but I remember him saying that or probably tweeting it in his ham-fisted defense of his deal.

17. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
  18. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  19. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Oh yeah, I knew something like that was discussed by them before.

Streaming online would lose a fair amount of revenue (and obviously eyeballs on the product considering most people would still rather watch on cable).

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likely means that the Crew doesn't get paid for the TV rights, so in effect it's an infomercial (they may get a discount, but I'm guessing that's how FSO looked at it and probably TWC too). Now I'm sure that the league requires the home team to provide tv feeds, so it is part of the cost of doing business.

21. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    So the pay to have the cameras and for achannel to broadcast?

22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

23. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Well obviously that is offset by the thousands we get from our partners that want their name splashed over tv screens that nobody even sees

24. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    I don't think it was implied that The Crew pays TWC to put the game on.

As for revenue brought in from the broadcasts I would bet the majority is from MLS via the team's share of MLS Live, Direct Kick, and nationally televised matches. Obviously sponsorships are a small part of it.

25. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about that. The quote seems pretty cut and dry to me.