The Court of Arbitrary Arbitration - Random Facts, Thoughts, Etc.

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've said something along those lines previously and just as before, I just don't get where it's coming from. Why, because those are players from just over 20yrs ago? That argument is just not valid to me. Talent is talent and there was class/elite level players all over the pitch. I have absolutely no doubt that placed in today's environment, they'd be successful.
    Agree however that the 08 team was superb as well and not much would separate those sides (or the other teams of the Prem era). Your repeated dissing of the 99 team though is frankly odd, almost to the point of risible. No offense...

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well a 442 in that style would get overrun

your strikers were good 9s but neither elite imo

beckham lack of pace would be an issue. Your cbs and gk would stand the test of time and the cms but I don’t see how that team stands up

I do t think the invincibles would either

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the 99 team faced and beat pretty much all the top teams in Europe at the time and they'd be overrun today? Interesting... And I assume there is no room for adaptability and/or tweaks in tactics from teams and managers in your line of thinking (whether it's from SAF and that team or from the teams facing them)?
    Stacking teams like the United from 99 or the Invincibles against the best teams of today would produce interesting matchups, but I don't see them being overrun especially when we consider the talent available in both those teams...

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Man said Yorke & Cole weren't elite.

Futbol_Head repped this.
  5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    an astounding lack of understanding of the 99 side

johno and Anonymous_United repped this.
  6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I watched football back then as I had access unlike a lot of non Europeans on here at that time (no internet)

u had one team that was any good in the league and look how close the table was

the cl run was amazing but a lot of luck involved etc

I just think your 08 team would blow them away

7. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    see what i mean. every CL run to the title involves a fair bit of luck.

saying we were a Bergkamp penalty away from anything is stupid. Arsenal's invincibles were a cheating Pirès against Southampton or a van Nistelrooy penalty away from being nobodies.

anyone can play that game and it's pointless. the table being close has nothing to do with anything

Sofabloke and thebigman repped this.
  8. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Whole Mourinho's legacy is based on a wrongly called offside goal.

9. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I like this.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  10. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Real won 3 Cl on trot with fair bit of luck..

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’m talking about a side being dominant. Like Liverpool this year or city. I just feel like the 442 would get blown away by other premier league all time teams as like arsenal 98 etc they are a thing of their time that would get dominated in midfield nowadays the way football has changed

12. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Like SAF said great players can play in any era, Football was diff back then but this is how its always been, thing evolves. If you think Giggs Scholes Keane Beckham would get walked over by current Liverpool midfield i wont be arguing further.

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’m not saying the Liverpool players are better individuals, what I’m saying is, tactically they would get pressed to death

keane and scholes are much better individuals than the Liverpool players in the middle for sure

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And once again, don't you think that SAF would have dealt with that? He switched the formation to a 5 men midfield in Europe, when the majority of the fans were vocally against it.
    Keane was a very press resistant CM and so was Scholes so Pool's press would have been a concern, yes but it's highly doubtful that the 99 team would have been 'run over' as you keep on claiming. A simple example of a tweak would have been to add Butt in midfield, just to name one.
    It's absolutely amazing that you can't give 2 of the greatest football managers in recent years any kind of credit, espcially given the studs at their disposal both in that Treble winning team or in the Invincibles. I'm no Arsenal fan but I wouldn't dare disrespect/dispute the quality of: Vieira, Henry, Cole, Lauren, Campbell, Pires, et al. Come on now...

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And have York or Cole vs vvd? On their own? Neither really played as a solo striker

also beckham would get overloaded with mane and Robertson

Neville would be isolated. Irwin and Giggs with taa and salah with firminho pulling your cbs about

I think the 04 arsenal side wouldn’t compete either. Football evolves

16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    more nonsense.

no system is inherently bad even if it isn't popular at a certain time. if you have good enough players it will work.

quite why you think any of this junk is beyond me? you really think Yorke or Cole never faced a better defender than van Dijk? you really think Beckham's pace is an issue when he never relied on it at any point? or that he never faced a pressing team or player on his flank?

none of these so called problematic players are ATGs or even premier league bests. i genuinely don't know where this is coming from and have to seriously question if you even actually watched the 99 side

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I watched plenty, did you? If you think your team minus either Cole or Yorke with butt in the middle wouldn’t get beaten by Liverpool or last seasons city your mad

football has evolved and changed so much. Players are fitter and quicker these days and guys like keane and vieira would be yellow carded within the first ten minutes

I see it the way 2011 went back Barca, Utd were out dated and stale and got a footballig lesson, much like arsenal in any meaningful cl tie under wenger post 2006

the
    Movement of your 08 side with carrick and scholes who would
    Play through a press with a better cb pairing and forwards is so much better, but it’s just my opinion

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another opinion, one I'm definitely more in line with compared to Fox Sports' rankings.

And eventhough, it dates from last year, doesn't make much difference as far as this current Pool team is concerned (still 4-5th placed team at best as far as I'm concerned).

19. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well there you go. fast, fit players and pressing must have "evolved" or been invented in the last 10 years by Klopp and Guardiola.

silly me

20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Let's just all agree the Invincibles side that Arsenal fans love to drool over wouldn't even crack the top 5.

johno and benni... repped this.
  21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don’t think they are as good as some arsenal fans think

vieira and Gilberto were excellent at the time but they were not creative players

kolo toure was also suspect at times

the pairing up top is the best in premier league history for me but I don’t think they are the best

22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Imagine thinking that prime Giggs and Irwin were outmatched by ANY pair of players. You are talking ATG LW and Prem Great LB. Utter madness to suggest that Salah and Trent would be superior AT ALL. Giggs put the fear of god in every team we faced. Juventus trembled at the mention of his name.

23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed. When it comes to all time great PL players, Mo Salah isn't anywhere near the top.

24. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    Cristiano Ronaldo's 2007-08 season is the single greatest season by a player in English football history.

johno repped this.
  25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Giggs wasn’t a prolific scorer like salah. Liverpool’s system is completely different. Giggs was a more traditional winger who came inside (His brothers wife) when he got older

salah plays off the right as a false 9

mane is also more prolific than Giggs was. The 2 striker system would get beaten comfortably these days by Liverpool or city imo