The Court of Arbitrary Arbitration - Random Facts, Thoughts, Etc.

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2101 Ashur, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    [​IMG]
    Shocked and sad to hear about the passing of Claude today. Was an Arsenal fan obviously (and a mainstay on AFTV for a while) but he was well known in the YT football fandom community for his passion and colorful antics.
    Rest easy Claude...

SF19 repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    This was the last communication he reportedly had on Twitter. Not knowing the cause of his passing, not going to blame this Pitabdhi person but the bottom line is, he's a pos nonetheless, simple as.
    Another example (as if there aren't more than enough at this juncture) why social media comps need to do a much better job in terms of policing their sites. This person has deleted their account apparently which says enough. This is not acceptable behavior just because you benefit of the shield of anonymity. Seriously doubt this person would have the balls to bring that same type of energy irl. It's pathetic to be honest...

3. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    On what grounds would you punish that person if you were an SMC?

J'can repped this.
  4. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good question.

@Ashur dude seems like impolite but nothing that rises to the level of bullying discrimination or racism, sexism etc for me.

5. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Maybe the guy was even trying to be funny.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2107 Ashur, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Cancel culture is a myth. People with power don't like being held accountable. If you ******** up, I reserve the right to a) tell you you ********ed up b) take my business elsewhere or c) tell everyone how you ********ed up. Those things have always existed. Cancel culture is being used by the same people and in the same way as the term 'fake news' when people didn't like the facts deployed against them.

jnielsen repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure their 5 followers will notice.

benni... repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :whistling:

Swansea's decision apparently followed several of their own players getting abused on social media. Lowe above is one but at least 2 others were as well (Yan Dhanda and Ben Cabango while he was on intl duty with Wales).

A few top flight managers (Potter, Hassentutl and Allardyce) have already spoken on the issue and publicly offered their support.

13. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    7 ********ing days lolololololol

Hahahahahahahaha

J'can and Chaz Striker repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Def worth giving this a listen....

15. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i was thinking about something from the '6' debate in the transfer thread and i was trying to think of any players past or present that could play AM/DLP & DM at a very high level. basically someone with the ability to be pretty good defensively and offensively

can anyone offer examples? not many come to mind at all.

best fit i could come up with was Roy Keane?

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Cocu could play every position on the pitch
    Ballack
    Keane
    Robson
    Alonso
    Helguera

To a lesser degree:

Veron
    Veratti
    Gundogan
    Vidal
    Yaya Toure
    Vieira

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 and J'can repped this.
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2117 Ashur, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Matthaus and Cesc. Modric and Gerrard belong on that list as well. Can't really leave out Scholes either if we're being honest...

J'can repped this.
  18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I considered them all. I don't think they fit.

Cesc AM and DLP but not DM. He never once did that job and he's too lightweight.

Modric comes closest and maybe he's a fair choice. Gerrard never had the defensive discipline to be a 6. Scholes could never tackle.

19. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    cheers

some good names there. not sure i agree with too many though. Cocu Vieira Touré i am on board with. never seen Ballack play DM not even at Kaiserslautern. pivot at chelsea at best? capable mid for sure. Helguera was defensive for sure. i don't recall any high level offensive contributions from him.

to do both AM/DM at a high level is a rare skillset. rare occurrence to even get the chance to. i was thinking the list at a very high level for both is probably 5 or less

johno repped this.
  20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ballack and Helguera didn't play as DM (ballack) and AM (helguera) but they both had the ability. Ballack could have played DM, his spatial awareness and reading of the game was good enough but he'd have been wasted as a DM because he was so good breaking forward.

Helguera could do everything but I think he, like Keane played further away from goal because it was best for the team. I'm more than willing to stipulate to Helguera and Ballack didn't 'actually' do it, but I think they could have.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most are not traditional holding mids (Gerrard was the closest perhaps, particularly at the end of his career, Matthaus was as well: even played further back towards the end of his career as well). The rest have been deployed as DLP's at one point or another (which is a form of 6), just as they played in various more attacking role as well.
    From the question posed as I understood it, the only players who qualify from your list as far as I'm concerned were: Robbo, Ballack, Cocu, Gundogan, Veron, Vidal and of course Yaya. Just like the players submitted from my list, all known as uber complete and versatile midfielders/players.
    Helguera was a goal threat on set pieces but he was not as rounded as others on the list: really was CB who could play DM (or vice versa if you prefer): don't recall seeing him deployed either in a B2B or attacking mid role, whether it was with Real or with Spain.

22. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    yes! this is one thing i hate about football in recent times. people focus on utter nonsense and false narratives.

Ballack was labelled as a perennial loser in finals yet he has more medals than at least 95% of footballers. his international goal scoring record as a mid was on par with top forwards! but of course... people focus on what he lost instead of what he won or did or was. Robben as well to an extent.

Lukaku's poor first touch is similar to this. instead of saying look at his scoring rate compared to the best forwards despite his first touch being shaky that's all most people seem to see or remember

Sofabloke and johno repped this.
  23. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    TBF, most United fans dislike Ballack for his time at Chelsea. Might be part of the reason for the dismissal of his accolades.

24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well i meant fans in general. not sure why United fans came up

25. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Ballack did have unfortunate spell of finishing runner-up while at Leverkusen. He was stuck with that tag of silver medalist ever since.