The Crew Television Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ZipSix, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 ZipSix, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    According to Jardy the Crew's deal with Fox Sports Ohio expired Feb. 2014, and the Crew are looking for a new broadcast TV deal. The two main candidates are re-upping with Fox Sports Ohio or going with a new sports channel created by Time Warner Cable.

It's highly unlikely that many cable providers not named "Time Warner Cable" would provide the TWC Sports channel by the time FirstKick rolls around. Who on this board does not have Time Warner Cable? How will this effect the carriage of Crew matches by DirectKick or MLS Live?

2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    DirecTV (slayer of Cantore) here.

******** TWC.

scornflakes and Flyer Fan repped this.
  3. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have WOW, although I am seriously considering DirecTV.

If the games are only available on TW, my interest in this team will drop considerably due to an inability to watch. I would think I am not alone in that line of thinking.

4. ZipSix

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that you are not alone. If the games are not available people will care less. McCullers needs to not screw this up.

JackCaz, Draghignazzo, cam5fc and 2 others repped this.
  5. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have DirecTV down here in the hinterlands. If they switch to TWC, no way to see the away games aside from MLS Live.

Glad I ended up renewing MLS Live...

6. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears to be available on Directv so wouldn't affect me negatively, but I certainly understand how much it would impact others. The expansion in potential viewers last year with the spread throughout the state and into Michigan was great. Going with TWCSN seems like a bit of a step back.

I understand that the ratings aren't all that great. I also understand that money may be the deciding factor and it is hard to blame them. Not sure where the break even mark would be. If FSN bids $X and reaches Y households, and TWCSN then needs to bid $X+? because they reach only Y-? households.

7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    In the early days home games weren't televised, in order to encourage attendance. Is the team absolutely committed to televising all home games? The other issue is priority. There were times last year when the game wasn't broadcast until the Monday afternoon replay. Fox Sports Ohio gives other sports priority over soccer.

8. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    What about blackouts? When I had mls live I could not watch any crew games live at all because I lived within Columbus or whatever arbitrary geogrpahical delineation they decided upon. If TWC do the same thing then MLS Live is not an option either.

9. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have Time Warner, myself, but if FSO isn't re-upped, I think this is a an immediately firable offense for McCullers. Eliminating 50% or what ever % of potential viewership for a team your boss wants to become the Green Bay of the MLS is unacceptable.

Freddy and AJ repped this.
  10. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I don't know. I only used MLS Live once last year when we went to Pittsburgh to visit family (away vs TFC). I assume I was outside the blackout area for the game being in PA. All the other away games we watched on Fox Sports Ohio on DirecTV.

11. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Can't you just register via one of those services that gives you an IP address in another country?

12. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    if time warner offer more money, and guarantee coverage, and replays without being bumped then it is already a better deal

13. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Actually it has to be an IP in another region of the US. But I should not have to do that as that is breaking the terms and conditions.

14. ZipSix

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. It's not on DirecTV. No satelite provider currently carries this channel. You may be confused because DirecTV carries the Los Angeles based TWC Sports channel, not the Ohio one. Here's a list of what's currently on TWC Sports Ohio:

• Varsity Rivals – Ohio’s high schools have some of the best, long running, football rivals in the country.
    • Game Changers – Each episode takes a look at three different Ohio high school coaching legends.
    • HS Sports Insider – A compilation of the best and brightest high school athletes from across the state.
    • Fantasy Huddle – The ultimate show for NFL fantasy teams and players looking to get an edge.
    • College Gametime – Weekly program that covers college football and basketball.
    • More Sports & Les Levine – Ohio's longest running live sports talk show. Hosted by Les Levine.

This would be a huge problem.

Freddy and scornflakes repped this.
  15. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    You all are slacking.

CrewTV is what is needed.

16. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know whether this channel's on UVerse?

17. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me as another nonTWC customer. And that will be for life.

I'd rather watch sketchy pirate feeds than pay what they ask for MLSlive and that looks like what i'll have to do.

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Speaking of TV companies (yeah, it's OT - wannafightaboutit?): does anyone else find The Weather Channel's histrionics about DTV dropping them absolutely hilarious? I peek in on the main page of the WC's (appropriate acronym, no?) website from time to time to see some video whining about it or some petition drive, etc.

You know what, Weather Channel? Try being what your name describes, rather than a 3rd rate reality show peddler, and for the love of God, stop naming every ********ing snow shower that passes through the country. Weather Nation (DTV's replacement) is a pleasant and informative alternative.

Maybe this belongs in the rant/moan thread.

Jake Folan and CybrSlydr repped this.
  19. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    I will never, ever have TWC in my home again. Absolutely the worst service in every way that I have ever had. I will go back to rabbit ears before I ever let them in again. I currently have WOW but I can forsee the day where I will only have them for wi/fi.

If the Crew are only on TWC I will not be watching them.

Freddy repped this.
  20. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Left TWC the minute WOW was available. Not real happy WOW took Fox Soccer off my plan and now wants me to buy super upgraded package, but I will not go back to TWC regardless. If Crew aren't availabel on WOW, I will watch very few games as a result lose some interest and ultimately attend fewer games in person.

I agree this seems to be a deal that would be a McCullers responsibility. If he can't work it out to where we can all get games regardless of cable provider AND make it financially benficial to Crew - he should defnitely lose his job. Especially since he has made about 1% progress on stadium naming rights.

The consensus is clear here on this board - someone Tweet Precourt and tell him how we all feel.

Freddy repped this.
  21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that now that Fox got all of the Cleveland stuff by buying STO, soccer is just a niche sport to them and not that valuable. Sure, they'd take it--but on tape delay most times at best and for little $$$.

And I'm frustrated with all of the contract nonsense pitting the rich cable companies vs the rich networks. In particular, Gol TV (though they are not rich). It's a sports channel with most of the sports in English yet it gets bounced around like a tennis ball at Wimbelton--currently to the hispanic packageges--if it's even still on. Can't cost *that* much.

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are assuming any sports channel *wants* the product. I fear the market isn't that good, which is one reason it hasn't been easy to get a good setup. And the market for the Reds and Tribe is a lot better and pays more (ad-wise).

23. pjguldan

pjguldan Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy and scornflakes repped this.
  24. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sound like you are on the side of the negotiating table of the cable companies. Soccer has to sell themselves hard no doubt, but that is what MM is getting paid to do - negotiate the most favorable deal in terms of $$ to team, coverage and availability to fans. I've liked MM historically as a person but frankly it is time for new blood in his role. Someone hungry to make a name for themselves and to be the "hardest working" GM (or whatever the hell the title is nowdays) in the league. A deal maker and value creator. A progressive thinker and creative mind. Current BS posters need not apply.

25. jschwarz

jschwarz Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going with TWC would be a huge mistake. Why would you limit the number of people who can watch the games?

I used to be a TWC customer and had problem after problem with them. I have DirectTV now and I will NEVER go back to TWC.

I don't want to be forced to buy the MLS tv package to see away games. I'm already dropping the cash to be a season ticket holder. If I can't see all the away games I'll lose interest real quick.

Freddy repped this.