News: The Coronavirus Outbreak Puts UEFA Euro 2020 At Risk

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by mixpix442, Mar 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Oh, for sure there are some, like in Italy. Some WC titles I donot respect because of "transfers" from nation to nation.
    Italy had some Argentinians.
    I wasnot critisizing your point, just wondering about the Costa one.

unclesox repped this.
  2. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    #77 Every Four Years, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Question for everybody here entertaining @feyenoordsoccerfan and @Real Mardin's doomsday prediction:
    In the worst case case scenario could they just make Euro 2020 Euro 2024 and give Germany Euro 2028?

After all, we already spent over a year including Nations League playing qualifiers and it would really be kind of unfair to just take that away from the teams that qualified. Especially teams like Finland and Wales that rarely qualify for major tournaments and might not make it to the next edition. At this rate even later tournaments like the 2022 WC might be postponed anyway. Why not just use the already played qualifiers for Euro 2020 for Euro 2024?

It would decrease the number of extra match dates we would need and we won't have had teams play for over a year for nothing.

Granted it would be slightly unfair to teams with new talent that might qualify for 2024 but didn't for 2020, but someone is getting screwed regardless and I would rather screw some theoretical team that might have qualified for 2024 than a team that already spent a year to qualify for a tournament that didn't happen.

(And to be fair teams in some confeds already play WC qualifiers three years in advance - is five completely beyond the realms of reason? And the expanded CWC if it had happened would have had teams playing games that could technically be considered part of the qualifying process five years in advance)

It's an unprecedented situation because we've never seen something like this where a major tournament was cancelled after all (or almost all) the qualifiers had already been played. It's a difficult call for sure, but this is my view personally as to the best way forward.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

Indeed it would be a shame especially for the smaller nations that qualified for Euro 2020 if the tournament got cancelled altogether. But I don't see the need to change the host nation for Euro 2024.

4. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Having it in Germany’s not a big problem, you’d just have to redo the draw. I don’t really care too much either way, the main point is finding a way to avoid just voiding a year of qualifying matches.

5. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    euro 2021 should be in Germany and Portugal as they both are controlling the corona virus fairly well.

artielange84 repped this.
  6. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Can we just ignore this and pretend it does not exist? It is only a 2-3% death rate. We should just let it spread and develop immunity as soon as possible. It will make things go a lot faster. Have any of you been hearing about all these protest in the USA against the quarantine orders? Not to get too political but they are violating the constitution and nothing is over the constitution even pandemics. Now that is only for the USA, and I am not sure how these things work in European Countries, but its just a thought. I honestly don't care about this at all, and am not taking this seriously. We should just get on with life and forget about it. It will definitely spread a lot more but that is part of life I'm afraid.

7. #83 feyenoordsoccerfan, Apr 20, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    So you wish people to die a horrible death comparable to waterboarding, but now actually they drown in their own lung fluids. It tells me what kind of a person you are and I donot want to read anything coming from you anymore so I put you on ignore. Your poster name "Mean Machine" is appropriate, as you wish on people a terrible death and as a side effect of that an over load at the IC's causing non corona victims to die because of inavailability of IC units.

Nani_17 and BocaFan repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Are you this stupid? If X is the death rate and every one gets the virus than X% of the world's population will die.

Whereas if only 1 in every 20 people get it, the death count will be 20 times lower.

Also the death rate depends on the ability of hospitals to treat the sick. If everyone gets the virus the death rate will obviously be much higher.

You don't think its worth shutting down countries for two months to save 50 million lives?

Which part of the constitution do you think they are violating?

Nani_17 repped this.
  9. It could become interesting to see what UEFA is going to do if indeed 2021 is unrealistic. It also means most likely qualification matches for the Qatar 2022 will be impossible to have taken place, so how is FIFA going to handle that?

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, will be interesting to follow these developments. Some confederations still have quite a lot of time before they need to think about a Plan B (e.g. UEFA), while others may already need to think about changing their format if the matches in the upcoming June FIFA break can't be played (AFC).

I love CONMEBOL's WC format but I fear that it will be gone forever unless they can find some way to play behind closed doors in June.

11. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Yes I am well aware that 2-3% is a lot of people, but did you know that 22 million people in the USA filed for unemployment benefits? What if they run out of money? If you don't have money to live you die as well. Imagine how many people are dying that way too?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Rights to assemble and large gatherings are being revoked from us. If you mean shutting down the country for only 2 months then yes it is worth it to save 50 million lives. However, that means 2 months ONLY, and after the 2 months we are back to normal including large gatherings, no social distancing, and everything as it was before. If I was promised that, I would say ok to shutdown the country, but I am not.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Oh, so dramatic. Sure its a tough time financially for many people (others are saving more money than ever, mind you), but 'starving to death'? Nah.

So what is your point then? If you are saying that nothing will be normal even after the government lifts the lockdown, then you at least realize that it wouldn't have been normal if a lockdown never occurred. People would've been losing their jobs either way.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's a little mutation away from saving the planet for real.

14. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Why do Americans get so hung up about some stuff scribbled down by a bunch of slave owners 230 years ago? It's like a religious cult. And the bit about the need for a well regulated militia justifying the right of random nutters to stroll down shopping malls with AK47s, what's all that about?

calabrese8 and BocaFan repped this.
  15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not only that, but they misinterpret what was scribbled down in the 18th century. The first amendment is one that is actually still quite relevant today (#2 not so much), but "Freedom" doesn't mean you can just do whatever you want.

16. Yup...ease the measures against the virus while nothing has changed (no vaxx/no cures/no virus mutation into harmless mode) and be surprised.
    So if nothing has changed this Hokkaido situation is a stark warning and an indication that Euro 2021 is an illusion.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52305055
    Coronavirus lockdown: Lessons from Hokkaido's second wave of infections
    By Rupert Wingfield-Hayes BBC News, Tokyo
    16 April 2020

It was once seen as something of a success story - a region that worked to contain, trace and isolate the virus - leading to a huge drop in numbers. But Hokkaido is in the spotlight again as it struggles to deal with a second wave of infections.

[​IMG]

BocaFan repped this.
  17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    To be fair, as I understood it the main purpose of the lockdown was to 'flatten the curve' so that everyone doesn't get sick at the same time. I don't think it was to wait-it-out until a vaccine is available or until the virus mutated.

18. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    We have no idea right now if people who have recovered from COVID-19 are subsequently immune to it. People get coronaviruses from the same broad family as COVID-19 (though less dangerous) all the time and are then reinfected with the same thing later the same year, sometimes more than once.

Coronavirus "immunity" tends to not be long-lasting to begin with and we don't have a vaccine for this one, which has a significantly higher mortality rate. Almost all of us, including myself, are ignorant about this stuff, but reading just a little bit of info about these viruses from reputable sources can be very enlightening.

Now more than ever, please do not look to America for answers or follow its lead. The U.S. has 4% of the world's population yet is home to approximately 33% of COVID-19 cases and 27% of its deaths. You want to follow the lead of people who are ignoring those numbers?

19. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Lol I have that guy on ignore because he just keeps posting the same thing over and over again and doesn’t engage with anyone else’s posts. Had to press “see ignored content” for your post to make sense.

Setting that aside, my personal opinion is the lockdown will have to end by sometime this fall at the latest. Certain higher-risk individuals will have to continue to work from home and so on, but the rest of us will just have to live with the virus and use some common sense.

But I don’t know where sporting events will fall on the list of priorities when it is decided that things will start to reopen.

20. The first priority with it was to prevent complete breakdown of the health care system. In the Netherlands before the virus hit we had 1150 ic units availble. That ic capacity was fast being occupied by corona patients in such a tempo we would soon run out of units. So lockdown was set up in ever stricter ways as the patients kept on coming into the hospitals and ic units, combined with huge efforts to crank up the number of ic units.
    April 29th the number of patients in our ic units were 1207, so more than the capacity we started with. The aim was to expand the capacity to 2000 in a few weeks time to keep ahead of the influx of corona patients and they succeeded in doing so.
    Now the focus is indeed on keeping the influx within manageable numbers=keep the curve/influx flat. It however is in wait for the solution in the form of cure/vaxx.
    How high the level of the lockdown is going to be depends on how the curve is behaving after letting it losen a bit in the plans we now have.
    The article about Hokkaido however is a stark warning that without solutions like cure/vaxx you soon might be in danger territory again regarding pressure on the health system.
    Anyway, that Hokkaido article is from the 16th of april and contains new insights about the consequences of steps Euro gouvernments are going to take next week.
    So what that "Every Four Years" guy is burping about is only a sign that he wants to read what fits in his believes.

21. And the first shots have been fired.

https://www.reuters.com/article/hea...uefa-executive-committee-member-idUSL4N2CI1O7
    Soccer-Virus can affect calendar for years: UEFA executive committee member

April 30 (Reuters) - The COVID-19 crisis could hit soccer’s international calendar for “two to three years” and potentially affect the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, Lars-Christer Olsson, an executive committee member of European soccer’s governing body UEFA has said.

The novel coronavirus, which has infected over 3.13 million people globally causing more than 218,000 deaths, has wreaked havoc on the soccer schedule with Euro 2020 postponed to 2021 and national leagues and continental club competitions on hold.

The Qatar World Cup is set to take place from Nov. 21-Dec. 18, 2022 and Olsson said it was a case of “wait and see” if the quadrennial event would be hit.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...ts-football-faces-three-years-disruption.html
    Now coronavirus could hit the World Cup: UEFA chief admits football faces 'two or three years' of disruptions... with the Qatar tournament in December 2022 at risk
    • Coronavirus has brought football to a halt across the world in recent months
    • UEFA chief believes international game could be affected for 'two or three years'
    • That means the 2022 World Cup in Qatar could be at risk due to the pandemic

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    At this point soccer is a small concern. If deaths spike up after re-opening, we're in a world of trouble.

23. A former and late Liverpool coach begs to differ in opinion with you:

Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.

Bill Shankly